suggested reading

  • adrienne10
    Message 1 of 8 , May 8, 2005
      Hi,

      I have to agree that I've read quite a bit that I've liked based on the
      suggestion of this list. I believe there is a recommended reading list
      of authors that was voted on by group members in the files section.
      It's a starting point at least. Amazon.com usually has reviews of
      books, so you can get some idea about the book before you read it.
      Bookcrossing.com is also pretty neat. Sometimes you'll find books with
      reviews and sometimes not.

      Recently, I've read a couple books by Christopher Moore. Truly funny
      books. Here is the copy I read of Bloodsucking Fiends
      http://www.bookcrossing.com/journal/1733504/adrienne10/book_-Bloodsucking-Fiends:-A-Love-Story-Christopher-Moore

      and I just finished Practical Demonkeeping.
      http://www.bookcrossing.com/journal/2420440/adrienne10/book_-Practical-Demonkeeping-Christopher-Moore

      I don't think I would have enjoyed these books 10 years ago as much as I
      do now.

      I always highly recommend Jacqueline Carey as I think Kushiel's Legend
      is right up there with Anne's work. LKH is a fun read on the side. I
      used to not like sex in books and would skip sex scenes. Again, as I've
      gotten older, the sex scenes are fun, so I probably enjoy the books a
      lot more now than if I had read them even 5 years ago, let alone in my
      teens/college years. I have recently enjoyed Lynn Flewelling's work as
      well. Haven't gotten the first Nightrunner book, so will read her
      series when I do. Looking forward to the third in the Tamir Triad.
      Let's see, those are my recent reads. If you visit my bookshelf on
      bookcrossing, it has a lot of the books I've read and kept listed and
      many have reviews.

      Anyway, that's about it from me. Just wanted to put my couple cents in
      on books.

      Adrienne
    • Nonny
      Message 2 of 8 , May 8, 2005
        On 5/8/05, adrienne10 <lists@...> wrote:

        > LKH is a fun read on the side. I
        > used to not like sex in books and would skip sex scenes. Again, as I've
        > gotten older, the sex scenes are fun, so I probably enjoy the books a
        > lot more now than if I had read them even 5 years ago, let alone in my
        > teens/college years.

        I like LKH, too, though her later stuff is too high on the sex/plot
        ratio for me. I mean, I don't have a problem with sex in books, _at
        all,_ I rather enjoy it, but when there's more sex than plot in
        something that's supposed to be a fantasy novel ... err, no. I
        probably get a bit more miffed because her sex doesn't seem to really
        tie into the plot in most cases--it's gratuitous. If you're going to
        write erotica, make it _necessary_ in some way.

        /rant

        That said, I really do love the books up through Obsidian Butterfly. :)
        -----
        Nonny

        "Basic instincts, social life
        Paradoxes side by side
        Don't submit to stupid rules
        Be yourself and not a fool
        Don't accept average habits
        Open your heart and push the limits."

        -- Enigma
      • tracey deas
        Message 3 of 8 , May 9, 2005
          i love all of lkh books i have read them all both series the merry and the anita my faverite is the anita one my faverite people are jason he is cute and funny and nathaniel he is sweet and edward and anita her self
          1) i like the way jason can say anything to anita and she takes it to heart and not get mad like she does with every body eles
          2)i like how anita is seeing nathaniel as a person as he grows in to him self and he knows what he wants
          3)edward i like that edwaed is the perfect killer like anita two halfs of the same

          Message 4 of 8 , May 11, 2005
            Greetings, I absolutely love the BJT whenever I need a pick me up thats what I read.

            I've recently read: Shield of the Sky by Susan Krinard, the Fool's Gold trilogy by Jude Fisher, Bitten by Kelly Armstrong, Sword of Flame by Maggie Fury (its the 3rd book in the series), and Sorcery and Cecelia by Patricia C. Wrede and Caroline Stevermer.

            I've also just reread DMF and was wondering (not for the 1st time) what the Eyrien bladed stick is suppossed to be/look like?

            -Michelle

            Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

            Netscape. Just the Net You Need.

          • Kellen Stringer
            Message 5 of 8 , May 12, 2005
              >>I've recently read: Shield of the Sky by Susan Krinard, the Fool's Gold
              >>trilogy by Jude Fisher, Bitten by Kelly Armstrong, Sword of Flame by
              >>Maggie Fury (its the 3rd book in the series), and Sorcery and Cecelia by
              >>Patricia C. Wrede and Caroline Stevermer.

              I loved Cecilia and Sorcery when i was younger. Jude Fisher did Sorcery
              Rising? i have the next one after that i just haven't got to it yet. I just
              finished dhiammara, the 4th maggie furey in that series (artefacts of
              power). I haven't read any susan kinrade (unless she did wolfs touch but i
              think that was cheri scott). Kelley Armstrong Rocks, i think she is fab.
              If you like her try Kim Harrison (Dead witch Walking, The Good The Bad and
              The Undead and a new one coming soon) and Rachel Caine weather warden
              series. (Ill Wind, Chill Factor, Heat Stroke ??)

              >>I've also just reread DMF and was wondering (not for the 1st time) what
              >>the Eyrien bladed stick is suppossed to be/look like?

              I kinda imagined it like a 6ft pike with a long blade on (i think they had
              them in ancient japan called a Nagata i think or something like that).

              Kellen
            • tracey deas
              Message 6 of 8 , May 12, 2005
                i read alot and yes kelley armstrong is a keeper i'm waiting for the next book out this spring

                Kellen Stringer <viciouslittlething@...> wrote:>>I've recently read: Shield of the Sky by Susan Krinard, the Fool's Gold
                >>trilogy by Jude Fisher, Bitten by Kelly Armstrong, Sword of Flame by
                >>Maggie Fury (its the 3rd book in the series), and Sorcery and Cecelia by
                >>Patricia C. Wrede and Caroline Stevermer.

                I loved Cecilia and Sorcery when i was younger. Jude Fisher did Sorcery
                Rising? i have the next one after that i just haven't got to it yet. I just
                finished dhiammara, the 4th maggie furey in that series (artefacts of
                power). I haven't read any susan kinrade (unless she did wolfs touch but i
                think that was cheri scott). Kelley Armstrong Rocks, i think she is fab.
                If you like her try Kim Harrison (Dead witch Walking, The Good The Bad and
                The Undead and a new one coming soon) and Rachel Caine weather warden
                series. (Ill Wind, Chill Factor, Heat Stroke ??)

                >>I've also just reread DMF and was wondering (not for the 1st time) what
                >>the Eyrien bladed stick is suppossed to be/look like?

                I kinda imagined it like a 6ft pike with a long blade on (i think they had
                them in ancient japan called a Nagata i think or something like that).

                Kellen

              • Katherine Lazo
                Message 7 of 8 , May 13, 2005
                  If you liked Dead Witch Walking and The Good, The Bad and The Undead, you'll LOVE Every Which Way But Dead. DWW had a slow start and major info dumping, TGTBATU had me grinding my teeth at Rachel and the bed scene with Nick nearly killed the book for me, but EWWBD was a great read.

                  Re Rachel Caine's Weather Warden series, have you read "Oasis"? It's a short story that takes place between Heat Stroke and Chill Factor. By the way, the reading order is Ill Wind, Heat Stroke, "Oasis," Chill Factor, Windfall.
                  http://www.rachelcaine.com/oasis.htm

                  Katherine

                  Message 8 of 8 , May 13, 2005
                    That book wasn't due out until June. Is it released now in the U.S.? BJ