Re: [SeattleRobotics] Re: New twist on gearboxes [long]

  • Alan King
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 2, 2001
      > > applications, including automobile transmissions. The Model T Ford
      > used a
      > > planetary transmission.
      > I think some still do.

      Basically every automatic transmission on the road has a dual
      planetary gear system. Different parts are hydraulically locked to the
      input shaft, output shaft, and casing to effect the different gear
      ratios, the bands and clutches are what grab the selected parts. There
      aren't very many other types of automatic transmission in use, and
      they're extremely rare. There are a few continuous gear ratio designs,
      and some very high end cars (Ferrari I think has one) have an 'automatic
      manual' where it's manual type tranny with seperate gear sets and an
      automatic shifting and clutch system. I'd bet $10 everyone on the list
      without $500,000 in the bank (that's everyone I assume) has only had
      automatic cars with the planetary type of transmission. Only reason I
      wouldn't bet much more is were all high enough on the geek meter here
      that someone might actually have something else lol.
      A little heavy duty for most of our stuff, but one from an automatic
      lawn tractor or something might be interesting, maybe even some very
      light car. What a mess they typically are to take apart though.
    • Kevin Ross
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 3, 2001
        After reading the description of this gearing system, it sounds quite
        similar to what you would find in a BOSCH cordless drill gearhead. I am
        afraid your ASCII diagram didn't to a thing for me, but the description
        sounds mighty close.

        Kevin

        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 8, 2001
          Bob,

          Check out this site
          http://members.tripod.com/Ashok_Banerjee/Meccanoville/Welcome.htm .

          He makes parts for the Meccano system and has a good selection of gears.

          Frank G. Haymes