SRS Videos

  • Doug Kelley
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 17, 2001
      The SRS gets numerous requests for videotapes of our meetings. We are
      assembling a tape library that folks on our mailing list can use to
      view/record/present. The signup databases can be found on YahooGroups under
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SeattleRobotics/database.

      Of course, there are a few rules:

      1. A household can only be on one signup list at a time.
      2. By signing up for a tape, you agree to mail that tape to the next person in
      line, even if that person is from a foreign country and postage will be extra.
      3. You get to keep the tape for one week only. During that time you can view
      the tape, make copies of it or present it to other people (at no charge).
      However, the SRS reserves all commercial rights to the contents of the tapes.
      4. If you do not ship the tape to the next person in line by the deadline, you
      will loose library privileges for six months. If you "loose" a tape, you will
      loose privileges permanently (keep receipts from the post office in case they
      are the ones who loose the tape). We're sorry for the hard line on this issue
      but we don't have the time/resources to track down late/missing tapes.
      5. You must provide an address, phone number and email address in order to
      receive the tapes. The SRS will not use this information for anything other
      than library purposes nor will it give/sell the information to third parties.
      Keep in mind, the SRS has no way to prevent people from mining this information
      from YahooGroups.

      If you have personal tapes (not copyrighted material) you would wish to
      distribute through the library, please contact me directly.

      For now, we have three tapes available for viewing. More have been recorded
      and will be available soon. Signup for the first three tapes will last until
      10 people have requested each tape or January 31, 2002 (whichever comes first).
      The first three tapes are:

      - Robothon 2001
      - Dr. Dieter Fox's presentation on Robot Navigation
      - Dr. Kristen Jaax's presentation on Artificial Muscle Spindles

      Let me know if you have any questions or requests. Special thanks to Bob Dyer
      and Ron Nucci for making the first few tapes.

      Doug Kelley
      SRS President
    • Doug Kelley
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 30, 2001
        I expected more interest in an SRS video library (I guess that's why I'm not in
        marketing)! Only eight people have signed up to receive videos. Since there
        isn't a great deal of interest, I'm dropping the rule to only sign up for one
        video at a time. The video database is at:

        Doug
      • Ed Okerson
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 30, 2001
          Would it be possible to put the videos on the net? Maybe RealVideo or avi
          format? That would eliminate mailing them around.

          Ed Okerson

          > I expected more interest in an SRS video library (I guess that's why I'm
          not in
          > marketing)! Only eight people have signed up to receive videos. Since
          there
          > isn't a great deal of interest, I'm dropping the rule to only sign up for
          one
          > video at a time. The video database is at:

          > Doug

        • Bob Dyer
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 30, 2001
            They would be HUGE!! Probably not practical.

            -------------------------
            Consider Carefully... Act Boldly!

            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 30, 2001
              Perhaps broadcast.yahoo.com (formerly broadcast.com) could be persuaded to
              host them. They have many large videos already.

              Ed Okerson

              > They would be HUGE!! Probably not practical.
              >
              > -------------------------
              > Consider Carefully... Act Boldly!

            • tad heckaman.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 30, 2001
                If you use divx then they would be about 100 megs a piece. or use realvideo
                and stream it to people

                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 30, 2001
                  No, this is primarily for the out-of-towners who are unable to attend the
                  meetings.

                  Doug

                  kevinrock@... writes:
                  >Howdy Doug,
                  > I am nowhere near Seattle am I eligible for this SRS perk?
                  >I would be interested in borrow a tape or two but I thought it
                  >was just for the locals.
                  > Kevin. KD5ONS
                  >

                  >12/30/01 7:42:59 AM, "Doug Kelley"
                  ><doug.kelley@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >>I expected more interest in an SRS video library (I guess
                  >that's why I'm not in
                  >>marketing)! Only eight people have signed up to receive
                  >videos. Since there
                  >>isn't a great deal of interest, I'm dropping the rule to only
                  >sign up for one
                  >>video at a time. The video database is at:

                  >>Doug

                  >http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                • Doug Leppard
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 30, 2001
                    I guess I misunderstood this also. I would love to see the videos here
                    in the sticks of Orlando, so I will sign up now.

                    Doug

                    kevinrock@... writes:
                    >Howdy Doug,
                    > I am nowhere near Seattle am I eligible for this SRS perk?
                    >I would be interested in borrow a tape or two but I thought it
                    >was just for the locals.
                    > Kevin. KD5ONS
                    >

                    >12/30/01 7:42:59 AM, "Doug Kelley"
                    ><doug.kelley@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >>I expected more interest in an SRS video library (I guess
                    >that's why I'm not in
                    >>marketing)! Only eight people have signed up to receive
                    >videos. Since there
                    >>isn't a great deal of interest, I'm dropping the rule to only
                    >sign up for one
                    >>video at a time. The video database is at:

                    >>Doug

                    >http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 31, 2001
                      search for divx. people have put whole DVDs on a cd rom.
                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 31, 2001
                        Yes, MPEG-2 is huge (but acceptable for a 9.4Gig DVD), so Divx uses MPEG-4,
                        so it fits on an 80 minute CD.