Hollywood does it again

  • armyxprt@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 11, 2006
      RE: Black Hole TV movie:
      I was so desperate for anything to watch that wasn't a re-run I dialed it in
      too. My, God, what a ridiculous mess. Hollywood just keeps topping itself
      in making junk movies that have absolutely no logic. This one reminded me of
      the old black and whites from the '50's where they stop the plot while the
      "Scientist" goes on at length explaining to the stupid laymen exactly how and
      why what is happening is happening. ("See, the Flux Capacitor interacts with
      the Fremlin valve to create...")
      Some of those movies were entertaining, like "Rocket Ship X-M," The Day the
      Earth Stood Still," and "It Came From Outer Space" in 3-D. I always forget
      the name of the one where the spacetronauts go to a planet with a vast
      underground energy machine and an invisible energy creature is created so Leslie
      Neilsen or somebody gets to shoot at it with a ray gun. It wasn't so bad for it's
      time, not like Abbott and Costello go to Venus. Actually, my favorite movie
      of that period was "Plan 9 From Outer Space" with Bela Lugosi, now a cult
      classic. We used to get together and drink beer and run that baby just so we
      could howl with laughter at the script lines, over the top acting and set
      lighting. Ed Wood will always be an icon for Hollywood's B movie fans.
      -The absolute best later period sci-fi movies, in my opinion are Terminator
      (both 1&2) and my favorite that best depicts classic S-F storytelling,
      "Alien" with Sigourney Weaver. "The Omega Man," based on the book "I Am Legend" was
      also in my Top 5. But I was disappointed in the remake of the "Body
      Snatchers," although Donald Sutherland is an excellent actor. I still prefer the
      Heinlein book, "The Puppet Masters." In fact I think I'll dig it out of my hoard
      and read it again. -Art