FW: [SeattleRobotics] Eagle

  • ERIK W.
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 2, 2001
      FW: [SeattleRobotics] Eagle
      ------ Forwarded Message
      From: "Jeffrey T. Birt" <ditto@...>
      Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2001 19:57:19 -0500
      To: "erik w." <ewlists@...>
      Subject: Re: [SeattleRobotics] Eagle

      If you want to add the component to the bottom layer, click add, select component, then change the current layer before you place the component.  The layer tool bar pops up when you are adding a component.

      Another Eagle question:  Has anyone tried to create an odd shaped board (like ring shaped) in Eagle?  I tried drawing the circle in the dimension layer per the directions.  It just has a cow when it tries to autoroute.  Trying to create anything of a precise dimension or placing it in a precise location in board layout seems to be nearly impossible. It's REALLY difficult to add an odd sized component like the Hamamatsu P5587 sensor to the component library.  I had to settle for making the package a 4mm square rather than 4.0 x 4.2.
      Jeff Birt
      Halfway, Missouri
    • Brian Pitt
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 2, 2001
        Eagle handles circles, arcs and rectangles kind of strangely
        you might try using the Wire or Polygon tools and break the ring
        into many short line segments with about the right shape or add
        the circle outline after autorouting (or on the reference layer)

        the autorouter starts by creating a rectangle around all the signals and
        then trying to stay inside it ,so circular boards probably confuse it a bit

        for odd size packages you can change the snap grid settings to match the
        dimensions ,draw the 4mm square then change the grid to 0.2mm and bump one
        side out a notch
        when hand routing 'off-grid' pins click on the airwire nearest to
        the odd pin and snap the trace down to the normal grid somewhere close
        then the traces will match up when routing from the other end

        Brian

        On Sunday 02 September 2001 18:05, ERIK W. wrote:
        > Another Eagle question: Has anyone tried to create an odd shaped board
        > (like ring shaped) in Eagle? I tried drawing the circle in the dimension
        > layer per the directions. It just has a cow when it tries to autoroute.
        > Trying to create anything of a precise dimension or placing it in a precise
        > location in board layout seems to be nearly impossible. It's REALLY
        > difficult to add an odd sized component like the Hamamatsu P5587 sensor to
        > the component library. I had to settle for making the package a 4mm square
        > rather than 4.0 x 4.2.
        > Jeff Birt
        > Halfway, Missouri
      • Jeffrey T. Birt
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 2, 2001
          After playing with it a bit more tonight I think I'm getting closer. The
          first step is to layout the critical areas of the board in an actual CAD
          program. Dimension the components with critical spacing as well as the
          features needed to make up the boards desired shape. The dimensions must be
          from the lower left corner of the rectangle the board would fit in to. In
          my case the boards shape is a ring with the placement of two Hamamatsu photo
          reflective sensors being critical.

          The boards shape is defined in the dimension layer, so we have to make sure
          we are in this layer when drawing out new board shape. Delete the wire
          frame Eagle comes up with automatically when switching to board layout.
          Layout you board using the dimensions from the CAD drawing. When placing
          the circles used to make up my ring shaped board I typed in the coordinates
          manually. Click on circle, it asks for a center point. Type in the x y
          coordinates in the command line box in this format (123.456 12.45), you must
          use the parenthesis and use a space not a comma to separate the values. You
          then switch to the router layer and define 'draw' the inner ring again which
          not only adds the routing info to the file but puts the area off limits to
          the auto-router.

          To precisely place components I found it easier to select the component for
          a move and then manually enter the coordinates (as above) from the CAD
          drawing. I'm still playing with it but getting closer.
          Jeff Birt
          Halfway, Missouri