Re: newbie

  • bj hunter
    Message 1 of 21 , May 1, 2005
      We need one of the new members to start a discussion, or ask a
      question. Especially since some of you just read the trilogy. I am
      sure you have lots of questions! BJ

      --- In ShadowRealms@yahoogroups.com, tracey deas
      <mistressvanilla1@y...> wrote:
      > thanks for the welcome and wondering what everyone is reading or
      talking about
    • Nonny
      Message 2 of 21 , May 1, 2005
        On 5/1/05, bj hunter <momof2nastyboys@...> wrote:
        > We need one of the new members to start a discussion, or ask a
        > question. Especially since some of you just read the trilogy. I am
        > sure you have lots of questions! BJ

        *grins* Well, at this point, I think I've read the trilogy something
        like seven or eight times... perhaps more. That being said ... I've
        never quite been able to figure out what happened with Saetan in the
        end; it was left fairly vague. Did Dorothea and Hekatah actually go
        through with it? This is more a question for Anne than a discussion,
        though ...
        --
        Nonny

        "Basic instincts, social life
        Paradoxes side by side
        Don't submit to stupid rules
        Be yourself and not a fool
        Don't accept average habits
        Open your heart and push the limits."

        -- Enigma
      • Dana
        Message 3 of 21 , May 1, 2005
          I think nothing happened to Saetan although I do wish there was more on him and Sylvia. Maybe another short story Anne...*wink wink*. I just finished reading The Pillars of the World which is a really really good book. Although I have been spoiled with the Black Jewels Trilogy. I compare every other book to those and none of them live up to it. Thanks to Anne for that.

          "Life is not measured by the moments of breath you take but by the breath taking moments."

        • Ri MoonSong
          Message 4 of 21 , May 1, 2005
            One of the things I like so much about Anne's books is that even when they "end," there are questions that could easily lead to future short stories or novels. There's a lot about Saetan that is skimmed over. (Like what's revealed in _Dreams Made Flesh_ about the time Hekatah uses their son as a pawn in a trade agreement. I won't go further in case there's someone who hasn't had the pleasure of reading it yet.)

            Did anything happen to Saetan? Only he and Anne would know the answer, but I have a feeling we haven't heard the last of the High Lord of Hell. My take on it would be that there's only one person truly powerful enough to destroy him, and that would be Witch.

            As for comparing every other book or series to the Black Jewels Trilogy ...

            The Tir Alainn series is an entity in and of itself. There really is no comparison to be made. The books still have Anne's unique style, and there are still characters whose stories don't seem quite complete when the series ends, but it's a different subject altogether. The characters weild their powers over us and spin us into the webs of their lives and worlds just as they should in any good piece of literature.

            If I could be allowed to go off an an English teacher tangent for a moment --
            Think of Mark Twain, Herman Melville, John Steinbeck, and many of the other "classic" authors we have been raised on through the school systems we attended. Each of them wrote a great number of stories and novels, but which stand out in our minds? If you are like many of the people I know, the answers are, respectively, _Huckleberry Finn_, _Moby Dick_, and either _Of Mice and Men_ or _The Grapes of Wrath_. Does this mean that none of the other pieces they wrote "measure up?" Not necessarily. It just means that they were either the ones we loved or loathed in school, or they struck some chord with us as we read them.

            ~Shrugs~ Just my opinions.

            Dana <dana0086@...> wrote:
            I think nothing happened to Saetan although I do wish there was more on him and Sylvia. Maybe another short story Anne...*wink wink*. I just finished reading The Pillars of the World which is a really really good book. Although I have been spoiled with the Black Jewels Trilogy. I compare every other book to those and none of them live up to it. Thanks to Anne for that.

            "Life is not measured by the moments of breath you take but by the breath taking moments."

            ~*~ ~*~

            Ri MoonSong

            "Only connect . . . "

            (E.M.Forster on the title page to his novel Howard's End)

            ~*~~*~

          • Ronda L Christoph
            Message 5 of 21 , May 1, 2005
              *grins* Well, at this point, I think I've read the trilogy something
              like seven or eight times... perhaps more. That being said ... I've
              never quite been able to figure out what happened with Saetan in the
              end; it was left fairly vague. Did Dorothea and Hekatah actually go
              through with it? This is more a question for Anne than a discussion,
              though ...

              Saetan went to help Geoffry in the Keep library. They were going to do a
              census on the blood to see which ones survived, were broken, or who
              "disappeared". I think it is a chance for Saetan and Lorn to spend time
              together. I know that the few years between when Saetan met him and
              Janelle's purge would NOT be enough time for Saetan to find the answers for
              all the blood related questions he would have wanted to ask Lorn and Draca.

              Ronda

            • Diora

                Message 7 of 21 , May 1, 2005
                  Yup sounds about right, also Lorn tells Saetan that he is the Son of
                  his soul, and that they would spend many many nights talking about the
                  things he wanted to ask. So i like to think about Saetan and him
                  together when i think about the "end" of Saetan.
                • elynsynoseternal
                  Message 8 of 21 , May 2, 2005
                    Ri Moonsong Said :
                    " My take on it would be that there's only one person truly powerful
                    enough to destroy him, and that would be Witch."

