OT: RPG's etc of any of Anne's works

    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 20, 2006
      Moya wrote:

      <<friends and i have been making RPG's (table top) and i was wondering
      if there is anyone out there who knows of/has considered in depth a
      Black Jewels RPG.>>

      If you go to Anne's website you'll see that addresses this. She won't give
      permission
      for any RPG's, MUDs, GURPs, etc. She's been advised that these type of
      things break her copyright so for legal reasons she will NOT give
      permission.

      Sooo.....to reiterate...no permission will be given by Anne due to legal
      reasons.
      This subject shouldn't be brought up again :)

      Thanks!!

      Kandra

    • Cenire Ikua
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 21, 2006
        ok i didnt know...wont do it then...thanks a bundle...kinda depressing but
        completely understandable...glad i asked first...that could have been rather
        embarassing *sheepish grin*...ok time to go back and burry my nose in books
        ^_^

        There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well
        written, or badly written. That is all.-Oscar Wilde

        >From: "Kandra" <lovestoread@...>
        >To: <ShadowRealms@yahoogroups.com>
        >Subject: [ShadowRealms] OT: RPG's etc of any of Anne's works
        >Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 00:57:42 -0600
        >
        >Moya wrote:
        >
        ><<friends and i have been making RPG's (table top) and i was wondering
        >if there is anyone out there who knows of/has considered in depth a
        >Black Jewels RPG.>>
        >
        >If you go to Anne's website you'll see that addresses this. She won't give
        >permission
        >for any RPG's, MUDs, GURPs, etc. She's been advised that these type of
        >things break her copyright so for legal reasons she will NOT give
        >permission.
        >
        >Sooo.....to reiterate...no permission will be given by Anne due to legal
        >reasons.
        >This subject shouldn't be brought up again :)
        >
        >Thanks!!
        >
        >Kandra

      • Taesha Stevens
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 27, 2006
          Anne, I have a question. I know you won't give permission for RPG's, but what about Blood-Chess? In the Invisible Ring, Jared and Lia play a form of Chess where each player rolls 2 dice at the beginning to determine the rank of their Queen (i.e. how many spaces she can move). Are we allowed to play that? Might we possibly get more of the rules in a subsequent book...maybe one that will be out soon...?

        • Rinoa
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 27, 2006
            That sounds like fun!

            Taesha Stevens <paganriot@...> wrote:

            Anne, I have a question. I know you won't give permission for RPG's, but what about Blood-Chess? In the Invisible Ring, Jared and Lia play a form of Chess where each player rolls 2 dice at the beginning to determine the rank of their Queen (i.e. how many spaces she can move). Are we allowed to play that? Might we possibly get more of the rules in a subsequent book...maybe one that will be out soon...?

            "Inside this bottle there's a message, I think your drinking way to much. If I had the strength to take the weight off you, I would."
            " Nin o Chithaeglir, lasto Beth daer: Rimmo nin Bruinen Dan in Ulaer!"
            Save a horse at Horses' Haven : WWW.HORSESHAVEN.ORG

          • Craig Corlis
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 27, 2006
              While I am not Anne, obviously, it seems to me that Anne has always said if
              you do something for yourself, it's fine - if you share it with others, she
              has issues with it. So if you and a friend want to sit down, roll a die and
              call your queen a Purple Dusk Queen, feel free - but if you start publishing
              rules for it on websites or emailing them around, it would be a violation.

              -Craig

              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 28, 2006
                In a message dated 8/27/2006 8:58:06 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                corlis@... writes:

                While I am not Anne, obviously, it seems to me that Anne has always said if
                you do something for yourself, it's fine - if you share it with others, she
                has issues with it. So if you and a friend want to sit down, roll a die and
                call your queen a Purple Dusk Queen, feel free - but if you start publishing
                rules for it on websites or emailing them around, it would be a violation.

                Craig has correctly indicated the line in terms of the business side of
                writing and the legal agreements required to use someone else's creative work.

                This might be a good time to explain what the business side of writing
                means. When a work, like a novel, is created, *everything* that can be done with
                the material belongs to the creator/author. So a writer writes a novel, and
                the novel is one form of the story/world/characters. Other potential forms are:
                foreign translations, movie screenplay, television (like the show "Bones"
                being based on Kathy Reichs' novels), play, audio, ebook, musical, RPGs, board
                games, action figures, and Black Jewels Ken and Barbie. The German, Czech,
                other translations--these are published after legal and binding agreements are
                signed. Same is true if a company wanted to develop an official Black Jewels
                RPG. Legal contract required. Same would be true if someone developed the
                Blood chess game and wanted to make it available to other people. Legal contract
                required.

                So the bottom line is, I'm sure there are folks who have played around with
                making a Blood chess game, based on the email I've gotten over the past couple
                of years. As long as it stays in their own home, it's not a problem for
                anybody. The moment the line is crossed from "playing this at home" to "put it on
                a website to share," you've stepped over into the business side of writing.
                And the business side is taken very very seriously.

              • momof2nastyboys@verizon.net
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 28, 2006
                  Yep, I have heard Anne Rice has sued a few times over such things, don't know how it turned out though. Probably scared the pants off somebody I am sure. BJ
                  =====================
                  The moment the line is crossed from "playing this at home" to "put it on
                  a website to share," you've stepped over into the business side of writing.
                  And the business side is taken very very seriously.

                  Anne
                • Craig Corlis
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 28, 2006
                    On 8/28/06, Kaeleer@... <Kaeleer@...> wrote:

                    > <snip>
                    > Black Jewels Ken and Barbie.

                    Ooooh! When are those due out!? Will Daemon/Ken come with an "action"
                    snake-tooth finger and tradable silk shirts?

                    -Craig, who is only kidding. No, seriously.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 28, 2006
                      In a message dated 8/28/2006 6:34:34 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                      corlis@... writes:

                      Ooooh! When are those due out!? Will Daemon/Ken come with an "action"
                      snake-tooth finger and tradable silk shirts?

                      -Craig, who is only kidding. No, seriously.

                      ROTFL

                    • momof2nastyboys@verizon.net
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 29, 2006
                        Geesh Anne, see what you did? lol Well, there are dolls that come in a coffin, I saw them at the bookstore. Actually, I kind of liked them! Everyone is just going to have to play with the Bratz dolls and pretend I guess lol BJ