interview

  • Hope Harris
    Message 1 of 23 , Nov 17, 2006
      Loved the interview. It was interesting what you said, Anne, about imagery
      and sounds. I'm quite a visual writer. And really try to be in the scene.
      I'm writing a sci fi/fantasy book and I'm putting together some collages of
      the characters. I've found pictures for the three main characters, probably
      breaking all sorts of copyright laws. But it's for my own use (heh heh) so I
      suppose it's all right!

      They are sexy male models for the hero and villain...<sigh>, what a
      temptation for my heroine!! I found a picture of a female US soldier sitting
      in a hall I think waiting to be shipped out. She had her elbows on her
      knees, her head in her hands and her gun across her lap. She looked so fed
      up. I 'cut' her out of the background and put her in front of a picture of
      an underpass with graffiti. It really captures her, somehow.

      I actually get more inspiration from films than books. I've also got a
      'soundtrack' I've put together to get a mood while I'm writing.

      Something that intrigued me about Jaenelle, is that I was 3/4 of the way
      through The Black Jewels Trilogy when I realised that you never had
      Jaenelle's point of view. It seemed very appropriate since she is made from
      the dreams of other people. She isn't an 'independent' character in that
      way, she belongs to everyone who yearned for her to come. But one thing that
      really impressed me was that you get such a vivid feel of her and feel like
      you know her from the inside, even though there's no scene from her point of
      view.

      And something else that interested me was that you have many points of view,
      but they never seemed like too many. They all contributed to the flow of the
      story and increasing knowledge of the characters.

      Hope
      Message 2 of 23 , Nov 18, 2006
        Since you're using them as a visual template for yourself, that's not a
        problem with copyright. It would be if you tried to put the actual pictures *in*
        the book, but it's just personal reference from what you've said.

        Anne

        Message 3 of 23 , Nov 18, 2006
          Yes, it is just to get a feel for the characters. I've also got two
          different times to write about - modern times and the past incarnations of
          the two main characters, so I've put different styles of collage and
          pictures to get a feel for the difference.

          Message 4 of 23 , Mar 14, 2008
            An interview I did recently is now up at _http://www.mcnallyrobinson.com_
            (http://www.mcnallyrobinson.com/)

          • Rinoa
            Message 5 of 23 , Mar 14, 2008
              Great interview, Anne, thank you for sharing. :-3 Now, if I may ask you a question, excuse me if you have answered something similar to this in the past: Do you ever have a character from your stories that almost seems as if they are sitting on your shoulder telling you their story?
              Everything just comes out so natural it's almost like you are writing a biography than creating?

              )O( Celest )O(

              Message 6 of 23 , Mar 14, 2008
                aharlib@...

                > An interview I did recently is now up at _http://www.mcnallyrobinson.com_
                > (http://www.mcnallyrobinson.com/)
                >

                > Anne

                Dear Anne,
                Excellent interview that really gives great insights into your writing
                process which is fascinating. Also, the hints about your next project makes
                me excited, can't wait!
                Cheers!
                Amy
                Message 7 of 23 , Mar 25, 2008
                  That's how it always feels--as if I'm there just out of the frame, so to
                  speak, recording everything.

                  As for coming out sounding natural, that's a high compliment since natural
                  tends to demand a lot of careful work. :)

                  Anne

                  In a message dated 3/25/2008 4:53:11 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                  rinoa_of_rivendell@... writes:

                  Do you ever have a character from your stories that almost seems as if they
                  are sitting on your shoulder telling you their story?
                  Everything just comes out so natural it's almost like you are writing a
                  biography than creating?

                  Home.

                  Message 8 of 23 , Sep 30, 2008
                    Here are the links to an interview I did recently for fantasy-news.com.

                    _http://www.fantasy-news.com/2008/09/28/anne-bishop-interview-english/_
                    (http://www.fantasy-news.com/2008/09/28/anne-bishop-interview-english/)

                    (in German):

                    _http://www.fantasy-news.com/2008/09/28/anne-bishop-interview/_
                    (http://www.fantasy-news.com/2008/09/28/anne-bishop-interview/)

                  • Amy Harlib
                    Message 9 of 23 , Sep 30, 2008
                      aharlib@...
                      That was excellent!
                      Cheers!
                      Amy

                      > Here are the links to an interview I did recently for fantasy-news.com.
                      >

                      > _http://www.fantasy-news.com/2008/09/28/anne-bishop-interview-english/_
                      > (http://www.fantasy-news.com/2008/09/28/anne-bishop-interview-english/)
                      >

                      > (in German):
                      >
                      > _http://www.fantasy-news.com/2008/09/28/anne-bishop-interview/_
                      > (http://www.fantasy-news.com/2008/09/28/anne-bishop-interview/)
                      >

                      > Anne
                      >

                      > **************Looking for simple solutions to your real-life financial
                      > challenges? Check out WalletPop for the latest news and information, tips
                      > and
                      > calculators. (http://www.walletpop.com/?NCID=emlcntuswall00000001)

                      7:25 PM
                    • Brenda Bronson
                      Message 10 of 23 , Sep 30, 2008
                        wow very cool interview. thanks for the link to it.

                        > Here are the links to an interview I did recently for fantasy-news.com.
                        >

                        > _http://www.fantasy-news.com/2008/09/28/anne-bishop-interview-english/_
                        > (http://www.fantasy-news.com/2008/09/28/anne-bishop-interview-english/)
                        >

                        > (in German):
                        >
                        > _http://www.fantasy-news.com/2008/09/28/anne-bishop-interview/_
                        > (http://www.fantasy-news.com/2008/09/28/anne-bishop-interview/)
                        >

                        > Anne
                        >

                        > **************Looking for simple solutions to your real-life financial
                        > challenges? Check out WalletPop for the latest news and information, tips
                        > and
                        > calculators. (http://www.walletpop.com/?NCID=emlcntuswall00000001)

                      • shelly
                        Message 11 of 23 , Sep 30, 2008
                          --Great interview Anne. I am so glad you send us these links. I
                          would never find them on my own. Can't wait for Shadow Queen.
                          Shelly

                        • Rowan222@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 23 , Sep 30, 2008
                            wonderful interview! thanks Anne!

                            Message 13 of 23 , Feb 22, 2009
                              Here is a link to an interview I did for Darwin's Evolutions.

                              _http://darwinsevolutions.com/_ (http://darwinsevolutions.com/)

                              Anne
                              **************Need a job? Find an employment agency near you.
                              (http://yellowpages.aol.com/search?query=employment_agencies&ncid=emlcntusyelp00000003)

                              Message 14 of 23 , Feb 22, 2009
                                Here is a link to an interview I did for Darwin's Evolutions.

                                _http://darwinsevolutions.com/_ (http://darwinsevolutions.com/)

                                Thanks, Anne :) For those of you who click on the first link above, you
                                need to remove that _ there....

                                http://darwinsevolutions.com/

                                K.

                                Message 15 of 23 , Mar 11, 2011
                                  Here is a link to an interview I did recently that has just been posted.

                                  http://briansherwin-artcritic.blogspot.com/2011/03/brian-sherwin-tonya-hoots
                                  -interview.html

                                  I did mention to them that Daughter came out in 1998. I anticipate they'll
                                  make the correction soon.