way beyond a newbie....

  • dragnfyr
    Message 1 of 25 , Nov 1, 2001
      I joined this list in hopes of learning some robotics, and I believe that
      I will, however I am way below most of you on the robotics scale it
      appears... Are there web sites and/or other groups like this where I can
      learn the basics of robotics? The mechanics I understand, but how to
      integrate that with the electronics and its coding have me at a loss.

      To the gentleman (or lady) who was trying to figure out how to mount a
      bearing, THAT I know the answer to assuming you have access to a drill press
      or drill. I can suggest two fairly easy ways of mounting a bearing if it has
      an inner and outer race. The first way is to simply sandwich the bearing
      between two pieces of metal bolted together around the flat sides of the
      bearing with a hole thru each side for the shaft and inner race clearance.
      The second is two use two plates and the frame of the bot, all three
      drilled for the bolts to hold them together, the outer and the frame also
      have the hole for the shaft and inner race, the center plate is the
      thickness of the bearing and has a hole the size of the bearing drilled in
      it so that the outer race fits inside it snuggly. Either way is doable by
      someone who understands the mechanics of a bearing, or can be machined for
      just the right appearance if you are also going for looks. Hope this was
      of some help

      Drag
    • dlc@verinet.com
      Message 2 of 25 , Nov 1, 2001
        > I joined this list in hopes of learning some robotics, and I believe that
        > I will, however I am way below most of you on the robotics scale it
        > appears... Are there web sites and/or other groups like this where I can
        > learn the basics of robotics? The mechanics I understand, but how to
        > integrate that with the electronics and its coding have me at a loss.

        Well, look here at the various projects here for Stamps, OOPic, Botboard 2,
        BasicX and BASCOM/AVR coding for various sensors and motors. Some of it is
        pretty basic, some more advanced and apparently some of it is pretty obscure...
        http://www.frii.com/~dlc/botlinks.htm I have source code on the robots and
        some various details on the sensor projects. Over time the various links and
        pages have grown somewhat organically, one day I'll have time to arrange it
        a bit better... Yeah right!

        have fun,
        DLC
        --
        -------------------------------------
        Dennis Clark dlc@...

      • dan michaels
        Message 3 of 25 , Nov 1, 2001
          --- In SeattleRobotics@y..., "dragnfyr" <dragnfyr@v...> wrote:
          > I joined this list in hopes of learning some robotics, and I
          believe that> I will, however I am way below most of you on the
          robotics scale it> appears... Are there web sites and/or other groups
          like this where I can> learn the basics of robotics? The mechanics I
          understand, but how to> integrate that with the electronics and its
          coding have me at a loss.

          Mr Dragnfyr,

          If you look through the list of groups AND clubs on Yahoo, you might
          find one that deals with the issues you are most interested in:

          http://dir.clubs.yahoo.com/Science/Engineering/Mechanical/Robotics/

          Also, regards coding, if you are new to this, you might look at some
          of the platforms available that are more suitable to those starting
          out, such as the Basic Stamp and OOPic. A lot of the more experienced
          groups revolve around Motorola 68HC11/etc processors, but these may
          be a bit high on the learning gradient to start with. There are many
          groups that deal with specific processors:

          hope this helps,
          - dan michaels
          www.oricomtech.com
          =================================
        • Campbell, Barrie (N-CDI Corp)
          Message 4 of 25 , Nov 1, 2001
            You have a number of options.

            Get a processor evaluation board and a good book. The '11 is a pretty
            advanced chip,
            but with a good book and an intuitive language like sbasic, (I think 681x
            asm is pretty intuitive, but...)
            you could go far. Get the book first. Go to the local library or book store
            and read the book before
            you buy it, then get the processor to match. Don't buy an 11 because I said
            so, other processors
            like the PIC or Stamp have cheap boards with excellent references. (anyone
            have a good package to recommend?)

            Take a class at the local college/university. I got my start in a
            microprocessor course. Stay away from high-level
            languages like C, C++ or Java, as these courses tend to be application
            oriented and do not address hardware.
            The class I took was in the Engineering curriculum, not the CS side. CS
            offered a "Small Systems" course for
            Intel assembly. That class learned PC IO programming that could be used to
            control a robot from a PC.

            Start with RC controls. Many of the robots in SRS use hobby servos for
            movement and control. These can be
            used with a traditional RC receiver, or patched into a microcontroller. A
            working RC robot is simple to retrofit w/ a
            brain.

            Stick with your strengths. If you build a switch controlled robot, it is
            relatively simple to replace the switches
            with relays. You can then gradually introduce more advanced
            electronics/software as you learn. A reversing motor
            controller can be made w/ 2 SPDT relays or 2 SPDT switches, you dont get pwm
            control or PID, but it will move.
            There will be plenty of time to add such things as you are more comfortable.

