16Re: Misc. Info! SIETZ Correction

  • camiann2000
    Mar 17, 2005
      Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 13:03:56 -0500
      From: "Dwayne Wrightsman" <dwayne55@...>
      To: BRETHREN-L@...
      Subject: Re: [BRE] 1799 Petition from the German Baptists of Botetourt

      CORRECTION: The original 1799 Petition was hand-written in English.
      Page
      604 of Richard R. Weber's Stover Brethren book has a transcription, not a
      translation, of the original. My apologies to Richard.

      Dwayne Wrightsman

      --- In SeitzFamilyGroup@yahoogroups.com, "camiann2000"
      <camiann2000@y...> wrote:

      > I rcd. this from the Brethren List that I belong to.
      >
      > Spelling of SEITZ if different, but maybe something someone would like
      > to file away?
      >
      > Happy St. Patrick's Day!!
      >
      > Cammie

      > Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 12:14:12 -0500
      > From: "Dwayne Wrightsman" <dwayne55@c...>
      > To: BRETHREN-L@r...
      > Subject: 1799 Petition from the German Baptists of Botetourt
      >
      > 1799 Petition from the German Baptists of Botetourt:
      >

      > There were 42 German Baptist Brethren of Botetourt County who signed a
      > petition (written in German) in 1799 to the Virginia state government
      > asking
      > to be excused from serving muster with the militia. Those who signed
      > were
      > named in Roger Sappington's THE BRETHREN IN THE NEW NATION, 1976, p.
      > 332. A
      > corrected list of the names are in Richard R. Weber's STOVER BRETHREN,
      > 2001,
      > pp. 78-79. Weber also has the images of the original petition, pp.
      > 78-79,
      > as well as an English translation (p. 604). The names on the petition
      > read
      > as a who's who of the Brethren in Botetourt. Some of the surnames
      > include
      > Harshbarger, Beckner, Graybill, Rinehart, Ammen, Stover, Houtz, Frantz,
      > Kintzi, Noftzinger, Gish, Sollenberger, Snider, Neff, Myers, Britz,
      > Garst,
      > and Zigler.
      >
      > I have been able to figure out who most of those who signed were,
      > where they
      > lived in Botetourt, and how they related to one another, but there are
      > a few
      > names unfamiliar to me. The unfamiliar names are:
      >
      > Jacob Schiller (spelled Ritter in Sappington)
      > Philib Simon
      > Niclaus Sietz
      > Micel Minnic
      > Joseph Arnolt
      > George Leaman
      > Hannes Heiner
      >
      > Would like to hear from any Brethren lister who might be able to
      > provide any
      > information on one or more of these seven Brethren.
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Dwayne Wrightsman
      > Lee, NH
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic