Dumbing Down the Political System
mollymeek ( mollymeek) wrote,
@ 2007-11 -11 00:14:00
Myopic people have been demanding that the government dumb down the political system. Or so Vivian Balakrishnan says.
'Many people are asking us to dumb down our political system. Lower the hurdles, lower the standards, lower the penalties, lower the deposits, so that we can have apparently more contest,' he said in response to a question about whether Singapore will have a more open political system in the future.Perhaps too much democracy may cause the political system to deteriorate. Oh sorry, I probably misunderstood. Dr. B never answered any question about making the political system more democratic or ensuring that the elections are not designed to favor certain people. He said right from the start that people were asking him to "dumb down" - lower the quality of - the political system.
'I would rather have high political hurdles, so that anybody who seriously enters the contest is a good, strong, honest person, willing to pay the price and able to withstand the scrutiny of the public.'
Obviously, some people are stupid enough to ask him to cause Singapore to deteriorate. These people are out of their minds. There must be hurdles to people who want political contest. The current hurdles (whatever they are) has ensured that people in politics are "good, strong, honest" and "willing to pay the price."
Erm, willing to pay the price? Oh, Minister, do you mean the money you need to pay as a deposit before contesting in the General Elections? Or do you mean to pay the price via debilitating defamation suits if one happens to step on the wrong political toe? Or both?
So what kind of great leadership do we get because of the current hurdles, the high standards and whatnot? Let me see... Leadership that turns Singapore into a place where:
- the most world-class quality of your politicians may be their ability to twist words, equivocate, and given deep non-answers, just like the best politicians everywhere else; each time you ask a question, you are treated to extraordinary, world-class rhetoric.
- ERP charges keep rising despite the fact that any bimbo can see that they can't solve the problem of jams
- Solutions to everyday problems (like jammed buses and trains) means you have to pay more and more,
- while the expected improvements are deferred ad infinitum
- Prices keep rising, but you are told that it's globalization or some other problems like droughts
- GST hikes are for collecting revenue to help the poor
- So are means testing and compulsory annuities (which, by any other name, will smell just as foul)
- You vote for the party that can produce economic growth for the country,
- but not for most individuals
- the not-state-controlled but not-free nation-building press feeds you with crap controversies carefully calibrated to go in tandem with the degree of liberalization the state allows
- ministers draw phenomenal salaries to remain ministers ("retain talent"),
- but you should be loyal to your employer, be ready to be retrenched, be ready to take-any-job-and-not-be-fussy
- you have to serve NS if you are born with a penis, but you had better pay for your own insurance;
- there is no such thing as institutionalized disadvantage or discrimination when you lose job opportunities because of NS
- and you even can be jailed for using your penis the wrong way
- you shouldn't whine and complain so much; if you are not happy, you can migrate
- but being a quitter is wrong
- and if you continue whining, you will be threatened with apocalyptic visions of Singapore collapsing and Singaporean women becoming maids
- you ask for freedom, but you are told that you have to sacrifice it for your prosperity,
- but you don't find yourself prospering - though that's really because you are incompetence in the meritocracy
- you should feel guilty for all the difficulties you face in life and you wish you have never existed
Of course Dr. B is right! If we lower the standards any further, imagine what kind of leaders we can get? Heck, you may have a stupid voluptuous bimbo becoming the Prime Minister of Singapore and Singaporean women, instead of becoming maids, will just be sent to take part in beauty pageants. And men, instead of being conscripted so that they can fulfill the noble task of learning how to kill while being abused with vulgarities, will be made to parade in swimming trunks for Manhunt International. Surely you don't want Singapore to degenerate to that state? So, listen to Dr. B. Have high standards for your leaders.
RH: MY ACQUAINTANCE, MR DAVID DUCLOS, A FORMER POLICE INSPECTOR, AND HIS LAWYER FRIEND, EYEWITNESSED LEE KUAN YEW RIGGING THE 1997 CHENG SAN GRC ELECTION. READ MORE AT MY BLOG ENTITLED "I CAME, I SAW, I SOLVED IT" :
[ALSO AT THE ABOVE BLOG, LIE KUAN YEW's LIES, WRONGFUL JAILING, TORTURE AND BEATING TO DEATH OF INNOCENT POLITICAL PRISONERS LIKE MR CHAN HOCK HUA]
READ ALSO MARTYN SEE's INTERVIEW WITH ME AT:
MY ARCHIVE OF WORKS AT: