Re: [cobra_warband] Smoking in the encampment and at events-everyone please read

  • The Solomons
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 14, 2009
      Bear has no problem having his fly placed in the back of the encampment to accomodate the smoking area for the smokers.  (non smokers are welcome as well).   Should the decision be made that Serpentius become a "non-smoking" encampment in the future, we will have to discuss our options and make a decision as to whether we will continue to camp with our family or not. I hope that in us growing so large, so quickly, that "majority rule" doesn't wind up making the "minority" feel unwelcome.  As Killian said, we're all supposed to be a family, and we have worked long and hard making our Serpentius encampment perfect for us.  The encampment area has grown large enough where there should be no reason why a smoking area should not be able to be accomodated.

      ~Kat

      Message -----
      Sent: Sunday, June 14, 2009 5:10 PM
      Subject: RE: [cobra_warband] Smoking in the encampment and at events-everyone please read

      Hey gang,

      Killian here.  I'm gonna title this "Much ado about nothing."  Sounds like this issue is escalating way out of control.  This is supposed to be a fun event for EVERYONE and we are supposed to be like family. Doesn't sound that way from the posts I've been reading.  In the words of the great Rodney King, can't we all just get along?

      I don't smoke but I know my friends do.  I respect people's rights to not be around smoke also.  If people don't want to be around smoke does that mean we will also be eliminating bonfires?  Then what about the drinking?  That's not a good thing either.  And the language?  Will it be a no cursing zone too?  And the fighting.... ..  This is Pennsic.  We know what we are signing up for.

      Everyone should be able to have a fun time without infringing on others.  There should be a smoking area for those that want to and having it in the back by the shower or kicking our smokers to the Carillion curb seems like we are punishing those who smoke.  There should also be non-smoking area for those who want to be away from the smoke.

      Perhaps we can compromise and accomodate everyone without getting our backs up.

      Just a thought.

      Killian

      PS You can make fun of me.  I can take it.....I fight Madu!

      From: simonredbeard@ gmail.com
      Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 12:31:31 -0400

      Just throwing my two cents out there.

      I'm not a smoker, but I like having a smoking area at Pennsic. As far as events, having the main gathering area be nonsmoking makes sense to me, and I would support that.

      I think it wouldn't be too hard to have a smoking area in the camp at Pennsic, and having the rest of the camp be non smoking would give people a lot of options.

      Besides, if Bear is off in Carillion smoking, then who will we make fun of? Probably me, and I don't need that. ;-)

      -Simon

      On Sun, Jun 14, 2009 at 11:35 AM, <duchessroxane@ comcast.net> wrote:

      We will only have my 10x10 and Ardenia's 10x10 for a common area. It will be small but that's what we have. Bear certainly has the right to decide to keep his fly for personal space.

      The other question I have is do we need a smoking area at all in camp? Many Pennsic camps are smoke free and by my assessment, Bear is the only smoker we have pre-registered. Afra states he is going to war but has not yet pre-registered.  With the deadline on Monday, I am guessing he is not going to War this year or not camping with Serpentius. So with only 1, possibly 2 smokers, several non-smokers including 3 small children/babies, do we even need to allow it in camp at all? I would be happy to put up a poll on the subject, though I can predict the results already. Several individuals have already complained to me about not wanting to be near the smoke and/or have their children near the smoke.

      I have also heard from Serpentius members not camping with us with similar complaints-in the future at events, Ed/Em's or other non-smoking flys will be the main gathering point for the household. Bear and Katrina certainly have the right to smoke under thier own fly but it's not fair to the non-smokers to have to choose between hanging out with thier household or endangering thier health. I typically leave when the smoking begins and go visit other people at events.  Therefore I can sympathize with the smoking interfering with being able to spend time with my household. However, we should certainly continue to strive to have the flys near each other.

      If smoking in camp is that important to Bear and Afra, they can always camp with the Serpentius folks in Carillion. Carillion has many smokers. I am sure they would be made welcome.

      Bear, I will be placing your fly in the back corner by the shower. The front of the encampment is for common areas.

      Roxane

      --
      "Artem autem illam mortiferam et Deo odibilem ballistoriorum et sagittariorum, adversus christianos et catholicos de cetero sub anathemate prohibemus."

    • Ken Worthington
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 14, 2009
        Greetings all,

        As far as the smoking situation goes, I don't mind smoke, and if it helps my tent etc can be placed near the smoking area as a means to distance everyone else from it.

        Come to think of it...why not place all the people who don't mind it between the smoking area, and those who do mind it?  That way they can have an increased distance from the smoke and odor.  Not sure if that will make a difference, but I'm willing to help maintain harmony however I can.

