Wireless robot technology

  • Brian Boeckmann
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 30, 2001
      Hello.
      Does anyone know of a good way to wirelessly connect a computer and a small mobile robot? I am looking to transmit sound and also some digital information bidirectionally. Thanks for your time, Brian Boeckmann

    • Alan Fay
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 30, 2001

        Sent: 04/30/2001 1:09:25 PM
        Subject: [SeattleRobotics] Wireless robot technology

        Hello.
        Does anyone know of a good way to wirelessly connect a computer and a small mobile robot? I am looking to transmit sound and also some digital information bidirectionally. Thanks for your time, Brian Boeckmann

        Here is a link to "FireStick II".  It's a four-bit IR channel (like your tv remote), with data rates
        up to 2400 baud.  By "channel", I mean a matched transmitter and receiver, one for the computer,
        and the other for your 'bot.  I used the original "FireStick", whose transmitter had a range of 100 feet running off a 9V battery.  (could be powered from either a 9V or 5V DC supply)  This was for a programmable thermostat I did about a year ago.  I did not check to see if the signal was directional.    It may or may not be.  Our application was for a fixed thermostat transmitting heating/cooling control signals to a fixed controller; nothing was moving.
        This channel would certainly work for sending control codes wirelessly, at least at low data rates.

        --- Alan Fay
        --- EarthLink: It's your Internet.