RE: [ShadowRealms] Re: OT The Wayfarer Redemption

  • Kimberly Bishop
    Message 1 of 25 , Jun 3, 2004
      Actually, I imagine creating a character you are not fond of happens often.
      I'm about 3/4 of the way done with my second novel and I'm struggling with
      one of my characters. I simply am not happy with how he's panned out. I
      have the leisure of being able to go back and make changes but if you're
      under any type of a deadline you may not have the time for that. Also, this
      same character that I'm not fond of is loved by two other people (including
      my editor). It just happens sometimes =)

      Kimberly

      Message 2 of 25 , Jun 3, 2004
        Ahhh well then i guess its not so weird then. i guess that happens. thats
        strange, you hate the character but your editor loves it.
        Renee

        In a message dated 6/3/2004 9:01:25 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
        kim@... writes:
        Actually, I imagine creating a character you are not fond of happens often.
        I'm about 3/4 of the way done with my second novel and I'm struggling with
        one of my characters. I simply am not happy with how he's panned out. I
        have the leisure of being able to go back and make changes but if you're
        under any type of a deadline you may not have the time for that. Also, this
        same character that I'm not fond of is loved by two other people (including
        my editor). It just happens sometimes =)

        Kimberly

      • bj hunter
        Message 3 of 25 , Jun 3, 2004
          Well, let's ask Anne. Anne, do you have a character you don't like?
          BJ

          Message 4 of 25 , Jun 3, 2004
            In a message dated 04-06-03 14:45:36 EDT, BJ wrote:

            << Well, let's ask Anne. Anne, do you have a character you don't like? >>

            Sure. Hekatah. Dorothea. Kartane. Adolfo. Every time I wrote a scene from one
            of their POVs I wanted to take a shower afterward. :)

            Anne
          • Angela West
            Message 5 of 25 , Jun 3, 2004
              i read on Sara Douglass website that she doesnt like Faraday. how
              can you
              > create a character you dont like, i'm curious to know.
              > Renee

              If she's like me (except she's been published and is a serious writer) she may not actually "create" the character. For me, the characters kinda come forth and let me know they are there and want me to listen to the story they have to tell. And, trust me, some of their stories I really would rather not hear, but I have to listen to all of the characters to complete the overall story.

              Angela
            • arimeph
              Message 6 of 25 , Jun 3, 2004
                I have to say that Shra ended up being my favorite character in the books. Just so you
                know, it isn't just a triology, there are six books all together. If you had a hard time with
                the first one or the first three, don't bother with the rest. As far as I know, they are only
                published in other countries, and I bought my copies off of ebay. They weren't
                horrible, but they were hard to get through.

                ~Sam

                --- In ShadowRealms@yahoogroups.com, "Lauren McCullough" <kynthias_muse@s...>
                wrote:
                > --- In ShadowRealms@yahoogroups.com, Rowan222@a... wrote:
                > > Thanks for the input!i'm sure at some point i'll finish the series,
                > just not
                > > any time soon. i'm a bit weird when it comes to books, if i start
                > one, i
                > > almost always have to finish it. very rarely do i give up..but i'm
                > just not feeling
                > > anything for these characters..except maybe GoldFeather and Azhure.
                > > Renee
                >

                > You're not weird, I usually have to finish books, too. Actually,
                > except for Interview with the Vampire, I don't think I've ever not
                > finished one. Though sometimes I will put certain books down and
                > finish them in a few months or so if something a lot more interesting
                > comes along. Oh, and Azhure did end up being my favorite followed
                > closely by Goldfeather. Axis is a moron and Faraday is a whiny
                > prissy girl.
                >
                > ~Lauren
              • Miaka Yukki
                Message 7 of 25 , Jun 3, 2004
                  ya i can only imagine how hard it was to write about Greer and Jaenelle....
                  i think i'd need a damn good cry and a long long bath after that. I know i
                  had a damn good cry just when reading it!

