What Matters

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 17, 2009

      WHAT MATTERS

      September 16, 2009

      Elaine Procida

      I’m sure I am not the only person who feels overwhelmed with life as it is today; with our more is better culture.  Not only has this harmed our environment, but it has probably affected us in other ways as well, not the least of which is “are we happier?”  I was reminded of this once again while researching information for this essay on the internet; Not my favorite place to be.

      I was simply overwhelmed with all the information available regarding the damages we are doing to the environment and what we need to do to correct this.  The fact of the matter is that the human brain wasn’t designed to deal with such a surfeit of data.  (Herbert Simon said it best: “A wealth of information creates a poverty of attention.”)

      As individuals, a lot of what needs to be done is beyond our hands.  Except to keep after the government and other agencies to move towards the things that we all know are important such as building cars that are more fuel efficient.  But that does not mean we are powerless.  On the contrary it is the little things that will have the biggest impact.  For example, one of the things I read according to Environmental Defense is:  “if every American skipped one meal of chicken per week, and substituted vegetarian foods instead, the carbon dioxide savings would be the same as taking more than a half-million cars off U.S. roads.”

      There are so many little things we could all do such as: before turning on a light, ask yourself if it is really necessary.  Lets all come up with a list of things we can do to lessen our impact on the environment.  Remember, it’s the little things in life that are important.