most fantasy young adult?

  • bj hunter
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 2, 2004
      I recently joined Readerville.com, a place where readers discuss
      books (of course), and in my intro, I commented that I mostly read
      the fantasy genre. Well, they immediately directed me too the young
      adult thread. Why does that always happen? I am not a young adult, I
      am in my upper 30's! A few times I have looked up a book on Amazon
      and it was listed as readers 13+. I really don't like those kind of
      books. I like adult books. Is most fantasy directed at the young
      teen group? Or is it just that a lot of people think it
      automatically is for very young readers? BJ
    • Krysti
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 2, 2004
        Gah, I've had that problem too. However, I'm closer to the teen age, at 19. =P

        Krysti

        bj hunter <momof2nastyboys@...> wrote:

        I recently joined Readerville.com, a place where readers discuss
        books (of course), and in my intro, I commented that I mostly read
        the fantasy genre. Well, they immediately directed me too the young
        adult thread. Why does that always happen? I am not a young adult, I
        am in my upper 30's! A few times I have looked up a book on Amazon
        and it was listed as readers 13+. I really don't like those kind of
        books. I like adult books. Is most fantasy directed at the young
        teen group? Or is it just that a lot of people think it
        automatically is for very young readers? BJ

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • bj hunter
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 2, 2004
          > Gah, I've had that problem too. However, I'm closer to the teen
          age, at 19. =P

          > Krysti

          I find it to be insulting, or maybe I am just being sensitive. BJ
        • Kimberly Bishop
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 2, 2004
            It's ignorance. I cannot tell you the number of times I get snickers when I
            respond to the question, "Oh, what kind of novel are you working on?" Not
            to mention that many adults have lost their sense of adventure and believe
            that indulging in fantasy is immature and frivolous. I say they have lost
            their youth and if you want to lump me in with the youngsters, more power to
            me! I have the dreams and heart of a teenager and the wisdom and
            intelligence of my years!

            I say don't let 'em get you down, BJ. Revel in their ignorance ;)

            Kimberly Bishop

          • Krysti
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 2, 2004
              I find it an annoying concept, but I doubt very much that it is going to change. The best you can do is know that Kimberly is right. Enjoy the adventure they are missing out on, because they decide to turn away a 'young adult' story.

              I have one word of objection though - How many 10 -14 year olds will understand half the philosophy from Terry Goodkind's Sworth of Truth novels? Then again, it hardly bothers me. =)

              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 2, 2004
                I guess I never thought of it that way. A good way to look at it! BJ

                > I have the dreams and heart of a teenager and the wisdom and
                > intelligence of my years!
                >
                > I say don't let 'em get you down, BJ. Revel in their ignorance ;)
                >
                > Kimberly Bishop

                It is not true we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. S.I. Hayakawa
              • Angela Knotts
                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 2, 2004
                  Amen, Kimberly! Preach on Sister!
                  ;-)
                  I feel the same way... We do something that most adults have forgotten: We
                  exercise our imaginations. We are the people who will think of things no one
                  has thought before, see things in our minds no one has ever seen, and create
                  things that have never existed before.
                  I wouldn't give that up no matter what names I'm called.
                  ;-)

                  "...... I have the dreams and heart of a teenager and the wisdom and
                  intelligence of my years!

                  I say don't let 'em get you down, BJ. Revel in their ignorance ;)

                  Kimberly Bishop"

                • Rob Fanney
                  Message 8 of 18 , Dec 2, 2004
                    Here! Here!

                    Beautifully said! Couldn't agree more!

                    In my opinion, derision and being labelled as strange is just as good as affirmation. It is lack of response that I fear most. Any reaction is recognition. Take pride in it! I wish strangeness on you all! And on me too for that matter!

                    Best

                    Rob

                    Kimberly Bishop <kim@...> wrote:
                    It's ignorance. I cannot tell you the number of times I get snickers when I
                    respond to the question, "Oh, what kind of novel are you working on?" Not
                    to mention that many adults have lost their sense of adventure and believe
                    that indulging in fantasy is immature and frivolous. I say they have lost
                    their youth and if you want to lump me in with the youngsters, more power to
                    me! I have the dreams and heart of a teenager and the wisdom and
                    intelligence of my years!

                    I say don't let 'em get you down, BJ. Revel in their ignorance ;)

                    Kimberly Bishop

                    Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                    Rob Fanney
                    www.luthielssong.com

                  • Rob Fanney
                    Message 9 of 18 , Dec 2, 2004
                      Do you guys think it could be said that we are the catchers in the rye? The existences we invent are as real and wonderful as we are able to imagine, the experiences as tangible as our skill to breathe life into them makes them. If, for only a moment, we can create the experience of newness, have we not also returned to the wonderment of childhood?

