OT: Creative writing.

  • scarlet_lullaby13
    Message 1 of 10 , May 3, 2007
      Last night I started my creative writing short course, only to
      discover I was the youngest one there!!Everyone else had just come out
      of retirement, and my teacher kept talking about "personal experience"
      as though only people who were 50+ had any life experience. Now I may
      be very young, but so far I have lived a far from sheltered life,
      (this is not to say I know all there is to life, as quite the contrary
      is true), hence I was a little perturbed. At what age did you first
      take an interest in writing Anne? Or anyone else for that matter?

      Kathryn
    • scarlet_lullaby13
      Message 2 of 10 , May 3, 2007
        *Retired*, not "come out of retirement". I was off with the fairies.
      • LadyDragus
        Message 3 of 10 , May 3, 2007
          I took a creative writing course in Collage, and I loved it.. My
          teacher did the same thing, but then in his next breath he would say oh
          never mind that..

          I enjoyed the class. I think the reason I started to write a few years
          ago, was the books I had been reading.. I thought if they can write
          stories like this, why cant I ??

          I wrote two short stories and a bunch of poems..
          I will glady share any info I have
        • ja'von mccreary
          Message 4 of 10 , May 3, 2007
            I love to write. I wrote my first short story at age
            eleven. It was about a mermaid who lost her family and
            had to go on a journey to find them. Anyway I started
            doing personal poetry after my first funeral of
            someone close to me. I think I was fourteen. ever
            since then I really focus on that and encourage my
            class to do it also or express themselves in some form
            of writing. Some really think it is theraputic.
            Also I know in my class that I tend to address the
            general standard of the class so don't be perturbed
            when the professor does it.Just shine through with
            your stories.
            --- scarlet_lullaby13 <scarlet_lullaby13@...>
            wrote:

            > Last night I started my creative writing short
            > course, only to
            > discover I was the youngest one there!!Everyone else
            > had just come out
            > of retirement, and my teacher kept talking about
            > "personal experience"
            > as though only people who were 50+ had any life
            > experience. Now I may
            > be very young, but so far I have lived a far from
            > sheltered life,
            > (this is not to say I know all there is to life, as
            > quite the contrary
            > is true), hence I was a little perturbed. At what
            > age did you first
            > take an interest in writing Anne? Or anyone else for
            > that matter?
            >
            > Kathryn

            It's here! Your new message!
            Message 5 of 10 , May 3, 2007
              Actually, I don't interpret the phrase "personal experience" as meaning
              "young people need not apply." If you don't like that phrase, think of it as
              emotional truth. You begin with emotional truth. Age isn't relevant. Some things
              you may not understand at 15 (I'm just picking an age here) that you do
              understand at 30. But that doesn't mean someone who is young can't write stories.
              Doesn't mean those stories won't be good. Emotional truth: happiness,
              sadness, anger, fear, disappointment, shame, sorrow, anticipation. We begin all
              those experiences at an early age. Yes, some things are gained over the years of
              living, and that's a good thing. We see through different eyes over the
              seasons of our lives. That, too, is a good thing.

              So I wouldn't worry about "personal experience" 'cause if you're writing
              fantasy or SF, how many people do *you* know who have met a unicorn? But you can
              still make the wonder of it ring true. :)

              Anne

              (I was "writing" stories before I learned how to write.)

              Message 6 of 10 , May 3, 2007
                > fantasy or SF, how many people do *you* know who have met a unicorn?
                But you can
                > still make the wonder of it ring true. :)<<<<

                :) I'll keep that in mind.

                I'm 18 by the way :)
              • vuysher
                Message 7 of 10 , May 4, 2007
                  <and my teacher kept talking about "personal
                  <experience"

                  my creative writing lecturer in my 1st yr of
                  university made what i think was the stupidest
                  statement i heard in the whole time i was there "i
                  dont give a 1st to anyone who isnt my peer" now
                  correct me if i'm wrong here but most 1st university
                  students would not be the 'peer' of the person
                  teaching them! my personal opinion is that she was
                  frustrated in her own work. there were things that
                  happened over the course of the year that made me
                  think she was insecure. if she made comments about
                  work that had been read out to the group and some1
                  questioned her regarding those comments because they
                  felt that she had somehow misinterpreted something she
                  got very defensive and would not clarify her points.
                  needless to say many of us didnt have a good
                  relationship with her
                • scarlet_lullaby13
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 4, 2007
                    <<<<<> I wrote two short stories and a bunch of poems..
                    > I will glady share any info I have>>>>

                    Thanks, I appreciate that:)
                  • RoseOfMalice@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 4, 2007
                      In a message dated 5/4/2007 3:46:09 PM Central Daylight Time,
                      vuysher@... writes:

                      >>...and some1
                      >>questioned her regarding those comments because they
                      >>felt that she had somehow misinterpreted something she
                      >>got very defensive and would not clarify her points.

                      I had a theology teacher like that in high school. I always wondered why they
                      let the most bigoted jerk teach comparative religion. I can still remember
                      asking if there was more of a difference between a cult and a religion than just
                      numbers of adherents and he totally went off on this crazy rampage about how
                      I needed to be saved.

                      ~Ariel

                    • scarlet_lullaby13
                      Message 10 of 10 , May 5, 2007
                        <<<<I always wondered why they let the most bigoted jerk teach
                        comparative religion>>>>

                        My high school Christian Studies teacher (and Reverend)was exactly the
                        same. If you even slightly opposed or questioned his ideals he would
                        start by saying "no I'm sorry, that may be your opinion, but it's
                        wrong." You could debate with him for hours and it was the same
                        repeated statement every single time. I am yet to meet someone equally
                        as sexist, homophobic and prehistoric (in terms of science and societal
                        values).

                        On a different note, I started jotting down themes for a possible story/
                        stories, and have also started putting to paper a few of the thousands
                        of thoughts that flutter through my mind everyday, under the guidance
                        of my new teacher, of course.