Wed. essay

  • Marie Prescott
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 20, 2012
    For anyone who could not attend today, here is my reading.  Marie
  • Marie Prescott
    Message 2 of 4 , Jul 21, 2013
      For anyone who missed the Wed. session: Marie   My attachment function is not working so I tried this.
      ON THE SEA, ON THE SEA, ON THE BEAUTIFUL SEA
      I had never been to Martha’s Vineyard but had always heard about it.  Its history was interesting and it had its own mystique.  My daughter, Barbara, her friend, Sue, and I had planned to spend a long weekend there.  We had found a little bed and breakfast inn, called the Admiral Benbow Inn, which sounded very charming and Victorian and was centrally located right near a bus route which could take us almost anywhere we wanted to go on the island.  When the time arrived in August of 2009, we felt lucky that a hurricane which had just swept along the coast of New England was more or less gone.  We arrived at the ferryboat dock early on a Friday morning, again feeling so fortunate that our trip had not been postponed or, worse, cancelled.  We bought our tickets and joined the throng of other passengers.  We had decided since this was our first trip to Martha’s Vineyard, to see as much as possible on the ferry crossing.  So we hurriedly made our way to the outside seating, providing a view of the sea during our hour and a quarter long trip.  We noticed that it seemed a little rough, but figured that that was due to the previous day’s hurricane-strength winds, known as Hurricane Bill.
      After about twenty minutes, my daughter began to look a little pale and I think I heard a faint moan escape her lips.  Sue and I looked at her, asking,  “Are you all right?”  She didn’t need to answer.  It was obvious that she was not all right.  I sent Sue for some paper towels and sick bags, but before I could be of any help to Barbara, the boat began to appear kind of wavy.  Either that or my vision was playing tricks on me.  Suddenly I felt terribly sick, the kind of ailment where you want to be in your own house, not on a lurching boat full of strangers.  Very soon, there were two of us moaning and completely unable to function.  If you have never experienced such motion sickness, try to imagine a combination of stomach flu, a roiling, churning version, and throw in a good dose of vertigo, and maybe a severe headache for good measure.  Barbara had packed some Dramamine in her purse and Sue was able to find it and get us some water to get it down, although belatedly.
      The trip seemed to take far longer than an hour and a quarter; it felt like hours of suffering.  As we finally approached the landing dock, I began to wonder who was going to carry us and our luggage off the boat, because I could not make my legs work or open my eyes.
      Finally the boat came to a stop.  The world was right side up again, due in part to the anti-vertigo medication.  Somehow we forced ourselves, after everyone else had disembarked, to grab our bags and stumble to the exit.  How we ever made it off that boat is a mystery---or a miracle.  With the help of terra firma and the immediate effect of the medication, which, by the way, we should have taken before we left, we found our way to the Admiral Benbow Inn, led by Sue, who was the only good sailor among us.
      The owner must surely have thought that we were slightly drunk or at least hung over, but when we explained what had happened, she was very solicitous.  She asked where we had been sitting on the boat.  That’s when we learned that we had been in the worst possible place for someone prone to seasickness.  Instead of the stable lower level in the center, we had been as far to the outside as one could get.  We also learned that the boat had experienced 14-foot swells, throwing us up into the air and then crashing back down again, repeatedly, similar to my worst nightmare of a carnival ride.  Not wanting to waste any precious vacation time, we all set out into the town.  By now the side effect of the Dramamine began to take hold.  I walked and felt like a sleepwalker, a zombie-like one.  Every time I saw a chair, it beckoned to me.  Even the cement sidewalk looked inviting. It wasn’t until the next morning that Barbara and I felt normal again and could enjoy the sights and experiences that Martha’s Vineyard offered.
      I tried hard not to think about getting back on that ferry for the trip home.  But now we were educated about where to sit and what to avoid.  We planted ourselves in the lowest, most stable central area possible while Sue decided to go outside in the open air section.  You don’t think she was trying to get away from us, do you?  She claimed she wanted to take some pictures.  Thank heaven this part of the trip was uneventful.  I will add that I have been on a ferryboat since then, but not in the immediate aftermath of a hurricane.  Barbara and I often laugh about this dreadful experience-----now.
                                                       Marie Prescott
                                                        July 15, 2013

      sion:  Marie
    • Robert von Bargen
      Message 3 of 4 , Jul 22, 2013
        Marie:
        Excellent memoir ... As always! I know you appreciated Stan's adventures on. Troop ship and the sea sickness he encountered.
        Martha's Vineyard is indeed an interesting place. Edgartown has some lovely parks and good restaurants. You were fortunate that you chose The Vineyard and not Nantucket.  That would truly have been a difficult trip.
        Be well!
        Bob

        PS: Did you visit the Oceanographic Institute in Woods Hole on that trip? We took our grandson there. They have excellent tours conducted by senior scientists. Very interesting and informative!

        Sent from my iPhone