Re: [ShadowRealms] Re: Some help on what to buy next please? Fae??

  • A Z
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 18, 2006
      Ah....thanks for giving me some of the low down and
      the recommendations. I read what i could on the
      official site, but sometimes it isn't enough to know
      what is going on. For me, Sebastian started off slow
      in the first chapter or 2 so i can't always go by the
      excerpts. Bought a hardcover not long ago after
      reading the excerpts on the author's site and
      regretted it. The excerpts on that specific author's
      site i found misleading as to what the story was about
      compared to what was in the finished book. Luckily,
      that rarely happens.

      I just finished up Dreams Made Flesh. I am glad we got
      to see what followed up to the events in the Queen of
      Darkness as well as how it started. That was a
      bittersweet first story. Saeten's was so sad and
      disturbing. Almost gave me nightmares. Saeten, Surreal
      and Sadi are my absolute favorites though to be
      honest, i love them all and i HATE the villians. I
      mean i really hate them and their actions. Usually, i
      can find something to sympathize or like about a
      villian in most books i read, but these....::shakes
      head:::
      Half the time i think they got off too lighlty for
      their actions! I hope that makes sense without me
      coming off too violent. It is the rape and abuse. I
      read the books to make sure everyone will make it and
      worry when they don't. It can be an emotional
      rollercoaster.

      I love the character of Surreal! She reminds me of my
      best freind with her attitude of just doing what needs
      to be done even if it is dangerous to her own life. I
      would love to see more on her in more books. One can
      always put in a vote for more on other supporting
      characters to get their own story told by Anne, right?
      :)

      I visited the bookstore again today while my husband
      got something at Best Buy. I am determined that i will
      finish up Anne's books so i am currently trying to
      talk my husband that i REALLY need those other 4 books
      i am missing now. He pointed out that i may read fast,
      but i still don't need all 4 in one night. I
      disagreed. But i held back as i am still waiting on
      them to get Pillars of the World first as they have
      the others, but not the first book so i went ahead and
      picked up The Invisibile Ring. I didn't want to start
      off reading a new series on the 2nd book. Almost did
      that with Jim Butcher's Dresden Files and came close
      to regretting it as it would've spoiled the previous
      books.

      I have only one major problem. After i finish this Fae
      series, what will i do for my Anne Bishop fix? Someone
      mentioned that she had another Black Jewel story in a
      short story collection or is that in the works and not
      released yet? I didn't see anything on the site for
      it.

      Shar

      http://mail.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 7, 2007
        There is always that chance. However, editors sure aren't going to do it.
        They'll either buy your story or not. But if you're looking at people to read
        your work in draft form to provide feedback--or just cheer you on to write the
        next chapter--than ask someone you really trust.

        My understanding of copyright is that once a creative work is in tangible
        form--that is, you have a hard copy--the copyright laws apply. Print out a hard
        copy, date it, and put it in a file before you show the work to someone.

        This is a common fear. We've all had it. The fact that someone did steal
        something from you once makes it harder to believe that it won't happen again.

        Until the story is in print, when it comes to the question of who sees your
        work, it really is all about trust.

        Anne

        In a message dated 6/7/2007 7:01:27 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
        tyflyygirl@... writes:

        I also wanted to ask anne if there anything she knew
        about the copyright laws. I'm so scared to even let
        someone read my work

      • Lori Schmitt
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 8, 2007
          I have a friend that writes music and he makes a practice of putting a
          finished piece in an envelope and mailing it to himself in care of the name
          of the song. When he gets it back, he doesn't open it but files it away.
          That way there is an un-opened copy with a postmark to establish date
          written. Don't know how it would hold up in a court of law, but he told me
          the attorney for the band recommended he do this. It was an interesting
          idea, however, so I thought I might share.

          Peace, love and dragons!

          Lori S
          > My understanding of copyright is that once a creative work is in tangible
          >form--that is, you have a hard copy--the copyright laws apply. Print out a
          hard
          >copy, date it, and put it in a file before you show the work to someone.

        • ja'von mccreary
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 9, 2007
            Thanks for that info after I read Anne's message I
            went and looked up some copyright laws and that was
            mnentioned for smaller works like poems and songs. It
            cost more to mail to yourself if its a manuscript
            because of the weight.