Re: [ShadowRealms] OT: reading a series

  • Soli
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 11, 2007
      Considering there have been a few series where I've been let down, I wind up
      buying them one at a time so long as I am still enjoying them. Though in the
      case of series that are out of print, if I can find ANY parts of the series,
      I will buy them no matter what order.

      If the series start getting weaker, I check them out from the library until
      either I get fed up or the series improves. The latter has yet to happen for
      me.

      Soli

      --
      one long, shining thread of coincidence
      quantumbutterfly@...

      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 11, 2007
        Soli wrote:

        <<If the series start getting weaker, I check them out from the library
        until
        either I get fed up or the series improves. The latter has yet to happen for
        me.>>

        Do you mean a series hasn't improved that has *more* than 3 or so books in
        it....for example,
        the Robert Jordan books? Or even in a trilogy/4 book series? There's been a
        couple
        of trilogies where I didn't think the 2nd book was as good as the first but
        the
        third was much better...so in that aspect (for me) the series
        improved...granted
        I'm talking only a trilogy here.

        Kandra

      • Soli
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 11, 2007
          Well, I haven't read Jordan but I'll throw out a few:
          Valdemar--around Silver Gryphon and the Owl series it started getting old
          for me
          Pern--I think I stopped at All the Weyrs. But I liked it still, just
          couldn't go on.
          LKH--The last two (not counting Micah) of Anita I've gotten from the library
          and been glad I didn't waste my money. I don't even want to borrow Mistral's
          Kiss, I've been so disappointed.

          Of course I also seem to develop a love for authors whose works are mostly
          out of print: Diana Paxson, Lisa Goldstein, Kara Dalkey, Michaela Roessner,
          to name a few.

          Soli

          --
          one long, shining thread of coincidence
          quantumbutterfly@...

        • Shannon Wilson
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 11, 2007
            Yes I do that, if I read one book and love it, and it is part of a series, I then buy the rest of the series. Then if they have more than one series and I enjoyed the first one I go after the rest of them. I actually did that with Anne's books and read them to close together, so I didn't enjoy the ones with the Fae because I was expecting another world like the Black Jewels. I have actually and thankfully had really good luck with authors so far.
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 11, 2007
              Soli wrote:

              <<Well, I haven't read Jordan but I'll throw out a few:
              Valdemar--
              Pern--
              LKH--<snip>.>>

              I read McCaffrey's Pern series a long time ago...but not any of the most
              recent
              Pern books..I don't have any interest in doing so.
              I've never been much of a ML fan ::dodges the rocks thrown by ML fans!:: <g>
              I stopped reading Anita awhile back...actually, I did read Obsidian
              Butterfly but
              before that I had grown tired of the series a few books before. I haven't
              tried her
              Gentry series as the Anita books had put me off so much. Of course, that's
              just
              me :)

              <<Of course I also seem to develop a love for authors whose works are mostly
              out of print: Diana Paxson, Lisa Goldstein, Kara Dalkey, Michaela Roessner,
              to name a few.>>

              Naturally. However, some of the above authors I haven't heard of. In what
              genre do they generally write and what were your favorite books/series of
              each?

              Kandra, heading off to look up a few authors...
            • tarnished_unicorn69
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 11, 2007
                Not necessarily,I will generally get two to three books before I make
                up my mind,except in unusual cases like Anne's Black jewels and yes I
                do try other series by the same author.(usually by way of the library)
                On the the getting tired of, no, when I notice that happening I put
                that author off to the side and pick up something else

                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 11, 2007
                    Ieshea wrote:

                    <<Not necessarily,I will generally get two to three books before I make
                    up my mind,except in unusual cases like Anne's Black jewels and yes I
                    do try other series by the same author.(usually by way of the library)>>

                    Okie.

                    <<On the the getting tired of, no, when I notice that happening I put
                    that author off to the side and pick up something else>>

                    Do you go back then?? If so, does your original enthusiasm return or not?

