R/C Gyro question

  • Randy Gamage
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2001
      Wanted to see if anyone could shed some light on controlling this R/C Gyro
      I bought recently, which is used for radio control helicopters.

      It is a Telebee Heading Lock Piezo Gyro (GR701)

      I understand the normal mode of operation - You plug a servo into the servo
      port, and your command signal into the RX 1-4 port (normally comes from the
      R/C receiver), and the gyro passes the command signal directly to the servo
      if it is stationary. If it is rotating, it compresses or stretches the
      servo pulse, proportional to the angular rate. This is called Rate mode in
      the instruction sheet.

      There is another port, called RX-AUX, that allows you to change to Heading
      Lock mode, which shifts the output proportional to angular position
      (heading) rather than rate. It does the integral for you. This would be
      great for my application (keeping Vito from falling over), but I don't know
      what kind of signal it needs to switch to this mode.

      The instructions say to switch your transmitter Aux/Gear switch to change
      modes. The Aux/Gear lead from your receiver plugs into the RX-AUX port on
      the gyro. I'm thinking this is some sort of digital command, used for
      putting down landing gear, or other on/off needs for aircraft - I just
      don't know what form it takes voltage-wise, and of course none of the R/C
      modeler people can tell me.

      Thanks in advance for your help.

      Randy Gamage
      http://members.nbci.com/rgamage
    • Dan Chiodo
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 1, 2001
        Hey Randy:

        It's the same type of signal (1ms-2ms pulse width) except it's set
        with a switch instead of a pot on the transmitter (when the switch is
        set in one position you get a 1ms pulse, in the other you get a 2ms
        pulse, nothing in-between). This is normally used for things like
        landing gear where you don't need any thing in-between. So in your
        case just send a 1ms-pulse stream and see if it puts the gyro in the
        correct mode, if not try a 2ms-pulse stream and that should do it.
        Hope this helps.

        Later
        Dan