                    I just remember several instances when Saetan thinks to himself that
                    Daemon could kill him, having the same jewel strength, being a black
                    widow also, but being younger and...I guess Saetan thought he (Daemon)
                    could win a fight between them...
                  • tracey deas

                      Message 10 of 21 , May 2, 2005
                        if saetan is lorn's son of the soul and witch is saetan soul what is daemon because in the books it says daemon's black jewel is just a little darker than saetan's and he ie stronger than his father

                        Diora <serradiora@...> wrote:Yup sounds about right, also Lorn tells Saetan that he is the Son of
                        his soul, and that they would spend many many nights talking about the
                        things he wanted to ask. So i like to think about Saetan and him
                        together when i think about the "end" of Saetan.

                      • Kim Vaz
                        Message 11 of 21 , May 2, 2005
                          I think the two facts are irrelevant. It's more a symbolic thing that
                          factual. Saetan and Jaenelle form a sort of father-daughter bond. Lorn
                          has probably felt a similar bond with Saeton, hence why he felt the
                          need to tell this to Saeton. On a side note both Saeton and Lorn have
                          know many lonely days, and I think part of the reason Lorn said that
                          was because Lorn knew it would have meant a lot to Saeton, who has
                          been alienated for much of his life(like Lorn)

                          On 5/2/05, tracey deas <mistressvanilla1@...> wrote:
                          > if saetan is lorn's son of the soul and witch is saetan soul what is daemon because in the books it says daemon's black jewel is just a little darker than saetan's and he ie stronger than his father

                          --
                          I lost nothing I regret losing
                        • Crystal Dolphin
                          Message 12 of 21 , May 2, 2005
                            Daemon is the perfect match for Jaenelle.

                            Crystal Dolphin, Still waiting for my copy of Dreams made Flesh to arrive
                            from overseas.
                            > if saetan is lorn's son of the soul and witch is saetan soul what is
                            daemon because in the books it says daemon's black jewel is just a little
                            darker than saetan's and he ie stronger than his father

                            > Diora <serradiora@...> wrote:Yup sounds about right, also Lorn tells
                            Saetan that he is the Son of
                            > his soul, and that they would spend many many nights talking about the
                            > things he wanted to ask. So i like to think about Saetan and him
                            > together when i think about the "end" of Saetan.
                            >

                            > ShadowRealms, discussion of great fantasy!

                            > ShadowRealms, discussion of great fantasy!
                            > Yahoo! Groups Links

                          • tracey deas
                            Message 13 of 21 , May 3, 2005
                              with witch's strong power gone is jaenelle still queen/black widow/healer
                              for me i would like to know more about the queen's/warlord's/warlord princes/ that made the first circle

                              Message 14 of 21 , May 3, 2005
                                Jaenelle was born a queen/healer/black widow, its been brought up many
                                many many times in this chat and YES she is still all three. She just
                                has twilights dawn now, not the blacks/ebony's to draw on for power.
                                If you look back through previous posts i believe theres some from
                                Anne herself on this.
                                Tay
                                P.S We ALL love Jaenelles first circle ;p
                              • tracey deas

                                  Message 16 of 21 , May 5, 2005
                                    This comes out in Dreams Made Flesh. Basically it's like Jaenelle wields multiple lesser jewels (lighter than ebony) and is now capable of finer control.

                                    Katherine

                                    tracey deas wrote:
                                    so now jaenelle has twilights dawn any idea what she can do with it

                                  • Erin
                                    Message 17 of 21 , May 5, 2005
                                      in dreams made flesh its explained exactly how
                                      powerful twighlights dawn is and what jaenelle can and
                                      cant do. It doesnt come right out and say it, but if
                                      you pay attention there are examples.. I dont want to
                                      write it down here because i dont want to spoil it for
                                      those who havent read the book.
                                      <mistressvanilla1@...> wrote:
                                      > so now jaenelle has twilights dawn any idea what she
                                      can do with it

                                      > Diora <serradiora@...> wrote:Jaenelle was born
                                      a queen/healer/black widow, its been brought up many
                                      > many many times in this chat and YES she is still
                                      all three. She just
                                      > has twilights dawn now, not the blacks/ebony's to
                                      draw on for power.
                                      > If you look back through previous posts i believe
                                      theres some from
                                      > Anne herself on this.
                                      > Tay
                                      > P.S We ALL love Jaenelles first circle ;p
                                      >

                                      > ShadowRealms, discussion of great fantasy!

                                      Yahoo! Terms of Service.

                                      removed]

                                      ~ ~ ~
                                      A good friend will bail you out of jail...
                                      A BEST friend will be in the cell next to you
                                      Saying,"Damn that was fun!"

                                      Yahoo! Mail Mobile
                                      http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail