Railroads (where is everyone?) Smile

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 24, 2010

      RAILROADS

      Barnes & Nobles

      August 18, 2010

      Elaine Procida

      Why is it that Railroads seem to always give me a nice pleasant feeling?  As a very small child, I developed a love for trains.  For me, the best part of Christmas was watching the little train pushing down the track around the Christmas tree.  I was disappointed when it had to be put away until the following year.  Another early memory was of my mother taking my brother and I on the trolley to the river.  Then we would board a boat to the other side and the best part of the trip:  Getting on the train to Atlantic City.   I just loved the sounds, the sights and the feeling of moving oh so fast.

      My next memory is when I was around 11 years old.  It was July and my mother was on vacation for two weeks.  A friend of hers had told her how nice it was to go to Miami Beach Florida and, best of all; it was very very cheap in the summer time.  And, so it was that my mother, brother and I found ourselves on a 24-hour railroad adventure to Miami Beach.  It was my first time sleeping overnight on a train seat and, as far as I can remember, I found it quite comfortable.  I will never forget waking up in the early morning when it was still dark.  The train had stopped at a station in Georgia.  And, as the train pulled away again, I saw my first Palm Tree.

      It was a few years after that, when I had started working, that my mother and I took a train trip that took us from the Philadelphia to Los Angeles, with stops at the Grand Canyon and Las Vegas where we spent several days.  I think I would have liked to spend the rest of my life taking these great train trips to different places.  But, it was the time when plane travel was coming into fashion and most of my trips following were by airplane or by car.  But my love of traveling by train was still there and occasionally, I was able to sneak in another ride:  Such as in 2007 when I took the train on a great tour through the Canadian Rockies from Calgary to Vancouver. And, must not forget, my first ride on the Metro.  I went from Gothenburg Sweden to Stockholm with my friend Carl.  The ride to Stockholm was on a regular train and took about five hours.  The trip back to Gothenburg was on the Metro and only took a couple of hours.  I really loved that.  Now in my senior years, I am hoping that the trains will, once again, make a great comeback and I can travel by train through our beautiful country from the east coast to the west coast with stops along the way.