Robothon thought's

  • wizard@sub-link.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 30, 2001
      Hello,

      I sat down this morning and read at least twenty if not more emails
      about how good the robothon was on Saturday. And, I agree with
      an exception; Who ever devised the layout for the stage and
      competition rings is either very tall or did not take in account the
      possible large numbers of people that would be standing around
      the front and side of the stages.

      I traveled 140+ miles from Yakima, with two other gentlemen to see
      the event. I brought a video camera and 35mm camera with me to
      record and take pictures of robots in competition... I got a grand
      total of 2 minutes of video footage of the robot mini-sumo... then I
      gave up becuase people kept PUSHING there way in front of me.

      There could have been a area for only people with video
      camera's.... Oh, wait a minute there was, if you were wearing a
      robothon or Seattle Robotics tee shirt; I beleive it was called the
      stage... the only place that had a good view....

      A suggestion keep everything else the same other than the
      stage.... Get some bleacher seating or something that has height
      to it... rise platforms or something for the next one.... I'm to happy
      with the situation and I noticed other people with video camera's
      that just gave up to and they looked alot more unhappy than me...

      I know it's a pain in the butt to put these events together... I've been
      stuck in the middle of put events together... even when I did not
      want the job....

      So, as I said, everything great but the STAGE and COMPETITION
      AREA's.... please, please, please change them next time... If you
      need help or ideas on how to do this, I have used riser platforms,
      were people are able to walk up to multiple levels off the main floor
      level... that would take care of the problem... the stage could also
      be placed in the middle of the floor area and have better access for
      everybody....

      Kevin
    • Doug Kelley
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 30, 2001
        Thanks Kevin, we appreciate the constructive criticism. Arena viewability is
        always tough because the robots are so small and the crowd is so large
        (somewhere between 3,000 and 5,000 people according to Seattle Center).

        Bleachers were not an option with Seattle Center (liability). Also, we
        couldn't spread the area in front of the stage out further because of fire
        restrictions; people had to be able to move freely in and out of the building.
        Spectators had the option of watching the 60" TV, but that didn't work for
        making your own film. Of course, we couldn't allow spectators on stage because
        contestants needed to be close to the contests without being between the
        contests and the spectators. Not an easy situation.

        Did you try the balconies? Those were some of the best seats in the house
        since they looked down directly to the contest area and were not normally
        crowded.

        This year's contests were easier to view than last year's but the crowd was
        larger. Next year, we'll emphasize contest viewing spaces even more. We
        realize we still have room for improvement.

        As a consolation, we had a professional videographer (on stage, of course!)
        taping most of Robothon. If the results are good, we'll make copies available
        to people. Feel free to email me privately with other suggestions to increase
        the number of people viewing the contests.

        Thanks!

        Doug

      • kyrephex@cs.com
        Message 3 of 3 , May 1, 2001
          I have to agree with the following comment - it was difficult to see the actual competition area, and I was glad to see there was a big screen tv showing the action. Most of the time I could see the tv but if it had been raised up about a foot, then I think everyone could've seen it. Also, it didn't really help when sat or stood right in front of the tv - then I couldn't see anything.

          Other than not always being able to see what was going on, the friends I brought enjoyed the event and would come again.