                  ><< Well, let's ask Anne. Anne, do you have a character you don't like? >>
                  >
                  >Sure. Hekatah. Dorothea. Kartane. Adolfo. Every time I wrote a scene from
                  >one
                  >of their POVs I wanted to take a shower afterward. :)
                  >
                  >Anne

                • Miaka Yukki
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jun 3, 2004
                    **********SPOLIERS*****************************

                    Grr, i totally have to disagree with all of this, although i havnt read the
                    Faraday gave up EVERYTHING and willingly went to a horrific death to save
                    the people she loved when she KNEW she would have nothing at all in return,
                    i would be a little bit whiney myself.
                    She let go of Axis with dignity and grace and even became friends with
                    Azhure.
                    I dont agree with the statement that if you had a hard time with the first
                    three dont read the last three, because other then the ending which i found
                    a little bit to fairy taleish they were much better then the first three.
                    The chars in the third set were much more likeable, well thought out and
                    developed wonderfully over the three books.
                    Axis also got a much needed slap in the face and him and Azhure grew more as
                    chars in the third set then they ever did in the first.
                    I loved the last three in the series, but after reading them i didnt much
                    like the first three and i totally HATED Azhure whom i had really liked in
                    the first three. What the hell kind of mother is happy when her own child is
                    being murdered????
                    I thought that both Axis and Azhure failed miserably as gods AND human
                    beings.
                    Anyways that is my rant lol

                    >I have to say that Shra ended up being my favorite character in the books.
                    >Just so you
                    >know, it isn't just a triology, there are six books all together. If you
                    >had a hard time with
                    >the first one or the first three, don't bother with the rest. As far as I
                    >know, they are only
                    >published in other countries, and I bought my copies off of ebay. They
                    >weren't
                    >horrible, but they were hard to get through.
                    >
                    >~Sam
                    >

                    >--- In ShadowRealms@yahoogroups.com, "Lauren McCullough"
                    ><kynthias_muse@s...>
                    >wrote:
                    > > --- In ShadowRealms@yahoogroups.com, Rowan222@a... wrote:
                    > > > Thanks for the input!i'm sure at some point i'll finish the series,
                    > > just not
                    > > > any time soon. i'm a bit weird when it comes to books, if i start
                    > > one, i
                    > > > almost always have to finish it. very rarely do i give up..but i'm
                    > > just not feeling
                    > > > anything for these characters..except maybe GoldFeather and Azhure.
                    > > > Renee
                    > >

                    > > You're not weird, I usually have to finish books, too. Actually,
                    > > except for Interview with the Vampire, I don't think I've ever not
                    > > finished one. Though sometimes I will put certain books down and
                    > > finish them in a few months or so if something a lot more interesting
                    > > comes along. Oh, and Azhure did end up being my favorite followed
                    > > closely by Goldfeather. Axis is a moron and Faraday is a whiny
                    > > prissy girl.
                    > >
                    > > ~Lauren

                    MSN Premium includes powerful parental controls and get 2 months FREE*
                  • tarnished_unicorn69
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jun 4, 2004
                      actually it would be probably be quite easy to have characters you
                      don't like in your writings ,that way you have good/bad *guys* in
                      your stories and you can think up innovative ways to get rid of your
                      bad guys or characters that just didn't pan out the way you wanted
                      them too,or at least this is my feelings on the subject and if you
                      liked all your characters who would be the acceptable/expendable
                      losses?

                    • Rowan222@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jun 4, 2004
                        Yea i was gonna ask that..
                        Renee

                        Message 11 of 25 , Jun 4, 2004
                          i knew at least two of those you were gonna mention. is it wrong though, that
                          at first, i felt a bit bad for Kartane? i mean, at first, but later no.
                          Renee

                          Message 12 of 25 , Jun 4, 2004
                            Good point. i used to make up stories as a kid to amuse myself on long car
                            rides or whatever, and ever so often, there was someone i really didnt like
                            who'd pop up! of course, the stories never amounted to much. so that does make
                            sense now that i think about it.
                            Renee

                            Message 13 of 25 , Jun 4, 2004
                              Yea i read on her website that there are six..and personally i cant see
                              kmyself reading the rest..although i almost feel like i should, after reading the
                              first.
                              Renee

                              Message 14 of 25 , Jun 4, 2004
                                Oh i know! Greer was just...well i'm sure you know..goodness reading that..i
                                wanted to set fire to him..
                                Renee

                                In a message dated 6/4/2004 12:30:33 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
                                tasuki_chan@... writes:
                                ya i can only imagine how hard it was to write about Greer and Jaenelle....
                                i think i'd need a damn good cry and a long long bath after that. I know i
                                had a damn good cry just when reading it!

