Re: OT: Creative writing.

  • LadyDragus
    Message 1 of 10 , May 3, 2007
      I took a creative writing course in Collage, and I loved it.. My
      teacher did the same thing, but then in his next breath he would say oh
      never mind that..

      I enjoyed the class. I think the reason I started to write a few years
      ago, was the books I had been reading.. I thought if they can write
      stories like this, why cant I ??

      I wrote two short stories and a bunch of poems..
      I will glady share any info I have
    • ja'von mccreary
      Message 2 of 10 , May 3, 2007
        I love to write. I wrote my first short story at age
        eleven. It was about a mermaid who lost her family and
        had to go on a journey to find them. Anyway I started
        doing personal poetry after my first funeral of
        someone close to me. I think I was fourteen. ever
        since then I really focus on that and encourage my
        class to do it also or express themselves in some form
        of writing. Some really think it is theraputic.
        Also I know in my class that I tend to address the
        general standard of the class so don't be perturbed
        when the professor does it.Just shine through with
        your stories.
        --- scarlet_lullaby13 <scarlet_lullaby13@...>
        wrote:

        > Last night I started my creative writing short
        > course, only to
        > discover I was the youngest one there!!Everyone else
        > had just come out
        > of retirement, and my teacher kept talking about
        > "personal experience"
        > as though only people who were 50+ had any life
        > experience. Now I may
        > be very young, but so far I have lived a far from
        > sheltered life,
        > (this is not to say I know all there is to life, as
        > quite the contrary
        > is true), hence I was a little perturbed. At what
        > age did you first
        > take an interest in writing Anne? Or anyone else for
        > that matter?
        >
        > Kathryn

        It's here! Your new message!
        Message 3 of 10 , May 3, 2007
          Actually, I don't interpret the phrase "personal experience" as meaning
          "young people need not apply." If you don't like that phrase, think of it as
          emotional truth. You begin with emotional truth. Age isn't relevant. Some things
          you may not understand at 15 (I'm just picking an age here) that you do
          understand at 30. But that doesn't mean someone who is young can't write stories.
          Doesn't mean those stories won't be good. Emotional truth: happiness,
          sadness, anger, fear, disappointment, shame, sorrow, anticipation. We begin all
          those experiences at an early age. Yes, some things are gained over the years of
          living, and that's a good thing. We see through different eyes over the
          seasons of our lives. That, too, is a good thing.

          So I wouldn't worry about "personal experience" 'cause if you're writing
          fantasy or SF, how many people do *you* know who have met a unicorn? But you can
          still make the wonder of it ring true. :)

          Anne

          (I was "writing" stories before I learned how to write.)

          In a message dated 5/3/2007 10:11:46 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
          scarlet_lullaby13@... writes:

          my teacher kept talking about "personal experience"
          as though only people who were 50+ had any life experience.

        • scarlet_lullaby13
          Message 4 of 10 , May 3, 2007
            > fantasy or SF, how many people do *you* know who have met a unicorn?
            But you can
            > still make the wonder of it ring true. :)<<<<

            :) I'll keep that in mind.

            I'm 18 by the way :)
          • vuysher
            Message 5 of 10 , May 4, 2007
              <and my teacher kept talking about "personal
              <experience"

              my creative writing lecturer in my 1st yr of
              university made what i think was the stupidest
              statement i heard in the whole time i was there "i
              dont give a 1st to anyone who isnt my peer" now
              correct me if i'm wrong here but most 1st university
              students would not be the 'peer' of the person
              teaching them! my personal opinion is that she was
              frustrated in her own work. there were things that
              happened over the course of the year that made me
              think she was insecure. if she made comments about
              work that had been read out to the group and some1
              questioned her regarding those comments because they
              felt that she had somehow misinterpreted something she
              got very defensive and would not clarify her points.
              needless to say many of us didnt have a good
              relationship with her
            • scarlet_lullaby13
              Message 6 of 10 , May 4, 2007
                <<<<<> I wrote two short stories and a bunch of poems..
                > I will glady share any info I have>>>>

                Thanks, I appreciate that:)
              • RoseOfMalice@aol.com
                Message 7 of 10 , May 4, 2007
                  In a message dated 5/4/2007 3:46:09 PM Central Daylight Time,
                  vuysher@... writes:

                  >>...and some1
                  >>questioned her regarding those comments because they
                  >>felt that she had somehow misinterpreted something she
                  >>got very defensive and would not clarify her points.

                  I had a theology teacher like that in high school. I always wondered why they
                  let the most bigoted jerk teach comparative religion. I can still remember
                  asking if there was more of a difference between a cult and a religion than just
                  numbers of adherents and he totally went off on this crazy rampage about how
                  I needed to be saved.

                  ~Ariel

                • scarlet_lullaby13
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 5, 2007
                    <<<<I always wondered why they let the most bigoted jerk teach
                    comparative religion>>>>

                    My high school Christian Studies teacher (and Reverend)was exactly the
                    same. If you even slightly opposed or questioned his ideals he would
                    start by saying "no I'm sorry, that may be your opinion, but it's
                    wrong." You could debate with him for hours and it was the same
                    repeated statement every single time. I am yet to meet someone equally
                    as sexist, homophobic and prehistoric (in terms of science and societal
                    values).

                    On a different note, I started jotting down themes for a possible story/
                    stories, and have also started putting to paper a few of the thousands
                    of thoughts that flutter through my mind everyday, under the guidance
                    of my new teacher, of course.