            Books on electronic circuits, logic, or one of the many robot building books
            would be a good reference as well. Go
            to the bookstore, read a bunch of books, buy the one that you understand the
            most (the one that you say "I could do that!")
            and get to work.

            If you are going to take a course, post a link to the description here and
            we could tell you if it is what to expect. We could
            recommend books, kits or web pages to read. (plug your favorite
            site/board/book here)

            Of course, read the Encoder, and post questions here.

            Have Fun
            TE

            Message 5 of 25 , Nov 1, 2001
              Board-of-education is a good one. you can buy classes that teach you how to
              use the stamp all the way up to programming your robot called BOE-Bot

            • herosformula@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 25 , Nov 1, 2001
                The first thing I did was read every article in the Encoder. I
                found that many of my newbie questions were either answered or given
                inks to an answer.
                - mark

              • dlc@verinet.com
                Message 7 of 25 , Nov 1, 2001
                  Great post! It brings up some ideas that I didn't initially think of for
                  helpful resources.

                  For beginners in electronics, these are great resources:
                  Radio Shack: Forrest Mimms' electronics series - great helpers.
                  Don Lancaster's "TTL Cookbook" is great for using and understanding
                  logic chips.

                  Beginners in robotics
                  Parallax Basic Stamp II and Scott Edwards "Programming and Customizing
                  the Basic Stamp Computer (2nd edition)", The Board of Education goes
                  well with this book and the Stamp II (IIP,IISX,...)

                  There is no gentler introduction to sensor/microprocessor interfacing
                  than the Stamps. When you graduate out to HC11/12, AVR or PIC chips you
                  can still find a use for that Stamp II!

                  Tons of fun out there - go for it!

                  DLC
                  --
                  --------------------------------------
                  Dennis Clark dlc@...

                • dragnfyr
                  Message 8 of 25 , Nov 2, 2001
                    After reading so many replies about how to drive wheels and apply power to
                    them, I had a picture in my head of a bot with a box-like frame and solid
                    mounted wheels.... does that seem to be kind of the norm? And if so, how
                    well would putting power to the wheels by direct drive work? Direct drive
                    being a drive wheel pressed against the road wheel (something like a self
                    propelled lawnmower, but each wheel is individually powered) Was just a
                    notion that popped into my head....

                    Drag
                  • V T
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jun 20, 2004
                      Hello,

                      I am an absolute beginner in Robotisc.

                      My friend who is a school teacher invited me to take part
                      in a project for his class. We are going to do it for free,
                      for the school does not have funds for it. :-)

                      His idea is to develop a set of computer programs
                      to control one or several robots' moving on the floor of
                      a room. The robot(s) must be watched by a web cam
                      connected to the computer which processes data
                      and sends commands through a wireless channel
                      (so the robots can have neither sensors nor processors,
                      only servo motors and devices which control them).

                      He thinks that in that way we could create an initial
                      course on robotics with minimal expenses.
                      He thinks that toy cars etc. which have remote
                      controls can be used as such robots (they will
                      need additional work of course).

                      If something will come out of it, next year the
                      school's management may provide some financing.

                      I am a C/C++ programmer with experience in
                      some fields very far from robotics. And my current
                      job has nothing to do with it. But the idea interested
                      me, and I am ready to spend some time on it.

                      May be some of the lists members have worked on
                      something similar. What do you think of the idea ?
                      Can it be done ?
                      We would be very thankfull for any information and/or
                      advice.

                      Regards
                      Vlad
                    • raymond melton
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jun 20, 2004
                        > The robot(s) must be watched by a web cam
                        > connected to the computer which processes data
                        > and sends commands through a wireless channel

                        This is an absolutely fascinating project! It
                        encompasses robotics at nearly all the higher levels,
                        and clearly finesses a lot of the purely mundane
                        stuff.
                        Please let us know how the project goes. It has
                        practical aplications, and is an attainable goal.

                        Regards, Ray.

                        P.S. On second thought, your project encompasses
                        robotics at ALL the highest levels.

                        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                      • Mr S
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jun 20, 2004
                          I think you want to google some links for 'robot
                          soccer'. That should help you find information about
                          what I understand is your goal, such as the link below

                          http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/%7Ebrettb/robocup/

                          Cheers

                          Message 12 of 25 , Jun 21, 2004
                            > > The robot(s) must be watched by a web cam
                            > > connected to the computer which processes data
                            > > and sends commands through a wireless channel
                            >
                            > This is an absolutely fascinating project! It
                            > encompasses robotics at nearly all the higher levels,
                            > and clearly finesses a lot of the purely mundane
                            > stuff.
                            > Please let us know how the project goes. It has
                            > practical aplications, and is an attainable goal.
                            >
                            > Regards, Ray.
                            >

                            > P.S. On second thought, your project encompasses
                            > robotics at ALL the highest levels.

