OT: genres

    Message 1 of 23 , Jan 11, 2007
      3rd question:

      If you're reading a certain genre (fantasy, paranormal, mystery etc.) do
      you go with that genre until you burn out on it or do you switch around?

      Kandra

    • Shannon Wilson
      Message 2 of 23 , Jan 11, 2007
        I jump all over the place.

        Shannon
        If you're reading a certain genre (fantasy, paranormal, mystery etc.) do
        you go with that genre until you burn out on it or do you switch around?

        Kandra

      • tarnished_unicorn69

          Message 4 of 23 , Jan 11, 2007
            Shannon wrote:

            <<I jump all over the place. >>

            Me too...altho I usually stick with one for a little while.
            Then again, right now I'm reading a mystery and the other
            book I'm reading is fantasy....at other times it'll be
            both books are mysteries...or paranormal.

            K.
          • Adrienne Roehrich
            Message 5 of 23 , Jan 12, 2007
              I used to read fantasy/sci fi exclusively. Well, with the textbooks I read
              in college being the exception and non-fiction family health type books when
              I was a stay-at-home mom. However, in the last 4 years, I have read a lot
              of different genres and tend to jump around according to what I have on hand
              (over 2 shelves packed with to be read books) and what I feel like. My
              mother reads nearly exclusively mystery and she still finds new authors (and
              she reads well over 40 books in a month), so I think it would be difficult
              to burn out a genre. If you think you've burned out a genre, you've
              probably excluded authors based on some opinion other than the genre. And
              you've probably excluded a huge number of those authors.

              Adrienne

              --
              http://bookcrossing.com/referral/adrienne10
              http://360.yahoo.com/adrienne10_99

              Message 6 of 23 , Jan 12, 2007
                Adrienne wrote:

                << However, in the last 4 years, I have read a lot
                of different genres and tend to jump around according to what I have on hand
                (over 2 shelves packed with to be read books) and what I feel like.>>

                Only 2 shelves?? I'm JEALOUS!! :)

                <<mother reads nearly exclusively mystery and she still finds new authors
                (and
                she reads well over 40 books in a month), so I think it would be difficult
                to burn out a genre. If you think you've burned out a genre, you've
                probably excluded authors based on some opinion other than the genre. And
                you've probably excluded a huge number of those authors.>>

                Hmm...here I have a tiny disagreement. As in any genre these days there's
                sub-genres. In the mystery world there are: the cozy, the thrillers, the
                procedurals, British, historical, cat sleuths, women sleuths, hard-boiled
                etc. to name just a few. Then there's the sub genres under those...for
                example spy stories and psychological suspense under thrillers.

                Yes, you could just keep on reading all the subgenres and never run out
                of mysteries to read! However if you only like cozies and women
                sleuths, for example, then its easier to think you've run out of new
                authors. Of course, that's a very limited example.

                Your mother sounds like she enjoys reading most of the sub genres which
                really expands her reading possibilities! :)

                Kandra

              • Cubby
                Message 7 of 23 , Jan 12, 2007
                  I read all kids of books ficton, non-fiction, history, fantasy etc. And i usually don't stick with just one i usually read what fits my mood at the time. Dee

                  YAHOO/AIM/AOL dragonscub1a ICQ 291581762 MSN drgnscub1@...

                  "I can not create life... but I can breath on the remaining embers...Can simply BE...".

                  Save the earth. It's the only planet with chocolate.

                  EXERCISE is a DIRTY work. Everytime I HEAR it I Wash my mouth out with CHOCOLATE.

                • rchristoph
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jan 12, 2007
                    (over 2 shelves packed with to be read books)

                    OK, somebody please tell me that I am not the only one who alphabetizes
                    read books by author's last name...........

                    Ronda
                    .

                  • Cubby

                      Message 10 of 23 , Jan 12, 2007
                        Dee wrote:

                        <<I read all kids of books ficton, non-fiction, history, fantasy etc. And i
                        usually don't stick with just one i usually read what fits my mood at the
                        time.>>

                        Me too, altho I don't read non-fiction for the most part...nor straight
                        history which
                        would be a form of non-fiction I suppose. I do read historical mysteries...I
                        really
                        enjoy those!

                        Kandra

                        Message 11 of 23 , Jan 12, 2007
                          Ronda wrote:

                          << OK, somebody please tell me that I am not the only one who alphabetizes
                          read books by author's last name...........>>

                          Hmm, I don't exactly. I do my TBR shelves the same way I do my "already
                          read" shelves:
                          by genre...then by series if not a standalone. Within the series of course I
                          have them
                          arranged as to pub date. In looking over my shelves just now I find that I
                          do have
                          some alphabetized by author last name and some aren't. Most seem to be
                          alphabetized
                          by series name.

                          Kandra

                        • tarnished_unicorn69

                            Message 13 of 23 , Jan 12, 2007
                              Dee wrote:

                              <<wll lets see not only do i do them by alphabet but i do them by genre. Is
                              that sick but then again all my veggies are put together alphabetically and
                              my spices not only alphabetically but also wether they are baking, cooking
                              or misc, Yes my doctor agrees i have a very sick mind because my cd's,
                              dvd's, video's, clothes etc etc are the same way. But what he can't
                              understand is i couldn't care less if my house is spotlessly clean or not.>>

                              Oh my...I need you over here to get me organized! It is kinda strange that
                              you have the "compulsion"
                              to organize everything the way you do yet the house itself doesn't have to
                              be organized if you
                              see what I mean? heh!

                              Kandra, who's hoping Dee is on her way over to get her organized!

