Re: [Sejarah Melayu] Malay Manuscripts

  • kanagasaba
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2002
      Thank you very much for the site Salim,

      > http://www.xs4all.nl/~wichm/subud1.html

      > The word "merging" is quite inappropriate to Sufism, as it
      > tends to convey a coming together of two objects/entities. If
      > Allah is the absolute, then only Allah "is". The proper term
      > is "fana" or passing away of the illusory.

      From what I undertsand - (which again some might agrue);

      "fana" or "fana fillah" is a state of reaching/approaching the absolute or
      the "state of being" eg. "shawq" - where an aspirant who experiences the
      state of beautitude does not remain in this realm forever but falls back to
      his human state of being.

      Contrary to it is the "baqa billah" - a state in which the aspirant does not
      fall back to the gross state of being anymore but remains there forever -
      which I undertsand as mergence into the ocean - the Haq. One state which I
      can relate to this phenomenon is "a'jam".

      So fana should be a temporary state where else baqa a permenant one - the
      ultimate, dreamt by an ardent aspirant.

      saba
    • Salim Ahmed
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 3, 2002
        Dear Saba,

        Two men stood on the pier and looked out to the sea.

        One saw the "sea" and the "waves". And when the winds
        subsided, said : "The waves have merged with the sea.."

        The other saw a body of water that have acquired names
        -"sea" and "waves". Essentially one, formally different.
        And when the winds subsided, said : "The waves have
        returned to their origin.."

        Two expressions/observations, same phenomena.

        The second, however, is closer to the sufic spirit.

        Here's what Hamzah Fansuri, 16th century Malay Sufi,
        said with regards to "merging" :

        In the same manner as the sea and the waves are
        not "separate", so [the Lord and His slave are
        not separate]. This is the meaning of the Ocean
        and the Waves are both intimate.

        Fa'lam -At last to its depth the Waves will sink

        That is to say, the waves subside into the Ocean.
        The waves come from the ocean, and their return,
        too, is to the ocean.

        This is the meaning of [the text] irji'i ila asli
        hi -return thou to thy origin-as said by God Most
        Exalted :

        Irji ila rabbika radiyatan mardiyyah that is
        ...return (thou) to thy Lord well pleased, well
        pleasing.

        The Lovers (meaning, Sufis) understand "return"
        to mean that when the lover sees his self no more,
        he returns to the depths of the ocean and becomes
        the ocean. If he still sees his self, then he is
        still not returning and he is not yet "drowned".

        In the opinion of Lovers [the state of still
        seeing their selves] is called "polytheism". This
        is the meaning of "At last to its depths the Waves
        will sink".

        - Syed Muhammad Naguib al Attas
        The Mysticism of Hamzah Fansuri (University of
        Malaya Press) Page 393

        Any idea why old manuscripts use only black and red
        ink ? Or were there other colours used ?

        Best regards,
        Salim