quality of book design and production

  • Hope Harris
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 31, 2006
      I just want to know what people think.

      I've got The Black Jewels Trilogy (Omnibus) and Dreams Made Flesh and they have been wonderfully produced and printed with good quality paper. I've covered them in plastic and they look great. I love the artwork and the print is attractive and easy to read.

      I can't say the same about The Invisible Ring, Pillars of the World and the rest of that trilogy. The print is so hard to read. And in my opinion the whole book is not very well designed. I don't know what Anne thinks but I know I was disappointed. I haven't read them yet, but I'm sure what's inside the covers will make up for the lack of quality production... :-)

      Hope

    • momof2nastyboys@verizon.net
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2006
        The BJT Omnibus and DMF are trade size, so that probably makes a big difference in the print and maybe the quality compared to regular paperback size. I don't want to dig mine out the are signed so they are wrapped up to check to see if they are printed by the same company. Maybe Anne can give you a better answer. BJ
        =====================
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 1, 2006
          In a message dated 11/1/2006 5:55:39 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
          momof2nastyboys@... writes:

          The BJT Omnibus and DMF are trade size, so that probably makes a big
          difference in the print and maybe the quality compared to regular paperback size.

          _____________

          BJ is correct. The big difference is that trade size paperbacks have the
          same production quality as hardcovers, but they still have the soft covers to
          keep the price down. Regular paperbacks tend to be tighter in terms of the
          typesetting, and there is a difference in the paper that is used to print them.
          In terms of quality and production, Ring and the Tir Alainn trilogy are
          typical of standard US paperbacks (although I think I can very good covers compared
          to a lot of authors' books).

        • Taesha Stevens
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 8, 2006
            i never saw anything wrong with the covers of the previous books, any of them. actually, as much as i admire the designs of DMF and the omnibus, i was really pissed that DMF won't match the other books i have.