To our brothers and Sisters in Australia

  • Glenn Kirkindall
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 13, 2008
      This is an important petition that encourage our brothers and sisters
      who live in Australia to support

      Dear Friends

      Radical Women is launching a petition campaign leading up to the
      parliamentary debate on the decriminalization of abortion, some time
      after March 2008. As you remember, in August 2007, ALP MP Candy Broad
      prepared a private member's bill to decriminalize the procedure.
      There was also a less publicized bill to counteract Broad's. This
      other bill proposed to remove abortion from the Crimes Act but make
      it a crime under the Health Act, while incorporating the 1969
      Menhennit ruling which allows an abortion if a doctor deems the
      woman's mental or physical health to be at risk. Eighty percent of
      Australians say that women must have the right to choose abortion.

      Both bills were withdrawn. In October, Premier Brumby handed the
      issue to the Victorian Law Reform Commission to investigate and draft
      recommendations. Its recommendations are due to be presented to the
      Attorney-General on March 28, and parliamentary debate will then
      begin.

      The attached petition calls for abortion on demand, free to all women
      at all stages of pregnancy.

      Here are ways to support the petition:
      Distribute the petition among your network and send signatures in to
      RW by March 24: PO Box 266, West Brunswick 3055 or Fax: 03-9388-0062
      Co-sponsor the petition: This means working with RW to distribute and
      collect signatures and to publicize and build the campaign through
      our respective networks, the media, forums, rallies or other
      activities
      Help RW put on an International Women's Day public forum, 11 March:
      Decriminalize abortion in Victoria: Women demand the right to decide!
      If you want to co-sponsor the event, lend your organizing skills,
      help get the word out or come along with friends, every contribution
      would be invaluable.
      Contact RW with your ideas: radicalwomen@... or phone 03-
      9388-0062

      In solidarity