                      I'm sorry, don't mean to go on and on about it. But you guys have sparked something.

                      THANK YOU!!

                      -R

                      Rob Fanney
                      www.luthielssong.com

                    • Angela West
                      Message 10 of 18 , Dec 2, 2004
                        I'm in my upper 30's also and I mostly read fantasy. As for the whole "young" thing, it's probably because when you say "fantasy" most people think unicorns and fairies and all those sweet things young girls like. Personally, dragons have always been my favorite...

                        Angela
                      • tarnished_unicorn69
                        Message 11 of 18 , Dec 2, 2004
                          yes fantasy is generally written for the younger crowd,but just think
                          of it this way "Mature" Adults are stuck reading reality books,how to
                          better your life books,and watch/read things classified as soap
                          operas and/or soppy soft romance books and are stuck "bettering"
                          their life on a daily basis to keep up with their "peers".nice to
                          hear that I'm not the only one in my thirties to feel this way about
                          reading fantasy,heck I still like playing games.

                          --- In ShadowRealms@yahoogroups.com, "bj hunter"
                          Message 12 of 18 , Dec 2, 2004
                            or robert jordan,but isn't that classified as Epic fantasy which is
                            ok for us Adults to read,personally I love reading a fantasy book
                            after my kids have read it or having my brats bring me a book I read
                            a long time ago and comparing viewpoints with them.theirs is usually
                            a much simpler viewpoint.btw none of my kids will even touch goodkind
                            or jordan yet,in their words "it's too deep"

                            --- In ShadowRealms@yahoogroups.com, Krysti <angelkrystie@y...> wrote:
                            I have one word of objection though - How many 10 -14 year olds will
                            understand half the philosophy from Terry Goodkind's Sworth of Truth
                            novels? Then again, it hardly bothers me. =)
                          • Kim Vaz
                            Message 13 of 18 , Dec 2, 2004

                              > I have one word of objection though - How many 10 -14 year olds will understand half the philosophy from Terry Goodkind's Sworth of Truth novels? Then again, it hardly bothers me. =)

                              I've been reading it since I was about 12, and every time I read it, I
                              understand it a bit more. However, I don't think I truly got it until
                              I was about 16.
                              But, really who is it who gets to decided that fantasy is reserved for
                              young adults? I guess we're all just better off, because we can
                              appreciate the fantasy genre.
                              --Kim
                              --
                              'Tis the time's plague when madmen lead the blind"
                            • Kim Vaz
                              Message 14 of 18 , Dec 2, 2004
                                > Do you guys think it could be said that we are the catchers in the rye?

                                I think you're on to something Rob!

                                ---Kim
                                Message 15 of 18 , Dec 2, 2004
                                  Let's all just read and not worry about what others think - Annoying it can be... But I like the worlds I get taken away to. ^.^

                                  Krysti

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Dec 3, 2004
                                    > Subject: most fantasy young adult?
                                    >

                                    > I recently joined Readerville.com, a place where readers discuss books
                                    > (of course), and in my intro, I commented that I mostly read the
                                    > fantasy genre. Well, they immediately directed me too the young adult
                                    > thread. Why does that always happen? I am not a young adult, I am in
                                    > my upper 30's! A few times I have looked up a book on Amazon and it
                                    > was listed as readers 13+. I really don't like those kind of books. I
                                    > like adult books. Is most fantasy directed at the young teen group? Or
                                    > is it just that a lot of people think it automatically is for very
                                    > young readers? BJ

