A Personal Disclosure and Thanks to all of you... from ME

  • joehardcorefsu@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 30, 2008
      I came to the SCA in hopes of finding something that had been lost years ago. I’d spent half my life involved in hardcore/punk/metal concerts and the underworld gangs associated within the underground scene. It was ironic that I left the Frankford hood life to go to shows to escape the corner gang lifestyle only to find myself in a world of street brawls, international gang wars and now facing possible jail time. I was apprehensive to reach out towards something new and different being that I’d established myself with hardcore but it seems that every day there is less and less for me to do in terms of “new ground”.

      So…. I reached out to the SCA to hide some of the notoriety, infamy and to go from being someone who is known to an unknown again. The fresh feeling of not knowing people, needing to be explained things and understanding the social history within has fueled my love of the SCA to what it is today. I’ve gone from one ½ life to another. The similarities are uncanny and yet it’s the differences that have really placed the SCA in a higher priority to me then I’d ever thought it would become. It was my new friends, my new surrogate SCA family, and my brothers in arms that pushed me with positive reinforcement. It was my wonderful Household who’s Patriarch has grown to be one of the best friends and in many ways a true role model to me. I put my first foot in the water with the SCA in a time when I’d known for a year that I wanted to step further away from the gang life into something more. The continuing drama and lack of real brotherhood and ethics drove me from something that had taken so much of my time and effort away. I felt like I was squandering what time I’d had left on people that didn’t matter in the end. I’d lost the will to be all or nothing for the crew. It was then that I embraced the SCA and the reciprocated embrace back really knocked me on my ass. I’ve never met so many positive adult role models in my life. From true knights of the Society whose personal lives that showcased how little of a real adult life I was living, their example really opened my eyes to more mistakes I’ve made. I never had this many people who were good people looking out for me as a family member.
       I’ve now spent almost 2 years in the SCA and have recently made my decision to not only leave the gang lifestyle but also in my own way throw a large enough wrench in the works of the growth in which I was personally responsible for. The coup de grace came for me the days before Pennsic 37 when I was asked to be a part of the History Channel’s show- GangLand that would feature my crew. I was not into it but knowing the national agenda of the crew, I had no choice as my voice would hopefully counter balance so much of the crap that would spew forth from other people who were being interviewed as well. So tomorrow night at 9pm the culmination of my interview will be aired at 9pm. I am sure they will twist and turn and cast everything in a damaging light. I am aware of its impact on my court case that is still open but I needed to have my say. It was a catharsis of the mind and spirit. It was the day after we came home and I was fresh off one battlefield and laying down my sword in another. I am writing all of this to thank each one of you who stand as a mentor, brother, friend and companion. I have a lot to change in my life and a lot of growing still to do but it was your positive influence and your support and great example that opened my eyes, shed light and in effect exorcised some of these demons that have buried deep within me. I am proud, as the day is long to serve and protect the great name of our House and to keep loyal to all of you who’ve been a true family to me over this short time.
      My first practice I met Horace whose friendship single handedly pushes me to be a better person. He is a true brother and he amazes me every day. My first event was House Serpentius’s Winter Brawl. I was awestruck and intimidated to say the least but it was the good nature and sharp humor of His Majesty who broke the ice for me and kept my attention throughout the tournament. It was the prodding and constant support of Berach that got me to keep at working hard at practice. I remember every time Simon Redbeard (aka Chris) and I would swap that sweaty Hershey kiss of doom I’d couldn’t rationalize why I wanted to keep at it, but I am glad Bear was there to help me along. I authorized at Spring War Camp in a bout with Sir Mord in front of His Majesty and I was very happy to fight that day with Serpentius for the first time. At that Spring Crown I met more of you and was invited to the Warband. Going to dinner that night was awesome and I was amazed at how close everyone seemed to be. Since that point I’d been invited over Bear and Katrina’s house many a time and it was always a blast and really warmed me up for Pennsic. Since that first Pennsic I’ve just wanted to be a better fighter and a better person so I could better carry the Cobra Emblem on my tabard. Thanks to each of you listed and not listed here, I could go on for 10 pages about the awesome stuff each of you have done, lets just say that you don’t really know how much it meant to me and what it did to help me transfer my energies and time into. The smallest things made the biggest impressions and my life is truly changed because of the impact.

      All in All….
      Thanks and hit me up directly if you have any questions, I’d hate to jam the list up any further…

      Serpentius Joe aka Joe Hardcore…
      Or just Joe…

    • just_call_me_tally
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 31, 2008
        What a powerful, and powerfully moving testimonial to the ability of
        one person to change his life for the better.

        Joe, I am sure there were many negative elements in your life before,
        but I am equally sure there were moments of pride, and of honor. I
        admire you for making a choice to pursue the pride and honor and leave
        behind the things that were holding you back. It is a choice that
        takes great courage on your part, and I salute you for it.

        Tally

        --- In cobra_warband@yahoogroups.com, joehardcorefsu@... wrote:

> [...]
        > and Katrina’s house many a time and it was always a blast and
        really warmed me
        > up for Pennsic. Since that first Pennsic I’ve just wanted to be a
        better
        > fighter and a better person so I could better carry the Cobra Emblem
        on my
        > tabard. Thanks to each of you listed and not listed here, I could go
        on for 10
        > pages about the awesome stuff each of you have done, lets just say
        that you
        > don’t really know how much it meant to me and what it did to help
        me transfer
        > my energies and time into. The smallest things made the biggest
        impressions and
        > my life is truly changed because of the impact.
        >

        > All in All….
        >

        > Thanks and hit me up directly if you have any questions, I’d

      • Kitt
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 31, 2008
          I do have to say that i agree with you completly and feel that the SCA
          is defently one of the best things that has happened to you in a long
          time (Besides my awesome freindship of 15 years!)
        • Eric Abrantes
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 3, 2008
            Joe,

            If you ever need a place to crash of the shirt off my back just ask. We're brothers, no matter  what happened in the past.

            -Euric