Re: [Seniormemoirs] Wed. essay [1 Attachment]

  • Stanley Levin
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 21, 2012
                  Marie: Your essay on "toughing it out" was a well thought out approach to the broad subject and a healthy outlook on life we all should adopt--- it we haven't already done so. Your last comment "it's called life" was the perfect ending. I try to never lose sight of how precious life is and I remind myself just about every day of how great it is to be alive. The chronological memoir I have written for my grand children is over 280 pages in length. It has enabled me to review for them my life, the culture of the past and the many situations and associations I have experienced over my 80 years. After re-reading your essay I've thought of the content of my memoir and realize it is 99.9 % full of positives. Yet, we know we all have experienced negatives.

      Reading my essay yesterday I had no idea what deep emotions, buried somewhere in side of me, would arise when I revisited the mental image of the white hospital ship silently passing by our troop ship. It was difficult for me to control myself and my reaction surprised and embarrassed me somewhat. (Of course men are not supposed to cry.) I experienced no such emotion 59 years ago. Apparently I was a toughened 21 year old at that point in time. Not so tough today.

      Be well. Stanley

      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 21, 2012
        Hi Stan,  I loved your essay.  I agree with Bob that it was a primer on how to turn a boy into a man.  But it was much more than that.  Never be emarrassed about showing emotion; it is a sign of someone with a heart.  I'm glad you enjoyed my essay.  See you next time.  Marie
        PS   Your grandchildren are very lucky that you have done what sounds like a complete life story for them to learn from.  How I wish I had more knowledge about my father's life.