Re: [ShadowRealms] currrently reading

    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 9, 2006
      In a message dated 06-01-09 09:38:37 EST:

      << Anne returns to the list when she has time, you can ask her if she plans
      to return to the realms. BJ >>

      Anne doesn't have an answer to that yet. :)

      Anne, surfacing for a moment before diving back into Ephemera
    • bj hunter
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 9, 2006
        Well, there is your answer Elena! BJ

        > Anne doesn't have an answer to that yet. :)
        > Anne, surfacing for a moment before diving back into Ephemera
      • Anna Bruening
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 9, 2006
          Wow, I think I just experienced my firt bit of
          star-struck!

          This is what was going through my mind..
          Anne?...Anne Bishop?....Anne Bishop the author of the
          Dark Jewels Trilogy? Ohmigod, that was just Anne
          Bishop. She just e-mailed this group. This is the
          coolest group ever. I'm on this group, that Anne
          Bishop just e-mailed. I'm sitting here and staring at
          an e-mail that Anne Bishop just wrote...

          It was a little crazy but ephemeral. It won't happen
          again.
          And don't worry, Anne, (if you're reading this). No
          tough questions. I've been visiting several of my
          favorite author’s websites and there seems to be a
          consensus in dislike for questions like--when are you
          going to write a sequel, or go back to xyz story.

          Anyway, I'll give my self a break from Jewels and read
          one of the other Bishop stories. Group-- any
          suggestions in which I should read next?

          happy reading
          Elena

          --- bj hunter <momof2nastyboys@...> wrote:

          > Well, there is your answer Elena! BJ
          >
          > > Anne doesn't have an answer to that yet. :)
          > > Anne, surfacing for a moment before diving back
          > into Ephemera

          "You don't throw away a whole life just 'cause he's banged up a little."
          Tom Smith, Trainer of Seabiscuit

          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 9, 2006
            I put my vote in for pillars of the world :o)

            Tracie

          • Jaeneva
            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 9, 2006
              hehe,

              You can make up for my silence then (-:

              I just sit here being a little quiet observer, afraid to say anything or bug
              Anne (-:

              I dunno... if I saw Patrick Stewart in a park, I'd look at him, and walk
              by... wondering if I'm making a mistake and should say "Hi" or if he gets so
              much of that he'd roll his eyes ::grins::

              Jae

              On 1/9/2006 5:14:19 PM, Anna Bruening (rileyrugrat@...) wrote:
              > Wow, I think I just experienced my firt bit of
              > star-struck!
              >
              > This is what was going through my mind..
              > Anne?...Anne Bishop?....Anne Bishop the author of the
              > Dark Jewels Trilogy? Ohmigod, that was just Anne
              > Bishop. She just e-mailed this group. This is the
              > coolest group ever.
              > I'm on this group, that Anne
              > Bishop just e-mailed. I'm sitting here and
              > staring at
              > an e-mail that Anne Bishop just wrote...
              >
              > It was a little crazy but ephemeral. It won't happen
              > again.
              > And don't
              > worry, Anne, (if you're reading this). No
              > tough questions. I've been
              > visiting several of my
              > favorite author's websites and there seems to be a
              > consensus in dislike for questions like--when are you
              > going to write a sequel, or go back to xyz story.
              >
              > Anyway,
              > I'll give my self a break from Jewels and read
              > one of the other Bishop stories. Group-- any
              > suggestions in which I should read next?
              >
              > happy reading
              > Elena
              >

              > --- bj hunter <momof2nastyboys@...> wrote:
              >
              > > Well, there is your answer Elena! BJ
              > >
              > > > Anne doesn't
              > have an answer to that yet. :)
              > > > Anne, surfacing for a moment before divin
            • MTNMan
              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 9, 2006
                Who is this Anne Bishop chick?

                On 1/9/2006 5:14:19 PM, Anna Bruening (rileyrugrat@...) wrote:

                > This is what was going through my mind..
                > Anne?...Anne Bishop?....

                Josh
                Malazan World Yahoo Group
                http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MalazanWorld/
                There is a slight flaw in my character

                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 9, 2006
                  Anna wrote:

                  < Greetings! My name is Elena and I'm new to the group.

                  Welcome to the list, Elena :)

                  < So I'm a 3rd year vet medical student. I've been an
                  avid fantasy reader since I was little -starting with
                  <snip>
                  < into my favorite past-time. I've been swapping books
                  < with some of my vet school friends and discovered Anne
                  < Bishop from a recommendation.

