Elaine's Essay

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 16, 2011

      THE NEIGHBORHOOD

      Barnes & Nobles

      June 15, 2011

      Elaine Procida

      I have lived in my current neighborhood for 42 years.  I moved in as a young lady and am now a young old lady.  For the most part, it has served me well.  When I first moved in to my apartment building at The Towers of Windsor Park, I had a free bus to Philadelphia for my daily commute to work.  I had a swimming pool, which I occasionally used.  Being out to work most of the day, I can’t say I knew my neighbors that well, except for the ones who rode the bus with me.  It was not until after retiring and joining a senior group here that I met many more of my neighbors and became friends with some.  It seemed like a good place to grow old in without the cares of having a house.

      But, does anything ever stay the same?  The Towers has aged along with me and, as is normal with aging, is no longer as nice looking as it once was.  Or as strong!  Or as pain free!  The place changed from what was originally mostly middle aged, middle class to older aged, middle class.  For some reason, we never had more than an occasional child living here.  Gradually, over the years, our number of vacant apartments increased.  Of course, management had to try to think of ways to increase occupancy.  Changes were made:  The two-year lease that was required to move in was dropped.  People could move in for a few months if they wanted to and then disappear.  The requirement of no pets (which translated to no barking dogs) was dropped.  We were hearing more and more barking dogs.  And the children:  so many families with small children were moving in, most of them after they had lost their house.

      So where does that leave me?  I have concerns that if my apartment complex changes too much, I might be forced to move.  But where would I go?  The places I like are all too expensive for me.  Remember, Cherry Hill has rent control and someone like me who has been in the same place for 42 years benefits from this.  But, is it really worst now?  I will be the first to admit that some changes I like.  I love children and love seeing them around.  Are they noisy?  Sure, but if it gets too bad all I have to do is remove my Cochlear Implant processor and will not hear them.  I love my new little neighbors Emily aged six and Ethan aged three and am amazed at how much they love being with me.  I even, kind of, like the dogs, As long as they don’t try to jump on me or bark too much.  So I am staying for now.  Waiting to see what the future changes will be.