Re: [ShadowRealms] Re: karlas consort

  • adrienne10
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1, 2005
      I think in RL, you'd meet few people who "chose" their sexual preference
      based on trauma. There are a lot of sexually abused men and women and it
      is a disservice (especially for men because it is a common assumption) to
      insinuate that because a person was abused sexually, they chose their
      sexual preference. IE, a female abused by a male now only seeks female
      lovers, or (this is the one that holds an high emotional charge) a male is
      abused by a male so now seeks male lovers, etc. Please don't perpetuate
      hurtful myths. And don't forget, there are truly "asexual" people out
      there. I have a couple friends of both genders who just have no interest
      in a sexual relationship with anybody, regardless of gender. There is
      simply no attraction. Maybe for them, they just haven't met the right
      person yet.

      I don't think Anne insinuated where Karla's non-attraction to men comes
      from, and I think readers trying to determine may cross the line to
      inappropriate.

      Adrienne

      At 09:07 PM 3/31/2005, you wrote:

      >In DMF we learn that Karla has no interest in males. However, it is
      >not mentioned if the reason for that is a sexual preference or from
      >trama inflicted by her uncle.
      >
      >--Kim
    • elynsynoseternal
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 1, 2005

        > >In DMF we learn that Karla has no interest in males. However, it is
        > >not mentioned if the reason for that is a sexual preference or from
        > >trama inflicted by her uncle.
        > >
        > >--Kim

        Firstly, I dont believe that anyone in these last few comments has
        suggested that abuse can or will cause a deviation of sexual
        preference. Secondly, if you will look closely, you will see that
        Kim
        doesn't suggest that Karla may have 'chosen' to be a lesbian. She
        merely suggests that Kalra is EITHER repulsed by males due to her
        recent abuse, OR is just plainly a lesbian by nature. I dont think
        she
        was connecting the two. I normall dont comment, but I felt I had to
        butt in...I just dont want anyone to feel that they are being
        misinterpreted due to lack of careful reading and/or emotional
        involvement due to hitting close to a nerve. It's a story...lets
        just
        keep this stuff on the story, as I'm sure there is another Yahoo
        group
        somewhere where we can all discuss the nuances and intricacies of
        sexual abuse.
      • bj hunter
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 1, 2005
          I agree. If it is a part in the story, comments are fine, but as a
          general dicussion, not in this group please. No one has done anything
          wrong, we just don't want anyone to feel uneasy here. BJ moderator

          > It's a story...lets
          > just
          > keep this stuff on the story, as I'm sure there is another Yahoo
          > group
          > somewhere where we can all discuss the nuances and intricacies of
          > sexual abuse.
        • ja'von mccreary
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 2, 2005
            Hey I definitely agree with the fact that its a story.
            I was just wondering because it wasn't mentioned in
            the original trilogy. I didn't read the DMF story yet.
            I mostly wanted to know what happened with Janelle and
            Daemon so I skipped the first two stories.Hey Adrienne
            its ok I think we all agree that its a little tacky to
            discuss the sexuality of a character like that,but it
            was just an opinion.Oh yeah I finally read the Surreal
            story. I loved it. I hope that she finds love and
            happiness.

            http://mail.yahoo.com