Re: [ShadowRealms] Re: OT: Oprah's picks

    Message 1 of 11 , May 8, 2004
      BJ wrote:

      > Who is she trying to impress? I think her audience would like
      > something a little more exciting or fun, not so gloomy! BJ

      She has said her original intent was to get more people to
      read. You have to admit that she has...since all the books
      she chooses become instant bestsellers. So, *someone(s)*
      must like her picks <g>. Not me, though...and evidently
      not you either..lol! ;)

      K.
    • Miaka Yukki
      Message 2 of 11 , May 9, 2004
        YAY! i'm back lol my computer had a nasty virus and i couldnt open internet
        explorer ;p

        I totally have to agree, all the books she chooses are depressing and
        generally about sad awful things in the world. I read to get away from all
        that. Infact i read fantasy so i dont have to think about this world at all.
        So i wont touch her books with a ten foot pole.
        Oprah seems the way to go if you want to wallow in the misery of the world
        for a few days lol

        HOWEVER, i think that a celebrity promoting books that they enjoy is
        wonderful, because how many people can go onto a best seller list and find
        something they like, a lot of it is crap.
        If a lot of celebritys all plugged the books they enjoyed though then it
        would be great exposure for all the genres, cause they cant all like the
        same things ;p

        >Who is she trying to impress? I think her audience would like
        >something a little more exciting or fun, not so gloomy! BJ
        >
        > > One time when I was watching her show, she (Oprah) said she
        > > never picked popular fiction but rather books that she felt
        > > had social meaning and/or experiences.

        MSN Premium includes powerful parental controls and get 2 months FREE*