Protest againt Defazio for supporting the anti-immigrant bill

  • Glenn Kirkindall
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 12, 2006
      Dear friends,
      Please support this important immigrant rights action below by
      sending a protest to Defazio at
      http://defazio.house.gov/emailme.shtml.

      Glenn Kirkindall
      Make graduation a celebration! Fight for Immigrant Rights!

      Dear Pro-Immigrant students and community members
      (distribute this widely),
      As you may have heard, Representative Peter DeFazio will be
      speaking at this springs PSU graduation. He recently voted for the
      anti-immigrant Sensenbrenner Bill which threatens to criminalize all
      undocumented immigrants and their supporters, amongst a slew of
      other regressive actions.

      We, as the Student Immigrant Solidarity Coalition have been
      organizing to make graduation inclusive to ALL graduates and not
      allow a politician who is anti-immigrant to ruin the celebratory
      environment at our graduation.

      Peter DeFazio and the school administration have failed to take
      leadership and stand up for immigrants families, many of whom will be
      coming to celebrate at graduation.

      We are asking all graduates who are participating in the
      commencement celebration to wear a white hat topper on the top of
      your graduation caps to show that you support and celebrate ALL
      graduates for their accomplishment. That way you'll be able to voice
      your support for your fellow graduates during the ceremony, with out
      disrupting it. You can pick them up at 217 C in Cramer Hall, or
      contact us directly. Families coming to the ceremony will be given
      white ribbons to express their solidarity as well.

      If you are not attending the ceremony, please join us June 17th
      outside the ceremony at the Rose Garden at 9:00 AM where we will
      highlight the contributions to higher education that immigrants make
      and demand that Peter DeFazio renounce his vote on HR 4437 and take
      leadership in fighting for the rights of ALL workers and families.
      It is important that we send the message that no one who stands
      against immigrants will be able to come to PSU without a response.

      Whether you a graduate, a student or a community member, we all must
      fight to show Peter DeFazio that we are tired of his hollow rhetoric
      and demand that no human is illegal, no student is illegal and no
      family is illegal.
      Si se puede!

      Student Immigrant Solidarity Coalition
      SISC.pdx@...