                    K.
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 11, 2007
                      Shannon wrote:

                      <<Yes I do that, if I read one book and love it, and it is part of a series,
                      I then buy the rest of the series. Then if they have more than one series
                      and I enjoyed the first one I go after the rest of them. >>

                      What happens if you don't like the 2nd series?

                      << I actually did that with Anne's books and read them to close together, so
                      I didn't enjoy the ones with the Fae because I was expecting another world
                      like the Black Jewels. I have actually and thankfully had really good luck
                      with authors so far.>>

                      nod nod...I think that can happen when you read all of one author in a row.

                      K.
                    • tarnished_unicorn69
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 11, 2007
                        I usually go back when something will remind of it or I see it sitting
                        on my bookshelf,and the enthusiasm really depends on my mood but
                        usually yes because I read thru all my books about every 6 months and
                        if it doesn't interest me within a year I get rid of it

                        --- In ShadowRealms@yahoogroups.com, "Kandra" <lovestoread@...> wrote:
                        Do you go back then?? If so, does your original enthusiasm return or
                        not?

                        K.
                      • Jim C. Hines
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jan 12, 2007
                          <When you read a book by an author and you loved the book, do you then go
                          out
                          and buy/read every book by that author? If it's part of a series, do you buy
                          just every book in that series or do you go and buy any other books/series
                          by that author?? Do you then sometimes read so much of that author all at
                          once that you then become tired of her/him?>

                          Usually I'll buy one book at a time, even if it's a series. But there are
                          exceptions. And I will sometimes grab omnibus editions, like the Black
                          Jewels Trilogy which my brother picked up for me for Christmas :-)

                          -Jim
                        • Adrienne Roehrich
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jan 12, 2007
                            I sort of answered this question in another post. By the way, I average 55
                            books or so a year, which I'm surprised at as I know sometimes it takes
                            forever for me to read a book, but sometimes it takes hardly any time at
                            all, so maybe that is why. For those who scoff at so few books, keep in
                            mind I am a chemistry graduate student who commutes one hour each direction
                            every day and is married with two elementary school aged kids. The fact I
                            have time to read at all often blows my mind. I usually get to read for
                            about 10 minutes when waiting to pick kids up from school or over my 10
                            minutes lunch. Not the easiest way to read books.

                            Anyway, I do tend to obtain the whole series of an author at once. However,
                            I try not to spend much money on books, so I obtain books via the library
                            and bookcrossing. If I really like a book, I will look for a way to add it
                            to my collection permanently. Some authors get added irregardless at this
                            point: Bishop and Carey. Actually, other authors who used to fit that I
                            don't becuase their writing started to stagnate for me: Card and Lackey come
                            to mind. So, I guess it just depends.

                            --
                            http://bookcrossing.com/referral/adrienne10
                            http://360.yahoo.com/adrienne10_99

                          • Soli
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jan 12, 2007
                              On 1/11/07, Kandra <lovestoread@...> wrote:

                              > "actually, I did read Obsidian Butterfly but before that I had grown
                              > tired of the series a few books before."

                              OB was the last Anita book I REALLY enjoyed--almost no sex and ver heavy on
                              PLOT!

                              <<Of course I also seem to develop a love for authors whose works are
                              mostlyout of print: Diana Paxson, Lisa Goldstein, Kara Dalkey, Michaela
                              Roessner,to name a few.>>

                              > Naturally. However, some of the above authors I haven't heard of. In what
                              > genre do they generally write and what were your favorite books/series of
                              > each?

                              They're all fantasy of various varieties.
                              Goldstein is somewhere on the border with fantasy and magical realism.
                              Roessner did a great duology set in medieval Florence--The Stars Dispose and
                              the Stars compel
                              Dalkey's done a few Japanese themed books, I just finished the Nightingale
                              last night. She also had a series set in India in an area where the
                              Protuguese occupied.
                              Paxson does a lot of historical fantasy, as well as the Westria series.
                              Westria is set in an alternate future where the earth spirits rose up
                              against maltreatment, and the two groups to best survive were the SCA types
                              (for knowing how to live without tech) and the pagans (for knowing how to
                              speak to earth spirits). I've only read the most recent, but I do recommend
                              it--The Golden Hills of Westria. It should be out in paper soon.
                              (I've also been friends with Diana for a few years now, and she's really an
                              amazing woman overall.)

