Re: [ShadowRealms] Re: Some help on what to buy next please? Fae??

  • Katie, Forsaken ST
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 18, 2006
      I personally think that's part of the beauty. That
      there's so many possibilities, yet so much closure.

      I remember Anne mentioned that the Tir-Alainn trilogy
      'ruined her' at the end of it, what with the emotional
      train-wreck the last book was. I hope you'll all
      excuse me for what sounds like speculating on Anne's
      behalf when she isn't here to speculate for herself,
      but I imagine she'll return there in her own due time.

      Morag
      =^..^=

      > i love the fae series. I discovered them first then
      > the Black Jewel series. And hopefully Anne will
      > write some more to the fae series there are so many
      > stings left untied.

      On Yahoo!7
      The new Yahoo!7 home page - scan your email inbox, start an IM conversation or update your blog
      http://au.yahoo.com/
    • A Z
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 18, 2006
        Ah....thanks for giving me some of the low down and
        the recommendations. I read what i could on the
        official site, but sometimes it isn't enough to know
        what is going on. For me, Sebastian started off slow
        in the first chapter or 2 so i can't always go by the
        excerpts. Bought a hardcover not long ago after
        reading the excerpts on the author's site and
        regretted it. The excerpts on that specific author's
        site i found misleading as to what the story was about
        compared to what was in the finished book. Luckily,
        that rarely happens.

        I just finished up Dreams Made Flesh. I am glad we got
        to see what followed up to the events in the Queen of
        Darkness as well as how it started. That was a
        bittersweet first story. Saeten's was so sad and
        disturbing. Almost gave me nightmares. Saeten, Surreal
        and Sadi are my absolute favorites though to be
        honest, i love them all and i HATE the villians. I
        mean i really hate them and their actions. Usually, i
        can find something to sympathize or like about a
        villian in most books i read, but these....::shakes
        head:::
        Half the time i think they got off too lighlty for
        their actions! I hope that makes sense without me
        coming off too violent. It is the rape and abuse. I
        read the books to make sure everyone will make it and
        worry when they don't. It can be an emotional
        rollercoaster.

        I love the character of Surreal! She reminds me of my
        best freind with her attitude of just doing what needs
        to be done even if it is dangerous to her own life. I
        would love to see more on her in more books. One can
        always put in a vote for more on other supporting
        characters to get their own story told by Anne, right?
        :)

        I visited the bookstore again today while my husband
        got something at Best Buy. I am determined that i will
        finish up Anne's books so i am currently trying to
        talk my husband that i REALLY need those other 4 books
        i am missing now. He pointed out that i may read fast,
        but i still don't need all 4 in one night. I
        disagreed. But i held back as i am still waiting on
        them to get Pillars of the World first as they have
        the others, but not the first book so i went ahead and
        picked up The Invisibile Ring. I didn't want to start
        off reading a new series on the 2nd book. Almost did
        that with Jim Butcher's Dresden Files and came close
        to regretting it as it would've spoiled the previous
        books.

        I have only one major problem. After i finish this Fae
        series, what will i do for my Anne Bishop fix? Someone
        mentioned that she had another Black Jewel story in a
        short story collection or is that in the works and not
        released yet? I didn't see anything on the site for
        it.

        Shar

        http://mail.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 7, 2007
          There is always that chance. However, editors sure aren't going to do it.
          They'll either buy your story or not. But if you're looking at people to read
          your work in draft form to provide feedback--or just cheer you on to write the
          next chapter--than ask someone you really trust.

          My understanding of copyright is that once a creative work is in tangible
          form--that is, you have a hard copy--the copyright laws apply. Print out a hard
          copy, date it, and put it in a file before you show the work to someone.

          This is a common fear. We've all had it. The fact that someone did steal
          something from you once makes it harder to believe that it won't happen again.

          Until the story is in print, when it comes to the question of who sees your
          work, it really is all about trust.

          Anne

          In a message dated 6/7/2007 7:01:27 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
          tyflyygirl@... writes:

          I also wanted to ask anne if there anything she knew
          about the copyright laws. I'm so scared to even let
          someone read my work

        • Lori Schmitt
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 8, 2007
            I have a friend that writes music and he makes a practice of putting a
            finished piece in an envelope and mailing it to himself in care of the name
            of the song. When he gets it back, he doesn't open it but files it away.
            That way there is an un-opened copy with a postmark to establish date
            written. Don't know how it would hold up in a court of law, but he told me
            the attorney for the band recommended he do this. It was an interesting
            idea, however, so I thought I might share.

            Peace, love and dragons!

            Lori S
            > My understanding of copyright is that once a creative work is in tangible
            >form--that is, you have a hard copy--the copyright laws apply. Print out a
            hard
            >copy, date it, and put it in a file before you show the work to someone.

          • ja'von mccreary
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 9, 2007
              Thanks for that info after I read Anne's message I
              went and looked up some copyright laws and that was
              mnentioned for smaller works like poems and songs. It
              cost more to mail to yourself if its a manuscript
              because of the weight.