We saw it too

  • Gary Livick
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2001
      My wife and I saw AI tonight. Huge line, the place was packed.

      This movie is a "do see," maybe not a "must see." You can skip it
      without missing out on a major source of robotic inspiration. You won't
      be able to participate in a lot of discussions at work though.
      Everybody will be talking about this movie.

      I know an earlier SRS reviewer despised it. True, the movie is not
      complex, doesn't flow perfectly, doesn't have a solid story line with a
      conventional beginning, middle and ending. And for all the technical
      excellence in the visuals, Spielberg still does not get it that when any
      kind of airborne or submarine vehicles turns, it must bank to generate
      the lift for the turn. Lots of other little inaccuracies to go along
      with this. But as mentioned, the visuals are superb, and the acting is
      superb. The violence is tame compared to what we usually expect, and
      the sex is almost nonexistent. Too disturbing for little ones though,
      unless you want them up all night, and peeing the bed for a couple of
      years into the future.

      Now, if you can just let go of yourself and enjoy one wild ride, without
      demanding that Spielberg be better than he usually is, or that Kubrik's
      whacked-out presence not reveal itself, this movie will set your brain
      abuzz. It asks us some serious questions, knowing we already know the
      answers, but it is still thought provoking just the same. And there are
      mysteries, not just screenplay mistakes, that are left for us to sort
      out on our own. There is much of the flavor of Myst, and a tour de
      force of special sets and special effects that showcase the state of
      that art. And ultimately, it's a love story, a story of hope and hurt.
      Its an all too human tragedy, experienced by a machine.

      Gary L.

      Kevin Ross wrote:

      > I went to see A.I. tonight. I thought it was a very good movie, and well
      > worth the time. Some parts were obviously rushed, such as the development of
      > Davids' relationship with his family. They must have cut something out.
      > However, I thought some of the ethical issues raised were fairly
      > interesting. The visuals were quite interesting.
      >
      > This is NOT a typical Spielberg 'ET' style movie. Leave the kids home, they
      > probably won't get it, and there are some parts of the movie that are rather
      > violent.
      >
      > Kevin

    • dan michaels
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 1, 2001
        Gary Livick wrote:
        And ultimately, it's a love story, a story of hope and hurt.
        > Its an all too human tragedy, experienced by a machine.

        Interesting, of the 5 or so story lines in the movie, I found this
        one to be the weakest. Once you put a droid together that has all of
        the other features, it would seem to be too easy to add in a "love"
        algorithm invoking the type of behavior specifically as manifest in
        the movie. Spielberg had some real unused potential in those other
        story lines, eg, the Teddy Bear and the F.Fair sequences.

        BTW, everyone would give Spielberg/Kubrick/Aldiss credit for double
        meanings and hidden innuendos. Someone suggested this David might
        have some symbolic relationship to Micelangelo's David. Anyone buy
        this ??????

        cheers,
        - dan michaels