Re: [Seniormemoirs] What I Do When I DO Nothing At ALl

  • Pete Hunter
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 28, 2009
      Tom,

      Great remembrance and very well worded.
      You're the first person in years that I have heard mention, Mumbly Peg.
      I guess there are various spellings for this grass chewing, dirt eating little game ... according to what neck of the woods you're from ... but I spell it the same as you.
      When you have a mouth full of some body's front yard, you mumble and spit a lot.

      Long ago, I applied a dash of Aristotelian, deductible, logical thinking and deduced, that's how the originators came up with the name. I've stuck with that reasoning on others words and situations my entire life and it has served me well.

      Ironically, several months ago I started a remembrance short story titled, "When High-top Boots Came With a Pocket Knife." It's about how well armed children were, especially boys, back in olden days. Just about every Christmas, my grand parents would buy me a pair of High-top boots at Sears & Roebucks. On the side of the right boot was a little leather pocket with a snap-flap, to keep the pocket knife that came with the boots. Today, on a shopping quest for those type of boots ... if they still existed ... you would have to look for the Terrorists Department on the Sears directory at the Mall.

      Isn't it sad that we can't teach our children how to whittle things out of wood or soap or for young boys, smitten by a pretty girl no longer cant carve a statement of their love for each other in the bark of a tree? And last but not least, no longer to able to play Mumbly Peg for fear of being labled disturbed or otherwise a danger to himself or to society?

      Sorry, didn't mean to ramble.

      See you at the meet,

      PETE HUNTER