                              • Raonaid Siofra
                                Message 15 of 25 , Jun 4, 2004
                                  I write, yet I don't write {Shush! RJ! Not a peep from you on this}. Mainly, the characters I create are for role playing purposes (save for the little background checks that are wrote about them or scenes), but there are times when I create a character I don't like. Or the character starts to stale on me.

                                  There's been two instances that a character makes me feel chilled inside..

                                  Rao

                                  i read on Sara Douglass website that she doesnt like Faraday. how
                                  can you
                                  > create a character you dont like, i'm curious to know.
                                  > Renee

                                  As you travel down the road, you'd rather believe that dreams do come true, than to find out they can lie to you.

                                • Lauren McCullough
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jun 4, 2004
                                    --- In ShadowRealms@yahoogroups.com, "arimeph" <arimeph@y...> wrote:
                                    > I have to say that Shra ended up being my favorite character in the
                                    books. Just so you
                                    > know, it isn't just a triology, there are six books all together.
                                    If you had a hard time with
                                    > the first one or the first three, don't bother with the rest. As
                                    far as I know, they are only
                                    > published in other countries, and I bought my copies off of ebay.
                                    They weren't
                                    > horrible, but they were hard to get through.
                                    >
                                    > ~Sam

                                    So there really are 6 books? I only have the first three because I
                                    had no clue what the others were! I actually tried looking for them
                                    and couldn't find any trace of a fourth book, so I gave up the
                                    search. It's a shame you had to go through ebay when they weren't
                                    even that good...

                                    ~Lauren
                                  • Rowan222@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jun 5, 2004
                                      i checked her website, there will actually be american editions of the other
                                      three at some point.
                                      Renee

                                      In a message dated 6/4/2004 5:58:33 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                                      kynthias_muse@... writes:
                                      So there really are 6 books? I only have the first three because I
                                      had no clue what the others were! I actually tried looking for them
                                      and couldn't find any trace of a fourth book, so I gave up the
                                      search. It's a shame you had to go through ebay when they weren't
                                      even that good...

                                      ~Lauren

                                    • PoeticDragon
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jun 11, 2004
                                        Miaka Yukki, your computer's date is wrong XD

                                        It took me forever to figure out why it kept telling me I had new mail in
                                        my Shadow Realms folder, but nothing was showing up (cause your message
                                        was 6 days back). Hehehe.

                                        --
                                        PoeticDragon
                                        Moving at the speed of apathy.
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Jun 11, 2004
                                          Its not tho :( its my hotmail or something. cause its june 11 and thats the
                                          date on my computer ;p
                                          My Shadowrealms and hotmail have issues for some reason, i dont get some of
                                          your e-mails and other times it takes weeks to get it, but not my michelle
                                          west one, i dunno i hate computers and have no initiative to fix whats
                                          wrong.

                                          Message 20 of 25 , Jun 12, 2004
                                            --- In ShadowRealms@yahoogroups.com, "Miaka Yukki" <tasuki_chan@h...>
                                            wrote:
                                            > **********SPOLIERS*****************************

                                            I do have to agree with *some* of it. Yes, she did go willingly
                                            into death and she did it for the people she loved. That is very
                                            brave and noble, but I don't like her! Sacrificing yourself for the
                                            common good is always a charming touch, but there's no reason for me
                                            to cry at her death or smile during her scenes. If I don't like the
                                            character's over all personality, then why should I care what happens
                                            to them?

                                            > Faraday gave up EVERYTHING and willingly went to a horrific death
                                            to save
                                            > the people she loved when she KNEW she would have nothing at all in
                                            return,
                                            > i would be a little bit whiney myself.

                                            I think DragonStar can speak for himself on that one.

                                            > What the hell kind of mother is happy when her own child is
                                            > being murdered????

                                            I'll try to find the other three, but since my search so far has
                                            led me nowhere I'm not really expecting anything. It would be
                                            interesting to see all the loose ends tied up and, personally, I love
                                            watching characters get knocked off their soapboxes. I think Axis
                                            needs that big time...

                                            ~Lauren