Re: [ShadowRealms] Digest Number 1647

  • Michelle Lim
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 4, 2005
      Hi...

      I've been lurking for ages but thought I'd de-lurk for a quick
      question for everyone:

      Has anyone ever figured out how "vanishing" works? Cos initially i
      thought it probably worked like an invisible cupboard, but then i seem
      to remember a scene in Daughter where Daemon gives Janelle a bracelet
      or something for Winsol and she vanishes it so no one will find out,
      but later she can't seem to find it and can't remember what she'd done
      with it (or something along those lines... I haven't reread the books
      for a while now). So is this cos she'd just forgotten that she'd
      vanished it before and so doesn't know that she can retrive it? And
      even so, can't you sort of rummage through your "vanished stuff
      cupboard" to see what you might have forgotten about? or do things
      that are vanished and forgotten about go to where all those lost socks
      (and the like) go?

      Oh and while i'm at it, does how much power you have affect what you
      can vanish? like say, someone with Ebon Gray could vanish a whole room
      full of stuff but someone with Summer Sky could only do a chair? And
      how would you know when you've run out of "vanishing" space?

      Hmmm... actually that turned out to be a whole bunch of related
      questions, and took rather longer than i thought. Still, it's
      something that's been at the back of my mind since i first read BJT so
      thought I'd mention it. :)

      Michelle
    • Bernice .
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 6, 2005
        Michelle wote:
        <<Has anyone ever figured out how "vanishing" works? >>
        I think this was discussed in the list years back, so it's probably in the
        archives somewhere... I also believe that it's mentioned in the Invisible
        Ring. Just found the page reference :) on p78 at the bottom, it talks about
        vanishing being like putting things in an invisible cupboard, and the size
        of it depends on the strength of the person, and the amount of power they
        use to maintain it. In regards to your questionsa bout Jaenelle forgetting
        about her bracelet, I think you woudl have to know what you're calling in
        order to retrieve it...

        Hope that helps somewhat :D

        Bernice
      • Katie aka Rosa the Get
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 6, 2005
          Michelle wote:
          In regards to your questionsa bout Jaenelle forgetting

          about her bracelet, I think you woudl have to know
          what you're calling in
          order to retrieve it...
          -----
          But she knew what it was after the relevation about
          Daemon, and still couldn't call it back. She says
          something like 'And I still don't know where it's
          gone' (would quote, but my books are at the other
          house), which implies it's gone.

          I'm in favour of the idea that was posted earlier on
          last year that the bracelet, and the photos of
          Lucivar, Saetan and Daemon are all in the 'cold place'
          in the bottom of her wardrobe.

          Just my $0.02

          Morag
          =^..^=

          =====
          Will Danaher- "So the IRA's in this, too?"
          Dermot Fahy- ""If it were, Red Will Danaher, not a scorched stone of this fine house would be left standing."
          Michaleen Flynn- "A beautiful sentiment!"

          -Victor McLaglen, Ken Curtis, Barry Fitzgerald in 'The Quiet Man'

          http://au.movies.yahoo.com
        • ehack
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 7, 2005
            I'm in favour of the idea that was posted earlier on
            last year that the bracelet, and the photos of
            Lucivar, Saetan and Daemon are all in the 'cold place'
            in the bottom of her wardrobe.

            Just my $0.02

            Morag
            =^..^=

            Me too! They were her most precious belongings. I've always thought that is where they were.

            Eta
            A single, homeschooling, daycare, working more than full time, SAHM mom. It CAN be done.
            Check out my webpage (in progress) at http://www.geocities.com/ehack31/