(OT) BE WARNED

  • bashirfan
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2007
      My Mum passed this on to me and I thought I would pass it on.

      MC

      If you belong to ANY Yahoo Group - be aware that Yahoo is now
      using "Web Beacons" to track the Internet navigation of every Yahoo
      user. It's similar to cookies, but allows Yahoo to record every
      website And every group you visit -ANYWHERE- on the Internet, even
      when you're Not connected to Yahoo.

      To stop this privacy invasive surveillance, go to Yahoo's updated
      privacy statement at:

      http://info.yahoo.com/privacy/us/yahoo/details.html

      Click on the word 'cookies' on this part (Yahoo! automatically
      receives and records information on our server logs from your
      browser, including your IP address, Yahoo! cookie information, and
      the page you request. ) About ½ way down the page.

      Then click on 'Web beacon' in the left hand side column. Look for the
      paragraph with the title 'Outside the Yahoo! Network' At the end of
      this paragraph click on 'Please click here to opt-out.

      Then you're all done.

      Be careful (!) NOT to click the button shown on the resulting 'You
      have opted out successfully' Page. It is a "Cancel Opt-out" button
      that, if clicked, will UNDO the opt-out. Be warned!>

      I have already done this, but I'm not sure if this works for the
      whole computer or just individual users. This is part of the message
      I got....

      ...Important:

      Yahoo's monitoring -- and your ability to opt-out of it -- is NOT
      user-specific.

      It is MACHINE -and- BROWSER specific.

      *** This means you will have to set the cookie to 'Opt-out' on -
      Every- computer and -every- browser you use to access Yahoo and the
      rest of the Internet.
    • Elizabeth Schechter
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 1, 2007
        This is actually quite old news (several years old, I think). But thanks
        for passing it on again. I imagine that not everyone has seen it.

        --
        Elizabeth Schechter
        House Oakenhame