17708Re: [ShadowRealms] Why we read fantasy...

    Jul 2, 2011
      That was a very eloquent piece and I heartily agree with every word. Alas, fantasy readers know all too well the reactions of some people when you say you read fantasy. Personally, I get sick of explaining it's not porn I'm talking about! : )

      --- On Sun, 3/7/11, Adrienne Roehrich <aroehrich@...> wrote:

      From: Adrienne Roehrich <aroehrich@...>
      Subject: [ShadowRealms] Why we read fantasy...
      To: ShadowRealms@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sunday, 3 July, 2011, 6:30

      My other favorite author after Anne is Jacqueline Carey. She recently wrote

      a piece on why we read fantasy as a rebuttal to some reviews that came out

      pre-Game of Thrones HBO show: Before the Game of Thrones HBO series came

      out, there were several bad reviews of it based pretty much on the fact that

      it was fantasy. (A particularly nasty and dismissive one comes to mind.)

      Jacqueline Carey wrote a lovely piece on her website for her July update

      about why we read fantasy and who the fantasy lovers are. I thought it was

      especially appropriate for the GeekGirls who read fantasy.

      Anyway, I wanted to share it with this group because even if you aren't a

      Jacqueline Carey fan, you are a fantasy fan.

      Adrienne M. Roehrich, Ph.D.

      Research Associate

      Drobny Lab

      Department of Chemistry