                  Very cool! When will you be graduating? Wish you lived near me...
                  I *really* have some cat questions I'd ask ;) I'm glad you
                  found Anne's books in the book swapping :)

                  < Some of my fav authors include (other than Anne
                  Bishop)..><snip> Drangonlance (all
                  Weis and Hickman) and Lloyd Alexander

                  I totally agree with you about Dragonlance...I read only
                  the Weis/Hickman books too. Have you read any of
                  their standalones??

                  < If you'd like to discuss some of the aspects of Dark
                  Jewels - please e-mail me (off list if you like).>

                  Doesn't need to be offlist and I'm certain that you'll find maybe one or
                  two people here who would discuss the BJT with you <g>.

                  Looking forward to seeing more of your posts,

                  K.

                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 9, 2006
                    Eta wrote:

                    < I am currently trying to read Wayfarers Redemption myself. I am having a
                    < hard time getting through it, though. Maybe it will pick up some.

                    I had the same problem, Eta...but for me it did pick up speed about mid-way
                    through :)

                    K.

                    Message 9 of 20 , Jan 9, 2006
                      Josh wrote:

                      < Im currently on Perdido Street Station by China Mieville, next up for me
                      is Warrior Prophet by Bakker and The Nightlife of the Gods by Thorne Smith

                      How are you liking Perdido Street Station? Since you're going to be reading
                      Warrior Prophet by Bakker I'm assuming you liked the first book: The
                      Darkness That Comes Before ?
                      I haven't read it yet...it's like 3rd in my TBR pile :)

                      < Malazan World Yahoo Group

                      I see by your sig that your an Erikson fan. So am I...bigtime! :)

                      K.

                    • Tracie Sharp
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jan 10, 2006
                        I've tried reading Mystic Warrior by Hickman, but I just can't seem to get through it. Anyone else actually read the whole book or even gotten into the second one?

                        Tracie

                      • Kimberly Bishop
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jan 10, 2006
                          I've tried reading Mystic Warrior by Hickman, but I just can't seem to get
                          through it. Anyone else actually read the whole book or even gotten into
                          the second one?

                          Tracie

                          I read both and didn't enjoy them anywhere near as much as the Dragonlance
                          books. I just couldn't get into the characters well - they seemed almost
                          shallow to me. I did just recently go back and re-read the original three
                          Chronicles and found that their character development and plots were a
                          thousand times more complex which made them such easy reads - you walk away
                          feeling as though you know the characters - just like you do with Anne's
                          books. Something was lost when Hickman wandered off on her own.

                          Kimberly K.

                          The scrape of winter's breath offers the perfect reason for souls to entwine
                          within the fire of loving hearts.

                        • momof2nastyboys@verizon.net
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jan 10, 2006
                            She wrote the books that are the reason this group exists, you haven't read them? BJ

                            >Who is this Anne Bishop chick?
                            > Josh
                          • rchristoph
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jan 10, 2006
                              I totally agree with you about Dragonlance...I read only
                              the Weis/Hickman books too. Have you read any of
                              their standalones??

                              I have read several of the Margaret Wiess books. I liked her Star
                              Guardian series.

                              Ronda

                            • solsticesinger
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jan 10, 2006
                                My best friend read one of Margaret Weiss's books. I think it was called
                                Mistress Of Dragons. She didn't think it was very good. In fact, she didn't
                                finish it. She told me what it was about, and I think I'll try it.

                                Shannon
                                solsticesinger25@...
                                > I totally agree with you about Dragonlance...I read only
                                > the Weis/Hickman books too. Have you read any of
                                > their standalones??
                                >

                                > I have read several of the Margaret Wiess books. I liked her Star
                                > Guardian series.
                                >
                                > Ronda

                                > ShadowRealms, discussion of great fantasy!
                                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                              • MTNMan
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jan 10, 2006
                                  Over all my view on Wies/Hickman isn't to high. The have done some decent books but in general everything they touch leaves a good bit to be desired. Take their Deathgate Cycle series. Its a great concept and they had some very very good ideas, but they never seemed to be able to capitalize on what could have been one of the better fantasy series.

                                  Their Dragonlance stuff is over all OK, but again nothing to really write home about.

                                  They seem to be good authors for introducing the younger demographic to the genre.