Jacqueline Carey

    Message 1 of 26 , Feb 4, 2006
      Katherine wrote:

      <<If you mean the duology, I **could not** finish the
      first book. Not because the writing was poor, though
      she was going for epic, but because it was making me
      depressed.>>

      Yep, I did mean the duology. I don't remember, Katherine...do
      you like George R.R. Martin?

      Oh, and I as I just finished writing to BJ, Carey does have a new
      book coming out in June. You can read about it on her website.
      But then, you probably already knew that :)

      Thanks!

      K.

    • RoseOfMalice@aol.com
      Message 2 of 26 , Feb 5, 2006
        In a message dated 2/5/2006 1:17:08 AM Central Standard Time,
        lovestoread@... writes:
        >>Well, that sucks. I see she has a new book coming out in June, Kushiel's
        >>Scion---returning back to
        >>the world of Phedre.

        Guess I better get on the stick and finish Kushiel's Avatar then!! I just got
        to the people of Saba like in August, then I put it down and my attention
        wandered to something else.

        ~Ariel

        Message 3 of 26 , Feb 5, 2006
          Katherine wrote:

          <<I'm looking forward to Kushiel's Scion. Phaedre from
          the perspective of Imriel! LOL Poor kid!>>

          I know!! Can you imagine?? Great set of parents he has too <g>

          K.

          Message 4 of 26 , Feb 5, 2006
            BJ wrote:

            <<I can't wait for that one, I am sure it will be a good one!>>

            I think so too :) :)

            K.

            Message 5 of 26 , Feb 5, 2006
              Ariel wrote:

              <<Guess I better get on the stick and finish Kushiel's Avatar then!! I just
              got
              to the people of Saba like in August, then I put it down and my attention
              wandered to something else.>>

              That's soo easy to do...I have a terrible habit of doing that...sometimes
              I have 5-6 books going at once which of course means that when I get back
              to the first one in that cycle I have to reread the previous 2 chapters.

              K.

            • Katherine Lazo
              Message 6 of 26 , Feb 8, 2006
                I meant the Imriel trilogy. Nothing new besides that.
                Sorry.

                Katherine

                Message 7 of 26 , Feb 10, 2006
                  <<I meant the Imriel trilogy. Nothing new besides that.
                  Sorry.>>

                  I didn't know there was to be a trilogy...so thanks, Katherine!

                  K.

                • momof2nastyboys@verizon.net
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jun 28, 2007
                    I couldn't get into those books, I think I tried about 5 times to make it through the first book and finally gave up. I liked the characters, I don't know what it was, it just wasn't sucking me in. I am not really a Lord of the Rings type I guess. BJ
                    =====================
                    I also enjoyed her
                    Sundering Duology, and I appreciate what chances she was taking with
                    it. Apparently it met with heavy criticism, but I thought it was a
                    really ambitious project and she was equal to the task.
                  • momof2nastyboys@verizon.net
                    Message 9 of 26 , Jun 28, 2007
                      No I haven't *sigh*. I have the first book of the Imriel trilogy, is Justice the newest one? I read the blurb and it sounds awesome. I would love to get to the first book in that series soon, but summer is a busy time around here. I think Kushiel's Dart was my fave in the first trilogy, although the ending of the 3rd book made me cry! The first one made me so mad, who she choses to kill off is heartbreaking! BJ
                      =====================
                      Ah, another Carey fan! Coolness!
                      Have you read Justice yet?
                    • Elizabeth Schechter
                      Message 10 of 26 , Jun 28, 2007
                        Justice is the newest Imriel book, and it's only been out about two
                        weeks. And it is very awesome. ;-}

