Re: [ShadowRealms] OT: Creative writing.

  • ja'von mccreary
    Message 1 of 10 , May 3, 2007
      I love to write. I wrote my first short story at age
      eleven. It was about a mermaid who lost her family and
      had to go on a journey to find them. Anyway I started
      doing personal poetry after my first funeral of
      someone close to me. I think I was fourteen. ever
      since then I really focus on that and encourage my
      class to do it also or express themselves in some form
      of writing. Some really think it is theraputic.
      Also I know in my class that I tend to address the
      general standard of the class so don't be perturbed
      when the professor does it.Just shine through with
      your stories.
      --- scarlet_lullaby13 <scarlet_lullaby13@...>
      wrote:

      > Last night I started my creative writing short
      > course, only to
      > discover I was the youngest one there!!Everyone else
      > had just come out
      > of retirement, and my teacher kept talking about
      > "personal experience"
      > as though only people who were 50+ had any life
      > experience. Now I may
      > be very young, but so far I have lived a far from
      > sheltered life,
      > (this is not to say I know all there is to life, as
      > quite the contrary
      > is true), hence I was a little perturbed. At what
      > age did you first
      > take an interest in writing Anne? Or anyone else for
      > that matter?
      >
      > Kathryn

      It's here! Your new message!
      Message 2 of 10 , May 3, 2007
        Actually, I don't interpret the phrase "personal experience" as meaning
        "young people need not apply." If you don't like that phrase, think of it as
        emotional truth. You begin with emotional truth. Age isn't relevant. Some things
        you may not understand at 15 (I'm just picking an age here) that you do
        understand at 30. But that doesn't mean someone who is young can't write stories.
        Doesn't mean those stories won't be good. Emotional truth: happiness,
        sadness, anger, fear, disappointment, shame, sorrow, anticipation. We begin all
        those experiences at an early age. Yes, some things are gained over the years of
        living, and that's a good thing. We see through different eyes over the
        seasons of our lives. That, too, is a good thing.

        So I wouldn't worry about "personal experience" 'cause if you're writing
        fantasy or SF, how many people do *you* know who have met a unicorn? But you can
        still make the wonder of it ring true. :)

        Anne

        (I was "writing" stories before I learned how to write.)

        In a message dated 5/3/2007 10:11:46 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
        scarlet_lullaby13@... writes:

        my teacher kept talking about "personal experience"
        as though only people who were 50+ had any life experience.

      • scarlet_lullaby13
        Message 3 of 10 , May 3, 2007
          > fantasy or SF, how many people do *you* know who have met a unicorn?
          But you can
          > still make the wonder of it ring true. :)<<<<

          :) I'll keep that in mind.

          I'm 18 by the way :)
        • vuysher
          Message 4 of 10 , May 4, 2007
            <and my teacher kept talking about "personal
            <experience"

            my creative writing lecturer in my 1st yr of
            university made what i think was the stupidest
            statement i heard in the whole time i was there "i
            dont give a 1st to anyone who isnt my peer" now
            correct me if i'm wrong here but most 1st university
            students would not be the 'peer' of the person
            teaching them! my personal opinion is that she was
            frustrated in her own work. there were things that
            happened over the course of the year that made me
            think she was insecure. if she made comments about
            work that had been read out to the group and some1
            questioned her regarding those comments because they
            felt that she had somehow misinterpreted something she
            got very defensive and would not clarify her points.
            needless to say many of us didnt have a good
            relationship with her
          • scarlet_lullaby13
            Message 5 of 10 , May 4, 2007
              <<<<<> I wrote two short stories and a bunch of poems..
              > I will glady share any info I have>>>>

              Thanks, I appreciate that:)
            • RoseOfMalice@aol.com
              Message 6 of 10 , May 4, 2007
                In a message dated 5/4/2007 3:46:09 PM Central Daylight Time,
                vuysher@... writes:

                >>...and some1
                >>questioned her regarding those comments because they
                >>felt that she had somehow misinterpreted something she
                >>got very defensive and would not clarify her points.

                I had a theology teacher like that in high school. I always wondered why they
                let the most bigoted jerk teach comparative religion. I can still remember
                asking if there was more of a difference between a cult and a religion than just
                numbers of adherents and he totally went off on this crazy rampage about how
                I needed to be saved.

                ~Ariel

              • scarlet_lullaby13
                Message 7 of 10 , May 5, 2007
                  <<<<I always wondered why they let the most bigoted jerk teach
                  comparative religion>>>>

                  My high school Christian Studies teacher (and Reverend)was exactly the
                  same. If you even slightly opposed or questioned his ideals he would
                  start by saying "no I'm sorry, that may be your opinion, but it's
                  wrong." You could debate with him for hours and it was the same
                  repeated statement every single time. I am yet to meet someone equally
                  as sexist, homophobic and prehistoric (in terms of science and societal
                  values).

                  On a different note, I started jotting down themes for a possible story/
                  stories, and have also started putting to paper a few of the thousands
                  of thoughts that flutter through my mind everyday, under the guidance
                  of my new teacher, of course.