Re: [Seniormemoirs] June 18th reading

  • Elaine Procida
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 18, 2008

      And here is my reading.....

      JOBS & CHORES (Learning Life’s Lessons)
      Barnes & Nobles
      June 18, 2008

      Elaine Procida

      I’m not sure what made P.J. so quick to learn the lessons he would need to get what he wanted in life.  But, from the stories that were told to me by my mother and then, later, by the things I observed myself it almost seems that he was born that way.

      When P.J. had still not mastered fully the ability to walk and talk, he learned his first lesson.  He would find his mother’s handbag (pocket book) and bring it to her saying something like “peek pok” and she knew this meant he wanted her to open it and give him a penny to buy some candy or maybe a toy.  So the first lesson he learned was “always know where the pennies are.”

      A few years later he was old enough to walk down the street by himself and go into a little grocery store.  He would tell the owner (who knew him) what he wanted and say: “my mother will pay you.”  At first his mother thought that was cute but when he was bringing home too many things on credit, she told the store keeper “no more credit.”  So his second lesson was “don’t become too greedy or you might lose everything.”

      His third lesson involved his sister (me).  He started a little business of bringing his wagon and me to the shopping market to wait for people who might want us to carry their groceries home in our wagon.  He was successful at this and I suspected the people were giving him bigger tips because they thought I was cute.  So I suggested to him that maybe he should start to pay me.  He said: “I really wish I could but I need the money more than you do.”  So his 3rd lesson was to always have loyal employees.

      His next venture, which I don’t remember too much of, was when he was a pre-teen and he was helping in a grocery store.  I don’t think he stayed there very long so maybe he learned there to “get out if the pay is too cheap.”

      While still in high school in South Philadelphia, P.J. found a job in an advertising agency in center city, followed by a job with Sun Oil Company.  By the time he was in his early 20’s he had a full time office job, a part time job pumping gas in a service station in Collingswood, he was going to college at night and was in the marine reserve all at the same time.  His lesson at this time had to be “you can get along with very little sleep and be all you can be”.

      Shortly after getting married he found his lifetime work and rose to become V.P. of International Operations for the parent company and President of their International Division.  The lesson he tried to teach everyone else was “success comes only with hard work” Finally, two years ago, he retired ready to relax and enjoy the fruit of his labor.  Ha, no such thing….  After moving to Chicago he obtained a position, as a teacher in a school of international studies and after only one year became the director of the school.  The one lesson I don’t think he will ever learn is how to stop working.