                            As I have mentioned already, I am perfectly ignorant in
                            Robotics -- so I even do not know what "highest levels"
                            means. :-))

                            My friend teaches physics and just now he works to acquire
                            better knowledge of electronics.

                            We realize that there will be many difficulties and do not
                            formulate too ambitious goals. We would be content if we
                            would be able to make a toy car move from a corner
                            of the room to the opposite one as the first stage.

                            At the same time the project includes a part which we
                            call "virtual robots" -- a set of small s/w applications
                            illustrating principles of mechanics and electronics.

                            An example: a "robot" car driver. After being taught
                            about velocity and acceleration, inertia and friction,
                            a student is proposed to write a piece of code
                            which would check (imaginary) sensors and
                            control the car, taking into the calculations the
                            road's cirvature etc.
                            Or propose the problem to two or more students --
                            and see whose car would come first.

                            The main idea is that _I_ must do all the work for
                            that program beforehand -- interface, graphics, Win32 API calls--
                            and leave to the student only that part of the code
                            which relates to the car.

                            Regards
                            Vladislav
                          • V T
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jun 21, 2004
                              Thanks for the link.
                              It all is very interesting, but too complicated for us just now.
                              We have discussed already multy--threaded applications
                              albe to control a team of robots -- but that more relates
                              to our "virtual robots" part of the project.

                              As for "real" robots we want to begin with something
                              much more simple.

                              Regards
                              Vladislav

                              Message 14 of 25 , Jun 21, 2004
                                Vlad,

                                Would you consider keeping us posted with regards to
                                the progress on your current project? Your
                                webcam-controlled robot(s) venture is a highly
                                imaginative, albeit a potentially challenging,
                                project. It's a step or two above what I'm used to
                                hearing about. Cheers to you for taking on the idea.

                                I would actually like to get involved with such a
                                project, though I'm no roboticist. In fact, I'm a
                                mathematician. But robotics is what got me into math
                                in the first place, and I know my coding. And have
                                done some considerable research in the field of
                                robotics.

                                Take care.
                                Regards, Ray.

                                P.S. Feel free to shoot me an eletter if you don't
                                feel comfortable posting.

                                Message 15 of 25 , Jun 21, 2004
                                  I feel strongly that if I were to point out what the
                                  lower (lowest) levels of robotics were, I may no
                                  longer be welcomed to post here.

                                  > As I have mentioned already, I am perfectly ignorant
                                  > in
                                  > Robotics -- so I even do not know what "highest
                                  > levels"
                                  > means. :-))

                                  http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                                • Kenneth Maxon
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jun 21, 2004
                                    You've noticed that too? :)

                                    -Kenneth
                                    (Unit 3's in trouble and it's scared out of its wits) -Geddy Lee
                                    > I feel strongly that if I were to point out what the
                                    > lower (lowest) levels of robotics were, I may no
                                    > longer be welcomed to post here.
                                    >
                                    > > As I have mentioned already, I am perfectly ignorant
                                    > > in
                                    > > Robotics -- so I even do not know what "highest
                                    > > levels"
                                    > > means. :-))

                                  • raymond melton
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jun 21, 2004
                                      Well, Monday Night Chat is coming up in about an hour.
                                      I actually look forward to the chat channel on
                                      Mondays. Some interesting conversation there, and
                                      it's a quaint way of getting a feel for how other
                                      members of the SRS stand on certain topics. Perhaps
                                      I'll see you there.

                                      Regards, Ray

                                      --- Kenneth Maxon <kmaxon@...> wrote:
                                      > You've noticed that too? :)
                                      >
                                      > -Kenneth
                                      > (Unit 3's in trouble and it's scared out of
                                      > its wits) -Geddy Lee

                                    • Kevin Ross
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jun 22, 2004
                                        Post away.

                                      • Larry Barello
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Jun 22, 2004
                                          Ray, Kenneth: It is really frustrating to see email like below. Please,
                                          explain to me what you mean by the messages, below.

                                          If *anyone* has an issue with the mailing list and how it is run, please,
                                          drop me a note and let me know. I will be glad to tally things up and
                                          report back. If some common themes arise we can have a discussion on how to
                                          change things. I am a board member and President of the SRS parent
                                          corporation and a list moderator; I am very interested in this subject.

                                          Cheers!

                                          ----
                                          Larry Barello
                                          http://www.barello.net

                                          From: "raymond melton"

                                          > I feel strongly that if I were to point out what the
                                          > lower (lowest) levels of robotics were, I may no
                                          > longer be welcomed to post here.

                                        • RoboVac
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Jun 26, 2004
                                            Vladislav

                                            You might want to look more carefully at the RoboCup websites. Each year
                                            after the contest is over all the teams must post their code for everyone to
                                            see. This is to make it easier for new people to get started. Sort of open
                                            source code, but still is competitive.

                                            They have one division that uses an over head camera like you are talking
                                            about. They also have a division that uses simulated robots instead of real
                                            robots.

                                            William Crolley