Still the best of the summer.

  • artyfields
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 2, 2006
      Well, I haven't posted much this summer, did have a chance to read
      four books off duty, though. I guess out of the four, the best book I
      have read so far this year is still Shreds of Humanity, by Carpenter.
      Maybe it's because I could relate better to a S-F novel that didn't
      have aliens or space ships, but I think it was the characters that
      were so realistic to me and the plot that actually made sense. I
      wonder if any of you have had a chance to read it yet? I am still
      looking for other books like that which stick to human stories of
      adventure that take place on this planet.
      Take care, Art
    • A Z
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 3, 2006
        I just started reading SEBASTIAN today. I got
        introduced to Ann Bishop's books just this last month.
        The nice lady who moderates this list introduced me to
        her books while chatting on another mailing list so i
        owe her big. I now spend my time plotting and
        scheming on how to get the rest without breaking my
        bank account with school starting soon. Fustrating,
        but i will prevail! I just borrowed SEBASTIAN from the
        library (one of those 14 day books as it is in great
        demand) and was wondering if anyone else has read it
        and their thoughts? I heard there was a sequel book
        coming out soon so I am very happy. :)

        Shar

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Katie, Forsaken ST
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 3, 2006
          Hey Shar,

          Welcome to the list!

          I liked Sebastian quite a lot. The cosmology of the
          world is very intriguing, and i'm looking forward to
          finding out more when Belladonna comes out next year.
          I also found that Ephemera became familiar more
          quickly than the universes of Anne's other works-
          there seems to be a much quicker pace to Sebastian,
          probably because there's only two books, but it
          doesn't feel rushed. Which is nice.

          As for content... loved it. Absolutely loved it. I
          cried at bits.

          *sighs happily*

          Morag
          =^..^=

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 3, 2006
            Shar wrote:

            <<I just started reading SEBASTIAN today. I got
            introduced to Ann Bishop's books just this last month.
            The nice lady who moderates this list introduced me to
            her books while chatting on another mailing list so i
            owe her big.>>

            First, welcome to the list :) I'm really glad that you were
            introduced to Anne's books :) I'm assuming the "nice lady"
            must have been BJ.

            <<I now spend my time plotting and scheming on how to get
            the rest without breaking my bank account with school starting soon>>

            You might try half.com for Anne's other books...or of
            course the library. I just checked half.com and all of
            the Black Jewles Trilogy books are listed as is The
            Invisible Ring, Dreams Made Flesh, Pillars of the World
            and Shadows of Light etc. Of course, Amazon has a used store
            also. Naturally I have to mention Clarkesworld Books...I don't
            think he currently has any of Anne's books in his used section
            but he has an awesome store...and flat rate shipping no matter
            how many books you order. Also most of the new books are
            signed! :) (www.clarkesworldbooks.com) I buy almost all of
            my sf/sf fantasy books from Neil (Clarkesworld).

            <<but i will prevail! I just borrowed SEBASTIAN from the
            library (one of those 14 day books as it is in great
            demand) and was wondering if anyone else has read it
            and their thoughts?>>

            I'm sure you'll be hearing from others about their thoughts
            about Sebastion.

            <<I heard there was a sequel book coming out soon so I am very happy. :)>>

            Yep, it's called Belladonna and is scheduled to come out in March of 2007.

            Again, welcome to the list and look forward to hearing more from you!

            Kandra

          • momof2nastyboys@verizon.net
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 4, 2006
              Nice to see you here Shar! And I don't think I have to tell you 'happy reading', I know you are enjoying the books BJ