Re: [ShadowRealms] RE: OT: Mists of Avalon & Harry Potter

  • Rowan222@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , May 30, 2004
      In a message dated 5/29/2004 11:56:46 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      nmverhaaf@... writes:
      Hi All -
      I'm a mega lurker but wanted to pipe up for a change ;-)
      I'm Nicole, 20, am Dutch but have been living in New Zealand for the past
      few years.
      Stumbled onto Anne Bishop's books a few years ago and instantly loved them.
      I also read MZB, Traci Harding, jean Auel & Anne Rice with a vengeance.

      Anywayz - on to my Questions & Comments.
      I've put them all together as it's apain responding to individual emails
      when you get digests :)

      1)
      What is the Kevin Harper thingie that's not in the Mists of Avalon movie?
      It's been a while since reading or watching and am really going "huh?!" at
      the moment :)

      2)
      I've read MZB's Avalon books, but can anyone tell me how they fit in with
      the Atlantis ones?
      Which comes first and all? Want to read (aga), but want to make sure I do it
      in the right order :)

      Well i can try to answer the first two. The Kevin Harper thing, it was
      basically a section with a lot of turning points i think. the movie left it out, and
      yet still claimed the tv movie was based on the book. they left so much out
      it shouldnt have even said that!

      The Atlantis books i think were written before Mists of Avalon, but like
      alot of her books, you dont really need to read it in order(except maybe her
      Light series)
      Renee

    • Lauren McCullough
      Message 2 of 5 , May 30, 2004
        Hi and welcome, Nicole! I'll try to answer at least some of your
        questions... Hopefully there's no spoilers, but I don't really know
        how to explain some of these otherwise.

        > I also read MZB, Traci Harding, jean Auel & Anne Rice with a
        > vengeance.

        Oh... don't know if I can forgive you for that one. Anne Rice and
        I don't get along well.

        > 1)
        > What is the Kevin Harper thingie that's not in the Mists of Avalon
        > movie? It's been a while since reading or watching and am really
        > going "huh?!" at the moment :)

        Kevin Harper took over as The Merlin after the old one died. He
        was also desperately in love with (and betrayed by) Nimue. He was
        also an occasional lover of Morgaine's. Apparently there was nothing
        about him in the movie. Couldn't tell you 'cause I haven't seen it.

        > 2)
        > I've read MZB's Avalon books, but can anyone tell me how they fit
        > in with the Atlantis ones? Which comes first and all? Want to read
        > (aga), but want to make sure I do it in the right order :)

        The Atlantis ones come first. Not quite sure which one, but after
        those are The Forest House, then Lady of Avalon, then (I think) Mists
        of Avalon. Or maybe it's Priestess of Avalon next? Nevermind!
        Sorry! :)

        > 3)
        > Harry Potter book 5 - liked the book, but felt it took waaaayyy too
        > long to actually get to Hogwarts.
        > The background into Sirius was great though, and I loved the whole
        > family tree and learning about how all these names we've heard are
        > people who are interconnected.
        > I think his angst was reasonable and well-described, yet as with
        > most of the book, it was imo a bit too much and could have been
        > different.

        A lot of people have said the same. Personally, I'm not a guy and
        I'm not really that close to many (normal) guys so I wouldn't know.
        Sirius's background was definiately one of the most interesting parts
        of the book.

        > 4)
        > Harry Potter movie # 3 - Can't wait.
        > The third book was definitely my favourite and I really hope I like
        > the movie as much as I liked the book. Can't wait !!!!!

        The 3rd was my favorite book, too. It'll be nice to see what a
        different director will do with the story. Hopefully they'll make
        the movie as good as the others.

        Hope I was a tiny bit helpful...ish...

        ~Lauren
      • bj hunter
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 2, 2004
          --- In ShadowRealms@yahoogroups.com, "Nicole / Nadia"
          <nmverhaaf@h...> wrote:
          I've just started the first book on the Mayfair witches
          > (The Witching Hour,I think?? I'm lousy with titles!!!) and the
          story
          > is amazing so far and sounds really interesting, just getting past
          > all the "extra" bits in the story makes it a *big* read.

          It is a huge read! Mine was falling apart when I finished it, and it
          took me 4 months! What is it, like 1300 pages? Very engrossing,
          going through 13 generations of witches! That book is nothing short
          of a masterpiece imho! BJ
        • Rowan222@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 2, 2004
            That book always takes me so long to read. the 2 other books arent nearly as
            long(guess thats a good thing)
            Renee

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 2, 2004
              > I like her stories, but actually reading her books is something
              else

              > Being a buffy fan from the beginning of that series helps in makin
              me
              > like her vampire tales too, although when I first started reading
              > them I couldn't stand them as they were "wrong" compared to Buffy :)

              I was absolutely obsessed with Buffy, too! Well, for the first
              four seasons. Spike... ::sigh:: Need I say more? It's not that I
              don't like Anne's stories (I think her plots are fabulous), I just
              despise her style. And I didn't really like how she would sometimes
              describe the vampires in her books. I thought Laurell K. Hamilton
              did an amazing job with...humanizing, I guess (for lack of a better
              word) her vampires. Jean-Claude... ::drools::

              > And here I thought I knew my MZBs. Hehe, not!!!
              > You're helping me clarify the issue here, but it still doesn't ring
              > bell and I was really hoping it would!!!! Forgetful me!!!

              Somehow I don't feel like I'm explaining very well! I've only read
              MZB's Mists of Avalon and The Firebrand, but I'm actually halfway
              through The Forest House right now. It's actually really good.

              > Hehe, that's exactly what had me so confused. Atlantis before
              Avalon
              > I get, but the *order* in whih they come really baffles me!!!
              > Like, they were published in one order yet the timeline is
              different
              > and all, so that tends to confuse poor simple me :)

              I only know that FH comes first, then LoA is next. If you want to
              start on those two, at least we're sure what order those go in! :) I
              hate it when prequels are made. They get me so pissed off when I end
              up reading about these certain characters who were evil in the
              original book, but end up as the hero of the prequel. I LOVE hating
              certain people, so turning them into your nice, average person
              bothers me. At least I haven't run into that problem in FH.
              Yet...well, kinda...ish. Nevermind!

              ~Lauren