                                    That's interesting, BJ. I actually *look* for fantasy for young adults sometimes,
                                    because it's often better written than some of the stuff for adults. The 13+ tag just
                                    shows me that it's aimed at the younger end of the spectrum, and I like some of those.
                                    I'm in my mid-40's, and have been reading stuff beyond my years since I learned to
                                    read, so I mostly just ignore labels and am often rewarded.
                                    Betsy
                                  • s650789@telopea.act.edu.au
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Dec 3, 2004
                                      hmmmmmmmmm........
                                      so, baseically, you lot of mature, responsible adults are taking a seriouse viewpoint on a genre that has about four storylines in its entirety, that is probably mainly written for young adults beacause the adults who write it are young at heart, while trying to cut out us peoples who genuinely are young adults by making us feel unworthy of the privelage of reading these books.
                                      i had a really crappy day, came home and read lots of email that said i'm not mature enough to read the genre that i am continually asked about just because some adults don't realize that they're not old. my grandfather is in his seventies and enjoys the types of things the teenages like. he is not a freak.
                                      the people that categorize us as certain readers of certain ages are freaks. they don't realize that age doesn't matter in anything!!!
                                      one of my better friends believed them and tried to distance herself from me because i still read dr seus (he rules, and anyone who says otherwise is just denying themselves the pleasure of reading his books).
                                      i really don't give a damn what other people think. i say i want dr seus books, people direct me to the children's area. i'm fifteen among five year olds and having the time of my life because they havn't conformed to the ideas of age reading. then i feel sad because in not so many years they won't be cought dead in the children's section. it won't be until they have children of their own and pick up a dr seus book for them that these children will realize just how much life they missed worrying about what people would think if they just enjoyed life.
                                      other friends of mine realize this and many a lesson in science have i sung nursery rhymes to the class with pakman (last name pak, it was a nickname just waiting to happen). if you ever come to canberra and find two girls making up funny walks and singing other random songs to go with the steps, that's me and midget (she is soooo short).
                                      we are people who are unashamed to be watching cartoons in movies or having water fights in the middle of the road. we scream out support to our friends in assemblies and scream to each other for no reason on the street. one day, we won't be able to project that far. we just don't give a damn that we don't behave like proper little ladies, we just give a damn that we're alive now and won't be some day.
                                      others of my friends are embarrassed to be seen with me in public if i behave like that. so i don't. i don't scream or dance or do anything likee that in public. i sit quietly and talk about the book i'm reading. i have fun, too, but i wonder where their childhood went and when mine would go.
                                      i know this is a roundabout way of saying it, but whether you like it or not, you are young adults. your childhood went into the pages of the books you read. you read them to escape reality and beleive in the things you beleived so easily when you were children. you read them to recapture that feeling of freedom from the bounds of reality and society. but you look deeper into the world than was ever intended. your children have a more simplistic view of the books you both read, but do you just complicate matters so you can justify to yourself the reasons for reading the books you read? your children feel no need for self deception. they know just as well as you do that the hero's going to win and that he will almost fail. why kid yourselves? you're just reading fairytales with more words. the reason that fantasy is written for young adults is because true adults don't understand the simplistic beauty of knowing that everything is going to work out fine. they call i
                                      t unrealistic and sneer. well stuff them, i don't give a damn.
                                      the fact that your even worried about this shows that your half way to becomeing a true adult yourself. you needn't lable yourselves "catchers in the rye" just to buy a book that you want to read!!! become that catcher in the rye by walking into a bookshop, buying a young adult's book and saying to yourself "i am a young adult. i know how to live and i know how to escape. i will catch those people who need to be caught and i will not be ashamed of my youth."
                                      stuff 'em all, enjoy your youth! my father is, and he's almost fifty.
                                      whoh!!!!! long email, but it relieved the fustration of a bad day. thanks for baring with me if you survived this long.

                                      p.s. upper thirties IS a young adult!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                      p.p.s. luke luck likes lakes, luke's duck likes lakes, luke luck licks lakes, luke's duck licks lakes, luke luck takes licks in lakes luke's duck likes, luke's duck takes lick in lakes luke luck likes.....
                                      can anyone tell me where that is from?

                                      --
                                      This email remains the property of Telopea Park School. This transmission and
                                      any accompanying attachments may contain confidential or legally privileged
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Dec 3, 2004
                                        Eh, I'm close to thirty (not quite there yet! Two more years) and I try to enjoy a variety of books if I can. Mostly I stick to fantasy and romance. I'm just fascinating in reading, to have an escape for the trails of reality. I like how books kickstart the imagination.

                                        Just ignore it for now sounds like the best bet. Just know that you enjoy it and that's all that's important.

                                        ShadowRealms@yahoogroups.com wrote:

                                        I recently joined Readerville.com, a place where readers discuss
                                        books (of course), and in my intro, I commented that I mostly read
                                        the fantasy genre. Well, they immediately directed me too the young
                                        adult thread. Why does that always happen? I am not a young adult, I
                                        am in my upper 30's! A few times I have looked up a book on Amazon
                                        and it was listed as readers 13+. I really don't like those kind of
                                        books. I like adult books. Is most fantasy directed at the young
                                        teen group? Or is it just that a lot of people think it
                                        automatically is for very young readers? BJ

                                        The Sinning is the best part of Repentence