New to the group

  • debbiehirsch
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 6, 2004
      Hello everyone...

      My name is Debby and I'm currently in the middle of the 3rd Black Jewels book. I love this story. A friend from work turned me on to Anne Bishop and the Black Jewels Trilogy, I can't thank her enough. I had no idea what I was missing. If you all could give me some suggestions on what to read in this genre, I'd really appreciate it. I have read some of Terry Brooks and was thinking about starting on the Sword of Shannara series next, has anyone else read them and is there more than 3 books involved?

      Debby

    • Angela Knotts
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 6, 2004
        Welcome Debbie!
        I know exactly how you feel about being so grateful for finding the BJT
        (Black Jewels Trilogy). I've re-read them easily a dozen times now and I
        still get lost in that world and see something new every time. Anne Bishop
        also wrote The World of the Fae series (Pillars of the World, Shadows and
        Lights, & The House of Gaian.) which is just as wonderful written as the BJT
        series and I know you'll enjoy them if you haven't read them already. Also
        just to let you know "Dream made Flesh" (The next of the BJT series) is
        coming out in January and all of our mouths our watering with anticipation.
        ;-)
        There's excerpts from the book on Anne's website, if you want a tease.

        " My name is Debby and I'm currently in the middle of the 3rd Black Jewels
        book. I love this story. A friend from work turned me on to Anne Bishop
        and the Black Jewels Trilogy, I can't thank her enough. I had no idea what
        I was missing. If you all could give me some suggestions on what to read in
        this genre, I'd really appreciate it. I have read some of Terry Brooks and
        was thinking about starting on the Sword of Shannara series next, has anyone
        else read them and is there more than 3 books involved?"

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1291vjvo7/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=gr
        oups/S=1705020227:HM/EXP=1097188879/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://comp
        anion.yahoo.com> click here

        :HM/A=2128215/rand=931344620>

        _____

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      • Rob Fanney
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 6, 2004
          Hey debbie!

          Anne Bishop is pheonomenal! What a way to get introduced to the genre.

          And I'd definitely second reading her other books as well.

          With regards to other stories, hmmm, where to start? There's just so many.

          Terry Brooks has a number of books in his Shannara series.
          Sword of Shannara
          Elfstones of Shannara
          Wishsong of Shannara

          Also there are four books in the Heritage of Shannara series
          Scions of Shannara
          The Druid of Shannara
          The Elf Queen of Shannara
          The Talismans of Shannara

          I would also highly recommend the following:

          The Wizard of Earthsea series by Ursula K. LeGuin
          The Neverending Story by Michael Ende (nothing like the movie)
          The Last Unicorn by Peter Beagle (pheonomenal, beautiful)
          The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings
          Harry Potter (if you haven't)
          Stephen King's Dark Tower Series
          The King of Elfland's Daughter by Lord Dunsany

          I think this is a pretty good list to start with. Hey! Anyone feel free to chime in OK.

          Best

          Rob

          debbiehirsch <debbiehirsch@...> wrote:
          Hello everyone...

          My name is Debby and I'm currently in the middle of the 3rd Black Jewels book. I love this story. A friend from work turned me on to Anne Bishop and the Black Jewels Trilogy, I can't thank her enough. I had no idea what I was missing. If you all could give me some suggestions on what to read in this genre, I'd really appreciate it. I have read some of Terry Brooks and was thinking about starting on the Sword of Shannara series next, has anyone else read them and is there more than 3 books involved?

          Debby

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          Rob Fanney
          Writer
          www.luthielssong.com
          mithorden@...

        • Angela West
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 6, 2004
            >If you all could give me some suggestions on what to read in this genre, I'd really
            appreciate it.

            Hi Debby and welcome. I believe Kandra has a recommended reading list posted on the group site.

            Angela
          • Kim Vaz
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 8, 2004
              > My name is Debby
              Welcome to the group Debby!

              >I have read some of Terry Brooks and was thinking about starting on
              the Sword of Shannara series next, has anyone else read them and is
              there more than 3 books involved?

              Yes, I've read them. There are several books in the seris, and he's
              been writing news ones during the past maybe 4 years. I have only read
              the first of the newer ones, however, here is a list of the old ones
              in order:
              Shannarah Triliogy:
              Sword of Shannara
              Elfstone of Shannara
              Wishsong of Shannara

              The Heritage of Shannara:
              The Scions of Shannara
              The Druid of Shannara
              The Elf Queen of Shannara
              The Tailsman of Shannara

              He then wrote the Fist King of Shannara as a prequile to the Sword of
              Shannara. I recommend you read this last, because it draws many
              connectyions to various places and characters which you could only
              appreciate when you've read the whole seris
              Then comes the Voyage of Jerle Shannara seris which starts of with the
              Isle Witch and continues with Antrax
              Hope this helps
              -Kim
              "So I'm credited with a book I didn't write, that's about sex although
              it isn't, and is being used by a rebellion that has yet to rebel."
              —Fewmaster Toede, Lord Toede