                        momof2nastyboys@... wrote:
                        > No I haven't *sigh*. I have the first book of the Imriel trilogy, is Justice the newest one? I read the blurb and it sounds awesome. I would love to get to the first book in that series soon, but summer is a busy time around here. I think Kushiel's Dart was my fave in the first trilogy, although the ending of the 3rd book made me cry! The first one made me so mad, who she choses to kill off is heartbreaking! BJ--
                        Elizabeth Schechter
                        House Oakenhame
                        SCA: Aurelia Aurifaber. Barony of Darkwater, Kingdom of Trimaris
                        http://www.livejournal.com/users/ladysmith/
                      • scarlet_lullaby13
                        Message 11 of 26 , Jun 28, 2007
                          So uhh which book should I read first?
                        • Elizabeth Schechter
                          Message 12 of 26 , Jun 28, 2007
                            Kushiel's Dart starts the first trilogy

                            In order, it's
                            Kushiel's Dart
                            Kushiel's Chosen
                            Kushiel's Avatar

                            Second trilogy is
                            Kushiel's Scion
                            Kushiel's Justice
                            Kushiel's Mercy (comes out next year)

                            Message 13 of 26 , Jun 29, 2007
                              So I've been having a ton of trouble trying to find Kushiel's Scion...anyone
                              else? Is it just that popular? B&N, Borders...all my usual places never seem
                              to have it in stock, it's just a few copies of Dart, Chosen and Scion. I'm
                              finding it very weird, not to mention annoying!

                              ~Ariel

                              Message 14 of 26 , Jun 29, 2007
                                In a message dated 6/29/2007 7:08:55 AM Central Daylight Time,
                                RoseOfMalice@... writes:

                                all my usual places never seem
                                to have it in stock, it's just a few copies of Dart, Chosen and Scion.

                                Err....sorry. Meant Dart, Chosen and Avatar. Haven't had enough coffee yet.

                                ~Ariel

                              • Elizabeth Schechter
                                Message 15 of 26 , Jun 29, 2007
                                  I pre-order mine from Amazon the minute that they are available. So I
                                  have NO idea.

                                  --
                                  Elizabeth Schechter
                                  House Oakenhame
                                  SCA: Aurelia Aurifaber. Barony of Darkwater, Kingdom of Trimaris
                                  http://www.livejournal.com/users/ladysmith/
                                • Lexy Torell
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jun 29, 2007
                                    >>So uhh which book should I read first?

                                    If starting her books for the first time, I'd suggest starting with Kushiel's Dart. That's the first book of all the Kushiel's
                                    series. :)
                                  • finn13@ksu.edu
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Jun 29, 2007
                                      Quoting hauntedtoilet <janelle.wilbanks@...>:
                                      "I also enjoyed her Sundering Duology, and I appreciate what chances she
                                      was taking with it. Apparently it met with heavy criticism..."

                                      I loved Banewrecker and Godslayer. It was definitely written in a more
                                      high fantasy style then her other series, but I found it beautiful.
                                      The way I've been describing the two books to my friends: It's like
                                      Lord of the Rings, but it's told from Sauron's point of view and you
                                      find out that he's really a pretty good guy. Oh, and Gandalf is a
                                      jerk.

                                      Jenn
                                    • Katherine Lazo
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Jun 29, 2007
                                        I couldn't get into the Sundering duology, either. I kept trying, but the scenes just left me so depressed, even though I liked the characters.

                                        Katherine

                                        "momof2nastyboys@..."I couldn't get into those books, I think I tried about 5 times to make it through the first book and finally gave up. I liked the characters, I don't know what it was, it just wasn't sucking me in. I am not really a Lord of the Rings type I guess. BJ

                                      • momof2nastyboys@verizon.net
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Jun 29, 2007
                                          Has she said what she is doing after Kushiel's mercy? I hate to see the series end. BJ
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Jun 29, 2007
                                            I bet it is, I can't wait to read it, whenever that may be.... BJ
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Jun 30, 2007
                                              Apparently, she's hinting at another Kushiel trilogy, set in the future
                                              (in the future of that universe). She didn't say much about it when I
                                              saw her at Darkover, and I'll admit to not asking her.