                              Soli

                              Message 14 of 19 , Jan 12, 2007
                                Jim wrote:

                                <<Usually I'll buy one book at a time, even if it's a series. But there are
                                exceptions. And I will sometimes grab omnibus editions, like the Black
                                Jewels Trilogy which my brother picked up for me for Christmas :-)>>

                                Good for you...a great Xmas present!! :)

                                Soo....what 2 books would you have with you if stuck on a deserted island??
                                :)

                                Kandra

                                P.S. You really didn't think I'd let you get away with just answering ONE of
                                the
                                questions did you?? :)
                              • Jim C. Hines
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jan 12, 2007
                                  <Soo....what 2 books would you have with you if stuck on a deserted
                                  island??>

                                  Well, I'd probably take the page proofs for my next goblin book, since I
                                  need to turn those in ASAP. And the other book would be "Building a
                                  Satellite Phone from Coconuts, for Dummies."

                                  Seriously? Probably Lord of the Rings, because I'd finally be able to take
                                  my time and really absorb it. And Battlefield Earth, because if I'm going
                                  to be on this island for a long time, I'll need something to wipe my--

                                  Ahem. I mean, Lord of the Rings and how about something by Janet Kagan,
                                  because her writing just makes me happy.

                                  -Jim
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jan 12, 2007
                                    Soli wrote:

                                    <<OB was the last Anita book I REALLY enjoyed--almost no sex and ver heavy
                                    on
                                    PLOT!>>

                                    I liked it for the very same reasons! :)

                                    <<Paxson does a lot of historical fantasy, as well as the Westria series.
                                    Westria is set in an alternate future where the earth spirits rose up
                                    against maltreatment <snip> but I do recommend
                                    it--The Golden Hills of Westria. It should be out in paper soon.>>

                                    They all sound interesting, Soli. The only one I'd heard of was Paxson
                                    and I keep thinking I've read something of hers before but if so it
                                    was a long time ago...and probably historical fantasy. I'll go check
                                    out the above book on Amazon.

                                    <<(I've also been friends with Diana for a few years now, and she's really
                                    an
                                    amazing woman overall.)>>

                                    Cool! It's wonderful to have an author as a friend and also a bonus to find
                                    that they're a pretty amazing person too! :)

                                    K.

                                  • Cubby
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jan 12, 2007
                                      i have series on my bookshelf that i have never read because i can't find all the books. But if i read a book out of order and like it then i search for all the others and don't read them till i have found them. And yes i have read myself out on some authors but i still buy their books and set them aside till i am ready to read them again. Dee

                                      YAHOO/AIM/AOL dragonscub1a ICQ 291581762 MSN drgnscub1@...

                                      "I can not create life... but I can breath on the remaining embers...Can simply BE...".

                                      Save the earth. It's the only planet with chocolate.

                                      EXERCISE is a DIRTY work. Everytime I HEAR it I Wash my mouth out with CHOCOLATE.

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jan 12, 2007
                                        Dee wrote:

                                        << But if i read a book out of order and like it then i search for all the
                                        others and don't read them till i have found them. And yes i have read
                                        myself out on some authors but i still buy their books and set them aside
                                        till i am ready to read them again.>>

                                        I've done the same in regards to finding all the books in the series. As for
                                        reading myself
                                        out of some authors, they pretty much stay "gone" from my shelves. I don't
                                        have the money
                                        to buy books from authors I no longer read. I've found over the years that
                                        for me once
                                        that's happened (that I am no longer interested in an author) that I stay
                                        that way. I tried
                                        once or twice to pick them back up a few years later but found that I never
                                        read the
                                        books, soo...I just drop them in favor of authors that I *do* really like
                                        and buy their
                                        books :)

                                        K.