                              You'd have a field day...heck, a field WEEK over here Dee! ;)

                            • tarnished_unicorn69

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jan 12, 2007
                                    Ieshea wrote:

                                    <<kandra have you tried Wilbur Smith,I do believe that is his name,I
                                    can't find all my books yet>>

                                    Uhm, yes...."River God" was the one I read about 15 years ago I think.

                                    K.

                                  • Missy / Crystal Dolphin
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Jan 13, 2007
                                      Dee

                                      Nothing wrong with that. My books are split into Fiction and Non-fiction. Fiction is ordered by author and then title, or series if they have a series, under the series name and then in the order of the series. Exceptions are things that are series based with many authors like Star Wars or Star Trek. These are usually in chronological order of the series eg set 3 years after Return of the Jedi, etc and then in order of the series (very confusing when written). Non-fiction is ordered by subject and then title within subject.

                                      CDs are ordered by title since most of them are compilations or Movie Soundtracks. If there is a single artist it is by the artist/group. DVDs are alpha by title, if there is more than one with the same title because of remakes, etc then it is in release order.

                                      However the entire system has been disrupted by the filing system of the 2 year old. And I will not even get into the complex system that is paperwork filing.

                                      The kitchen has an entirely different rule set, but we have a very small kitchen and 2 very accomplished cooks with their own styles, so we compromise on the organisation of the kitchen so we both can find things.

                                      I have also managed to achieve having dedicated rooms throughout the house which makes organisation easier. The latest being the development of a play room for the 2 year old and baby when Junior is born in March/April this year.

                                      I blame being a Virgo and working for over 15 years in libraries and being trained as a paraprofessional for my organisation tendencies.

                                      Hugs

                                      Missy / Crystal Dolphin

                                    • Adrienne Roehrich
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Jan 13, 2007
                                        I think my quote of two shelves packed with TBR, which actually is 3, I
                                        forgot I got to expand into a new shelf because we moved our DVDs. My to be
                                        read shelves are separate from already read books shelves. All shelves are
                                        organized in some sense. But, I have over 11 sets of bookshelves in my
                                        house. So, each bookshelf has its own genre or subgenre as the case may
                                        go. Then each shelf within the bookshelf is organized, generally
                                        alphabetically for authors and series. I also tend to organize by size. I
                                        have hardcovers, trade paperbacks, mass market paperbacks, ARCs (which are
                                        an abnormal size for all the ones I have) and I can't stand to have tall
                                        books in the middle of a shelf. So, those have a complicated organization
                                        system that makes sense only to me. :)

                                        Adrienne

                                      • BJ Hunter
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Jan 13, 2007
                                          You should see my bookshelves! My youngest son is constantly clearing them
                                          off and dumping books all over the floor, and he isn't 2, he is 6! They are
                                          mostly coloring books, puzzles, and kids books, mine are in totes under the
                                          bed for safe keeping.... well as safe as I can manage anyway. BJ

                                          Message 20 of 23 , Jan 13, 2007
                                            Adrienne wrote:

                                            << So, each bookshelf has its own genre or subgenre as the case may
                                            go. Then each shelf within the bookshelf is organized, generally
                                            alphabetically for authors and series. I also tend to organize by size.>>

                                            I'm very jealous....11 sets of bookshelves! I only have 4. My kitchen table
                                            is piled with both new books and books that I've read and intend to get
                                            rid of. The new books on the kitchen table are sorted into genre, author,
                                            size etc.

                                            <<have hardcovers, trade paperbacks, mass market paperbacks, ARCs (which are
                                            an abnormal size for all the ones I have) and I can't stand to have tall
                                            books in the middle of a shelf. So, those have a complicated organization
                                            system that makes sense only to me. :)>>

                                            Doesn't sound that complicated to me :) I organize by shelf and pb/hb also.
                                            Well, first comes genre...then I start out with the hardbacks, author,
                                            series
                                            etc. What gets complicated for me is when a series has both pb and hb in
                                            it...as the pb version hasn't been released yet or the first couple of books
                                            in the series were issued in pb only then the last one or two went to hb for
                                            the initial release anyway. One set of bookshelves is devoted to computer
                                            stuff/books etc. but some TBR books have snuck in there..heh.

                                            K.

                                          • Cubby

                                              Message 22 of 23 , Jan 14, 2007
                                                aren't children just grand when they decide to redo mommie's things. LOL

                                                I blame my organized VS slob to be a Gemini cusp borned to Tarus. what else can i say its a definite 2 sided thing.

                                                plus the fact we grew up in the military and my dad insisted closets and drawers had to be organized to the Nth degree. same thing together but seperated into colors and blouses by colors and short sleeve, sleeveless, long sleeve etc. It was very difficult growing up with all the expectations.

                                                Message 23 of 23 , Jan 14, 2007
                                                  Dee wrote:

                                                  << as for the house my mother was extremely OCP and the house had to be
                                                  totally spotless at all times and it drove me nuts. now i leave books where
                                                  i was at while reading them, finally found my coffee table today and my
                                                  kitchen table also. LOL but then again it is almost time for my yearly
                                                  house inspection so i will get it done and forgot for another year.>>

                                                  Well, I'm a disorganized organizer for the most part. IOW, there's "piles"
                                                  of stuff
                                                  all over the place but generally I can find what I want in those piles. That
                                                  pile is
                                                  bills to be paid, that other pile is bills I've scheduled for online payment
                                                  etc.
                                                  Unfortunately these piles are all over the place. I have a love seat for a
                                                  couch. One
                                                  cushion is for me, the other cushion is for yet another pile of stuff and
                                                  for the cats
                                                  to lie on top of that pile and push it onto the floor...heh.

                                                  My mother was also a clean freak. I remember cleaning up after dinner one
                                                  night and
                                                  I left one grain of pepper on the stove. Literally one grain. My mother
                                                  freaked!

                                                  Kandra