Re: [Seniormemoirs] memoirs of Mar. 16th

  • cdwelsher@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 17 7:29 PM

    Here's mine.

    Enjoy.

    Don

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "Marie Prescott" <mariebprescott@...>
    To: Seniormemoirs@yahoogroups.com
    Sent: Thursday, March 17, 2011 7:32:47 PM
    Subject: [Seniormemoirs] memoirs of Mar. 16th

    I would love to read the essays for Wed.'s session.  Sorry I could not be there.  See you soon.  Marie

    Message 2 of 9 , Mar 18 11:01 AM

      CLUTTER

      March 16, 2011

      Elaine Procida

      Clutter is a subject that interests me more than it does most people and its not because I am someone who has a compulsive hoarding problem.  In fact, I am the complete opposite.  But then, being anti-clutter seems to run in my family.  I can’t think of any family member who was not unusually neat. I remember one time when I happened to be visiting my brother in his office and I was amazed at how little was on his desk.  It certainly did not hinder his performance as he rose to be a Vice President of his company.

      Is it possible that while some people seem unable to stop clutter from controlling them, there are others who are controlled by a great need to get rid of everything they don’t absolutely need?  I do think so and I am one of them.  I can actually suffer with anxiety when I look around and see things that I have no use for.

      I love empty space.  Whether it’s riding a bus through the Northwest plains with nothing on the horizon except miles of grassland with mountains in the background; or walking on the beach while looking out to the beautiful view of the ocean, clouds and birds flying; or looking around my apartment and seeing just what I need and nothing more.

      The problem for me comes when I am unable to control what I perceive as clutter in my life:  The scrapbooks with pictures that go back many years and for which I have written down my thoughts and memories.  I hate the thought that these will just end up in the trash.  The clutter that I perceive when I go on the computer with endless possibilities that I could never ever begin to explore, The endless rows of books in a library or book store.  It seems, the more there is, the more I want to run away.  The person (Herbert Simon) who said “A Wealth of Information Creates a Poverty of Attention” seems to be describing exactly how I feel.

      Recently I read an article in Newsweek Magazine titled:  I Can’t Think.”  It goes on to state:  The Twitterization of our culture has revolutionized our lives, but with an unintended consequence – our overloaded brains freeze when we have to make decisions.  It seems that others are coming to realize that the word “Clutter” can mean more than just accumulating unnecessary things.

      I would love to read the essays for Wed.'s session.  Sorry I could not be there.  See you soon.  Marie

    • Pete Hunter
      Message 3 of 9 , Mar 21 9:44 AM
        Hi! Elaine;

        Read your clutter story and liked it very much. It was different, intangible ... a very interesting twist.

        Good stuff,

        ....PETE

        Message 4 of 9 , Mar 21 4:26 PM
          Thanks Pete.  I appreciate your comment.

          Elaine

          Read your clutter story and liked it very much. It was different, intangible ... a very interesting twist.

          Good stuff,

          ....PETE

          I would love to read the essays for Wed.'s session.  Sorry I could not be there.  See you soon.  Marie

        • Marie Prescott
          Message 5 of 9 , Mar 24 6:47 PM
            Hi Elaine,  I just read and loved your essay.  You certainly had a different take on the subject. I know exactly what you meant concerning the scrapbooks and other things that mean a lot to you.  However, in some ways, I keep too much.  So many things have a sentimental meaning to me that I am at times collected by them!!!   Hope to see you nexct session.  Marie

            I would love to read the essays for Wed.'s session.  Sorry I could not be there.  See you soon.  Marie

          • patricia shipe
            Message 6 of 9 , Mar 25 5:38 AM
              Can you give me help please?   What is the topic for April?   thank you.
              pat McHugh.

              Message 7 of 9 , Mar 25 5:56 AM
                The subject is.......BUCKET LIST....

                Smile,
                Elaine

                Message 8 of 9 , Mar 25 6:32 AM
                  Topic for April is: "Bucket List".
                  ...Things to be done/experienced before we "kick the bucket".

                  From: patricia shipe <patriciashipe@...>
                  Sender: Seniormemoirs@yahoogroups.com
                  Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 05:38:48 -0700 (PDT)
                  To: <Seniormemoirs@yahoogroups.com>