        YIS,

        Kendrick

        PS - ...and I also fight madu, using one that outrages the marshals more than a standard one...I'm bringing it along to show you other madu-ists...you'll get a kick out of it :-)
      • Josh Carney
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 14, 2009
          Bear I have nothing but love for you man, and I didnt intend for it to come to kicking you to an other  encampment.  I didnt want to throw you under the bus like I have enjoyed before

          But,  As a dude in the middle ( I do enjoy a cigar from time to time) i see the merit of both sides.  There are people that get run off by smoke and that isnt fair but neither is kicking Bear out.  But I think that moving the smoking area to a place were it will not interfere with the non-smokers is the best solution.

          Second hand smoke is bad, real bad I think we can all agree on that, but our friendships are important too.

          Killian,  I understand what you are saying about this and before you know it we could have a bed time too.  Oops that is BG :-)  But if we are going to have children around the smoke I think we need to consider them before we consider our own vises.  Would you swear around a 5 year old boy?  I know you wouldnt,  I think what people are asking for is a little consideration both way?  I am wrong in wanting everyone to have fun and feel comfortable?

          -H

          On Sun, Junn 14, 2009 at 8:04 PM, Ken Worthington <kenworthington@...> wrote:

          Greetings all,

          As far as the smoking situation goes, I don't mind smoke, and if it helps my tent etc can be placed near the smoking area as a means to distance everyone else from it.

          Come to think of it...why not place all the people who don't mind it between the smoking area, and those who do mind it?  That way they can have an increased distance from the smoke and odor.  Not sure if that will make a difference, but I'm willing to help maintain harmony however I can.

          YIS,

          Kendrick

          PS - ...and I also fight madu, using one that outrages the marshals more than a standard one...I'm bringing it along to show you other madu-ists...you'll get a kick out of it :-)

          --
          Joshua

          "It is easy to kill someone with a slash of a sword. It is hard to be impossible for others to cut down" - Yagyu Munenori
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 15, 2009
            Josh you got it right.
            nobody wants to kick Bear out.
            What is going on is if Syr

            "the answer to your first question is SHADDUP!!!!!!!"DEADPOOL issue#23    Darius

            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 15, 2009
              O sorry hit the shift button by mistake
              If Syr Bear can live with the smoking area being in an out of the way place in camp its settled.
              If that is unacceptable then we need another solution.
              Roxane suggested Carillion encampment as an alternative if the out of the way smoking area was untenable to Syr Bear. We also have 1/2 dozen members in that camp most of which smoke. Nobdy told Bear to pack up and leave.

              It seems to me from the chatter I have heard the concensus is to have  a smoking area out of the way where the smokers can smoke and thenon smokers are not having to deal with it.

              One thing about this household we do poll all major decisions and if a solution to a problem cannot be reached we poll.This particular situation seems to be working itself towards a solution.If we cannot work it out then we can set up a poll with as many options as people like.

              For the record sometimes the poll goes against what I want.Thats why its set up blind So nobody influences anyonelse.Always put the Majority first is my credo.However I will not set up a poll to intentionally hurt anyone just because they are in the minority( yes Bear that includes you).If we had to poll it would not be to throw anyone out of camp.( Kat &Bear if it came across that way I am sorry for any distress caused.)

              lets say for example we polled for the location of the smoking area.

              Lets say the result was out of the way.

              At this point the smokers would have to use an out of the way area or camp elsewhere.
              But it is their choice.
              What I am looking at is there are smokers, non smokers like me who are not affected by it and asthamatics some who are allergic to the smoke.

              Some want a non smoking camp
              Some want a camp where you are free to smoke where ever
              some just dont care.

              I am I correct in saying that an out of site out of mind smoking area is a resonable comprimise? Or does the group desire a formal poll.

              Also at events we can designate Bears fly as a smoking area.

              Who ever sets up the second one can be a non smoking area.

              That never occured to me as I spend so little time under the flys.

              What do people think of that?

              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 15, 2009
                I was under the impression that this had been settled.  I think having a smoking area in camp out of the main area is a fine compromise (and so does Bear)

                ~K

                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 15, 2009
                  Cool, sounds like it is resolved?

                  -H

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 15, 2009
                    I wanted to make sure everybody understood what was going on and that nobdy was talking about throwing Bear out of camp.
                    That I was interpreting things correctly.
                    So we can put this to rest.
                    I find that when I make assumptions things go badly.
                    I am just being over cautious.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 15, 2009
                      Unless anbody has any objections lets consider the matter closed?

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 15, 2009
                        Sounds good boss.

                        -J

                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 15, 2009
                          I think we should kick bear out anyway.

                          Message 12 of 13 , Jun 15, 2009

                              Well if that's the case, dibs on his cigars!

                            ***  Think Clearly, Act Decisively, Live Honorably ***