Re: [SeattleRobotics] computer fan

  • Doug Heckaman
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 2, 2001
      How far apart do the cups have to be. Since the fan blades are very small I
      was thinking I could use the round part the blades are hooked up to. It is
      about 3" wide.
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 2, 2001
        Doug Heckaman wrote:

        > I will take the fan blades off and use the shaft encoder out of the mouse.
        > What do I use for cups? I dont have a machine shop here so I cant make any
        > cups.

        Well if you're going to take the fan blades off, and use the encoder
        from a mouse, then there isn't much use in using a fan to start with.
        That's why I said just use the bearing, there's very little need for the
        rest of the fan or housing. Maybe the base part to hold the bearings if
        you can't think of any other way to do so..

        Wasn't thinking of anything so complex as to need a shop. Sticks and
        some kind of plastic rounded bottom item for the cups. Might be a good
        idea to look on the net first for general anemometer design ideas before
        you build it, no doubt someone out there has already found the perfect
        cheap items to make it with..

        Alan
      • Bryan Andersen
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 3, 2001
          Doug Heckaman wrote:

          > I will take the fan blades off and use the shaft encoder out of the mouse.
          > What do I use for cups? I dont have a machine shop here so I cant make any
          > cups.

          Ping pong balls cut in half...

          --
          | Bryan Andersen | bryan@... | http://www.nerdvest.com |
          | Buzzwords are like annoying little flies that deserve to be swatted. |