Re: [Serpentius_Militia] Pennsic Head's Up...appearance enforcement

  • Josh Carney
    Message 1 of 52 , Apr 28, 2010
      Boss

      Than maybe that is the argument boss?  Maybe it is the fact that it isn't the same for the cooks, if they are in the kitchen doing there SCA thing and don't need to be in garb why should we when fighting?  I think any double standard should be an issue.

      To me, it should be a peer standard first.  I know I maybe over stepping but testing a rule/requirement on the peers first should be a good rule of thumb.  What do you think?

      What do you think about make making specifics for the rule instead of a general rule?

      -H

      On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 9:34 AM, john haren <dimilo247@...> wrote:

      Hmmm...I dont have an Issue with peers being held to a higher standard.
      I do know that I have seen cooks(some of these peers) paraded out in front of the royals in modern tee shirts and aprons and this is acceptable so I dont know

      "the answer to your first question is SHADDUP!!!!!!!"DEADPOOL issue#23    Darius

      Sent: Wed, April 28, 2010 9:28:48 AM

      Subject: Re: [Serpentius_Militia] Pennsic Head's Up...appearance enforcement

      Hey Boss,

      On this topic:  Do you think it is fair if they pressed this rule on the Chiv only?

      -H

      On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 9:27 AM, john haren <dimilo247@yahoo. com> wrote:

      Yeah Horace is right from 10 feet out they cant tell if the scales are leather,painted steel or anodized steel. Should be okay.

      "the answer to your first question is SHADDUP!!!!! !!"DEADPOOL issue#23    Darius

      From: Mark Schuldenfrei <mark@schuldy. org>Sent: Wed, April 28, 2010 7:32:24 AM

      Please remember: I'm a nerd....

      john haren wrote:
      > Where will it end?

      I think that is a different question. And what you have phrased
      is a kind of debate known as the Slippery Slope Fallacy. "Can't
      ever do anything, because it will surely get worse and worse until
      disaster".

      Earls Marshal know that they can't make rules that drive away
      too many participants. We can trust they won't.

      I'm erasing your "guilt by Midrealm association" stuff. That's all
      true, but not relevant. These are different people (Conga Line),
      this is not Midrealm Crown (irrelevant) , this has nothing to do
      with blow shrugging (excessive force). Those are all Midrealm
      things, but not relevant.

      > My point is if I wanted to live in the Midrealm I would move there.

      But that's part of the point. These are Padraig's Rules, from
      the East. Omarad DIDN'T say "make everything like the Midrealm".
      He said "make local rules: you don't want SCA-wide rules".

      That's part of why, when I looked at your points yesterday, I said
      to be careful complaining that Omarad didn't make Society-wide rules,
      so these are illegal. You could lose big by winning small: and
      get Society-wide rules instead.

      Padraig lives here. He knows us, he gets us, he is us.

      If this sort of change is coming at all, Darius, this is the best
      way to get it. The question is: can you really successfully fight
      against this change and win completely? I don't think so.

      If you can't, will fighting it make this change better or worse?
      I think it is already minimum-sized and local, and I bet things
      could get worse far more easily than they can get better.

      Tibor

      --
      Joshua

      "There is something to be learned from a rainstorm. When meeting with a sudden shower, you try not to get wet and run quickly along the road. But doing such things as passing under the eaves of houses, you still get wet. When you are resolved from the beginning, you will not be perplexed, though you still get the same soaking. This understanding extends to everything." Yamamoto Tsunetomo

      --
[...]

    • Mark Schuldenfrei
      Message 52 of 52 , May 1, 2010
        Lewis Tanzos wrote:
        >> I'm not a fighter. (Likely can't ever be, now. On the wrong
        >> medications, I bruise like a peach.) I'm a herald.
        >
        > *grin*
        >
        > I've bruised like a peach for my entire life. I'm also a herald. I do
        > not find that incompatible with fighting. (OK. I admit that when one
        > has the position I currently have, there's not much time for
        > fighting.)
        >
        > There's nothing wrong with "I do not want to fight." While I may not
        > understand that attitude, I have always acknowledged that fighting is
        > not for everyone.

        I do want to fight. But I'm on cardiac meds that promote bleeding.
        The bruising would be spectacular. Think hemophilia quality
        stuff. If I cut myself shaving, I bleed for half an hour...

        > I think his goal is good - a better appearance on the field is a good
        > thing. I also think that, if you've reached the point where you feel
        > you have to legislate it, especially by shoving it down people's
        > throats, you've already lost.

        Yup: already lost. Now what does one do?

        Tibor